GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Bmwolf21

Can't believe it got to 11:30 on Game Day with no GDT started, so I guess I'll step up to the plate. As such, I accept no responsibility for any Sabres' GDT jinx.

Game Notes, courtesy of Yahoo Sports:

Ottawa 41-28-7, 89 pts, 2nd NE, 5th Eastern Conference; 19-15-4 Road record

at

Buffalo 35-29-11, 81 pts., 4th NE, 10th Eastern Conference; 19-14-5 Home Record

Ottawa Notes:

C Jason Spezza had game-winning goals in each of Montreal G Carey Price's three previous starts against the Senators. ... Since taking over as Ottawa's coach on February 27, Bryan Murray has posted a record of 5-5-2. ... LW Dany Heatley has four goals and one assist during his four-game points streak.

Mar 25, 1:47 am EDT

Buffalo Notes:

The Sabres have seven games remaining, all against Northeast Division opponents. They currently are 11-11-3 against their divisional rivals. ... It was announced before Friday's game that C Tim Connolly was having season-ending hip surgery this Monday. In the last three seasons, Connolly has missed 127 of the Sabres' 246 games. ... Buffalo entered Friday's action tied with Ottawa for the third-most goals scored with 234. The club tallied just once in the loss to Toronto. ... G Ryan Miller started his 28th straight game. The franchise single-season record was set in 1976-77, when Gerry Desjardins started 39 in a row. ... Buffalo was attempting to win four straight games for the third time this season. The club's season high is six straight, accomplished from December 12-22.

Mar 22, 1:57 am EDT

I was wonder who would be the one to start this. I guess our collective enthausiasm has diminished. Its not over yet. I will hang on regardless.

I kept re-checking the calendar and schedule to make sure it was actually a game day. Couldn't believe that no one had started a thread already.

Anyway I don't know what to expect out of this maddeningly frustrating team. Will it be the team that comes out and works hard from the get-go, or will it be a team that keeps uttering the same "we need to work harder right from the beginning" phrases to the media after the game? Or can they somehow channel the third-period team from the Tampa game and play that way for 60 minutes.

Either way - regardless of whether Ottawa has been struggling lately, the Sens can embarrass any team if they don't come out with the right attitude from the opening faceoff, so the Sabres' young "D" will have their work cut out for themselves tonight.

Senators looked horrible again last night. Hopefully our boys can take advantage of them being in their gigantic rut and pull within one of Boston and possibly leap frog Washington.

Any idea who will be in net tonight for Ottawa?

I kept re-checking the calendar and schedule to make sure it was actually a game day. Couldn't believe that no one had started a thread already.

Anyway I don't know what to expect out of this maddeningly frustrating team. Will it be the team that comes out and works hard from the get-go, or will it be a team that keeps uttering the same "we need to work harder right from the beginning" phrases to the media after the game? Or can they somehow channel the third-period team from the Tampa game and play that way for 60 minutes.

Either way - regardless of whether Ottawa has been struggling lately, the Sens can embarrass any team if they don't come out with the right attitude from the opening faceoff, so the Sabres' young "D" will have their work cut out for themselves tonight.

I keep thinking it's Monday, so I had no clue it was missing. I've been out of work since 2/25 and I haven't been keeping track of the days to much. All I know is I am going in for shoulder surgery next month and probably won't be back to work until October/November.

Hopefully its weak glove-side like lastnight!

According to this it will be Gerber:

"The last two games, the goaltending hasn't been good enough," said Senators coach and GM Bryan Murray, who will come back with Gerber against the Sabres tonight. "Five goals against the Leafs and seven (last night). That's not good enough. Part of it is goaltending, part of it has to do with turnovers in our own end and an inability to break out cleanly, which you have to do in this league."

BTW - can we get a mod to pin this thread?

Just as long as the boys make sure they block any shots from the blueline.

Don't know what it is with Miller and Ottawa, but against the Sens he always seems to let in at least one folater from the point.

Time to start blocking some shots, I would say.

Its not just against the sens that he does this, although it does seem to happen just about every time we play them.

I think that Sabres are going to win tonight, mainly because 1) Ottawa is coming off a performance last night that saw their "starting" goaltender yanked/they gave up 7 goals; and 2) the Sabres don't make any sense this year, so this is precisely the kind of game they will win.

I think that Sabres are going to win tonight, mainly because 1) Ottawa is coming off a performance last night that saw their "starting" goaltender yanked/they gave up 7 goals; and 2) the Sabres don't make any sense this year, so this is precisely the kind of game they will win.

Unfortunately this year they have been very streaky. How many times this year have they actually W,W,L,W. They usually go W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L W,W,W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L,L ......... you get the point.

I do think they come out and, win or lose, play a great game. It might be a game where the Ottawa goalies stand on their heads after such weak performances. Teams always seem to get back on track against Buffalo.

Unfortunately this year they have been very streaky. How many times this year have they actually W,W,L,W. They usually go W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L W,W,W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L,L ......... you get the point.

I do think they come out and, win or lose, play a great game. It might be a game where the Ottawa goalies stand on their heads after such weak performances. Teams always seem to get back on track against Buffalo.

Yeah, I've always wondered if it's something we do(e.g. take them for granted coming in because of what they were doing) that makes them look so good, we have had some of the worst goalies look like Vezina candidates against us. When Dom was back there I always figured they elevated their game because of the competition but still happens. Go figure In my best Shitsburg dialect....

Anywho, this is the beginning of the rest of the season or the end. I also expect them to be game because anything less would be a total embarrassment. We are the better rested team and have no excuse for not leaving it all out on the ice...

I feel a win probably because we need it so bad and I like 5-2 Bflo... Comeon now Boys and lets just Get'r done ... :angry:

Guest Sloth

It'd be sweet if Buffalo won their last 7 games and Ottawa got knocked out of a playoff position. I wonder what would happen within Ottawa's organization if that happened?

Go Sabres tonight! We still have a chance!

- Normal screen name is scarygood1981.

my confidence in tonight's positive outcome was shaken when i saw the sens score last night. teams have a way of rebounding against us. who knows if emery or gerber will start, but can't you envision either one of them standing on their head in giving up maybe 1 goal the whole night.

my confidence in tonight's positive outcome was shaken when i saw the sens score last night. teams have a way of rebounding against us. who knows if emery or gerber will start, but can't you envision either one of them standing on their head in giving up maybe 1 goal the whole night.

or if shots start clanging off the posts, or Vanek just can't seem to slam home that open net shot, etc, etc, etc...

Is there an echo in here? Read up 4 posts before yours. I think you're stealing my material. :angry:

Just effin with ya man. ;)

It'd be sweet if Buffalo won their last 7 games and Ottawa got knocked out of a playoff position. I wonder what would happen within Ottawa's organization if that happened?

Go Sabres tonight! We still have a chance!

- Normal screen name is scarygood1981.

Can't you give us a subtle variation of scarygood1981?

lol your avatar is priceless

Archived