GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Bmwolf21

* Blowing a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period tells you all you need to know about the 2007-08 Sabres.

Exactly...it's a perfect synopsis of this team and shows how they rarely were able to finish what they started. Just think back to the following losses:

*A SO loss to the Bruins in February where they held a 2-0 lead and couldn't get the tack-on goals to put the game away.

*The SO loss to Philly where they had a 3-0 lead and couldn't hold it.

*Last night.

That's 4 points they lost right there and I could probably dig up a lot more. The '06 & '07 Sabres would have never let themselves get complacent and think the game was done. I think we know why.

* Who do I cheer for in the playoffs now?

Any Canadian team not from Ottawa.

I agree with doohickie. pretty sure cambell was on the team when we were out of the playoffs, there is no gauranty that philly will be there, and ny is good because of avery, he's there leader. not overrated drury.

How is Drury overrated? Because he's not a Sabre now, that makes him overrated?

Exactly...it's a perfect synopsis of this team and shows how they rarely were able to finish what they started. Just think back to the following losses:

*A SO loss to the Bruins in February where they held a 2-0 lead and couldn't get the tack-on goals to put the game away.

*Last night.

That's 4 points they lost right there and I could probably dig up a lot more. The '06 & '07 Sabres would have never let themselves get complacent and think the game was done. I think we know why.

Any Canadian team not from Ottawa.

The STL game in Dec.

I am not saying one is to blame... It takes two to tango... There was no stopping them two from leaving and I for one wouldn't have begged them to stay... Time to move on.

I don't think they failed mightly... Maybe by last's standard... IMO, what team would have had this much success this year given the situation.

Oh... After last year, there was no way in hell that magm't would have said: "We will give the ole college try next year, but we will be better in the future!" No way in hell... That is maybe what they were thinking though!

Maybe I am too Pollyanna... But it has become a solid org. with young talent through the ranks... Why the doom and gloom?

Sorry E - I'm not buying it, not one bit. Two straight ECF trips to out of the playoffs? That's failure, no matter how Pollyanna you want to get. Roy, Pominville and Paille are the only forwards who I felt improved a lot. Max and Vanek regressed. Others simply held serve - Gaustad, Miller, Kotalik, Stafford. The defense and the system were exposed.

The GM came out at the July presser and admitted "we won't be as competitive next year without those guys (CD and DB.)" Mission accomplished.

Do I hope the Sabres run the table and somehow sneak into the playoffs? Absolutely. Do I see it happening? Sadly, no.

Why the doom and gloom? Seriously? :blink:

I want to see people on this board defending Lindy's defensive scheme now. It's horrible. Leaving guys wide open, especially from the point.

Do you really think that is by-design philosophy - leave the front of the net open? Ugh....

I wanted to flip sh!t over last night after this loss and also expected to wake up and find out it was a nightmare, but hopefully....hopefully the powers that-be get to see a few more of the glaring weaknesses we have at D before this season is over and understand something needs to be done about it heading in to next year. That is what I am going to hang my hope on to.

I'm not giving up the faith yet.....but man it is tough to consider not seeing these guys in the playoffs this year.

Guest Sloth

At least Ottawa makes changes w/ their management when things are messed up. When is Buffalo going to do this? I want Lindy to stay, but I want Darcy and definitely Larry to go. Buffalo is in need for a change. A GM that truly understands who should be kept and who should be let go needs to come to Buffalo. A GM who is willing to sign key players to deals longer then 3 years. Yes, Roy and Vanek were signed to long term deals, but what will the Sabres messed up management do w/ Miller and Pominville. They need to offer them 6 or 7 year deals and a good deal of money in order to keep them. Management also has to do it right away. If Miller is unsigned by the start of the 08/09 season, he will not be a Sabre in the 09/10 season. I just don't understand how management could have messed up something that was so good. Quinn and Darcy need to go. They are destroying the Sabres organization. Tom G. said in order for the Sabres to make money they have to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. If he knows this, why does he let the problems to continue? If management continues their methods, it'll be very difficult for the Sabres to make it to the second round of the playoffs in the years to come.

At least Ottawa makes changes w/ their management when things are messed up. When is Buffalo going to do this? I want Lindy to stay, but I want Darcy and definitely Larry to go. Buffalo is in need for a change. A GM that truly understands who should be kept and who should be let go needs to come to Buffalo. A GM who is willing to sign key players to deals longer then 3 years. Yes, Roy and Vanek were signed to long term deals, but what will the Sabres messed up management do w/ Miller and Pominville. They need to offer them 6 or 7 year deals and a good deal of money in order to keep them. Management also has to do it right away. If Miller is unsigned by the start of the 08/09 season, he will not be a Sabre in the 09/10 season. I just don't understand how management could have messed up something that was so good. Quinn and Darcy need to go. They are destroying the Sabres organization. Tom G. said in order for the Sabres to make money they have to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. If he knows this, why does he let the problems to continue? If management continues their methods, it'll be very difficult for the Sabres to make it to the second round of the playoffs in the years to come.

I despise Quinn, but he is not going anywhere and the only way Darcy or Lindy leave is if they do it on their own. LQ will not rock the boat in terms of Lindy or Darcy knowing that his perfect little world may crumble if he upsets the apple cart.

*Last night.

You forgot the Jan 1 loss to Pittsburgh. That was when I first got worried that the Sabres were not playoff caliber.

Guest Sloth
I despise Quinn, but he is not going anywhere and the only way Darcy or Lindy leave is if they do it on their own. LQ will not rock the boat in terms of Lindy or Darcy knowing that his perfect little world may crumble if he upsets the apple cart.

The head of the Sabres organization is Tom G. Why can't he simply give LQ the pink slip? It's quite apparent that LQ is the main reason for the Sabres demise. Something has to be corrected, and that something is LQ. If LQ is gone, Darcy and Lindy can make the decisions that will improve this teams play and how people across the league view the Sabres.

The head of the Sabres organization is Tom G. Why can't he simply give LQ the pink slip? It's quite apparent that LQ is the main reason for the Sabres demise. Something has to be corrected, and that something is LQ. If LQ is gone, Darcy and Lindy can make the decisions that will improve this teams play and how people across the league view the Sabres.

Let me spell it out for you. Quinny is TG's right hand man who has been with him both before and after the purchase of the team. Quinn knows how to suck ass and TG enjoys every minute of it.

Therefore....LQ will not be fired.

Guest Sloth
Let me spell it out for you. Quinny is TG's right hand man who has been with him both before and after the purchase of the team. Quinn knows how to suck ass and TG enjoys every minute of it.

Therefore....LQ will not be fired.

Tom G. is a businessman first. If he's losing money due to LQ, he'd be nuts to keep him on his staff. Tom G. bought this team to make money, not to lose money. Tom G., along w/ almost any other sane Sabre fan, employee, etc.., knows LQ is a HUGE reason for the Sabres problems. LQ is wasting Tom G.'s money. A friendly dismissal would be appropriate.

Tom G. is a businessman first. If he's losing money due to LQ, he'd be nuts to keep him on his staff. Tom G. bought this team to make money, not to lose money. Tom G., along w/ almost any other sane Sabre fan, employee, etc.., knows LQ is a HUGE reason for the Sabres problems. LQ is wasting Tom G.'s money. A friendly dismissal would be appropriate.

The problem is that Larry Quinn has more lives than a tabby cat living in cloning facility. He'd find a way to convince Tom that the problem is Darcy and/or someone else.

Guest Sloth

Ok, if Larry dumbass Quinn is able to get Darcy and/or someone else fired and the Sabres continue to miss the playoffs, won't it be clear enough for Tom to realize the problems the Sabres are facing are caused by Larry Quinn?

Guest Sloth

Wouldn't it be clear enough if Lindy walks out on the Sabres? Ruff is one of the top coaches in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruff let people know why he walked or refused to resign w/ Buffalo. The truth would be out there and Tom would have to deal w/ it. Larry couldn't do anything to fix that. What coach or gm would want to work w/ LQ? Lindy is one of the most respected coaches in the NHL. People would listen to him.

How is Drury overrated? Because he's not a Sabre now, that makes him overrated?

Of course he is...when i picked the sabres to MISS the playoffs back in September, remember i was a moron because 'we will be JUST fine without Drury, he sucks!" <_<

Of course he is...when i picked the sabres to MISS the playoffs back in September, remember i was a moron because 'we will be JUST fine without Drury, he sucks!" <_<

I was way ahead of you..I get the "I told you so award" I predicted it the day they lost Drury.... :nana:

Actually I am passing the blame to wjag for his slightly earlier post:

Way too early to call it an insurance marker.

I hate when I'm right... <_<

We gave up four goals in the final 6 minutes of the game. That's desperation hockey right there, boys.

LOL.. Well it seemed like a good call at the time and by the way they were playing. I'll take the hit for this and the entire 2007-2008 season. I watched way too much bad hockey this year... I'm still stunned how quickly the wheels came off the bus last night.

I was so PO'd about CRAPTV having the audio a full five seconds behind the video that I couldn't process what my eyes were seeing and my ears were hearing. It was surrreal.. I saw the goals long before I heard RJ call them..

LOL.. Well it seemed like a good call at the time and by the way they were playing. I'll take the hit for this and the entire 2007-2008 season. I watched way too much bad hockey this year... I'm still stunned how quickly the wheels came off the bus last night.

I was so PO'd about CRAPTV having the audio a full five seconds behind the video that I couldn't process what my eyes were seeing and my ears were hearing. It was surrreal.. I saw the goals long before I heard RJ call them..

:lol:

No worries, I guess. I think the boys thought it was an insurance marker as well. You'd think they would know the danger in letting the Sens get back into it, since they just put 5 3rd-period goals in the net the game before, but I guess that was ancient history to the Sabres... <_<

Archived