As of tonight - guess who the highest scoring team in the league is?

SDS

What you "missed" (in bold)

Actually, it's just two different ways of looking at it.

that is a bad interpretation. You wouldn't say some scrub from the AHL is the highest scoring player in the league because he has one goal in one game... since he is on pace for 82 goals. would you?

Right now the Sabres has scored the most goals in the NHL. Period.

that is a bad interpretation. You wouldn't say some scrub from the AHL is the highest scoring player in the league because he has one goal in one game... since he is on pace for 82 goals. would you?

Right now the Sabres has scored the most goals in the NHL. Period.

Well, there a huge difference between comparing a player with one game to other players with 60+ games and comparing the goal pace of a team with 73 games played to that of one with just single additional game. That's why they say things like "among players that have played in at least ____ games ..." I agree that right now the Sabres have scored more goals than any other team. However, I would say that the Sens are the most productive team on average. At the 73 game mark, they clearly have more goals than we had. At the 74 game mark, we don't know. If they score less than three in their next game, we have the lead, but if they score more than three, they do. It's like last night; you couldn't say if Buffalo or Washington was the higher ranking team, because even though they had one more point, for the same number of games (74), we could have anywhere from one less point to one more. They were shown in 9th place, but at both the 73 game and 74 game marks, we had more points than they did. Likewise, you can say we are the highest scoring team, but really it's not quite fair, since all teams have not played the same number of games.

Like I said, it's just another way of looking at it (why I put missed in the quotation marks). Both are correct statements.

What you "missed" (in bold)

Actually, it's just two different ways of looking at it.

I was happy to see that a board was started by someone pointing out that Buffalo is "the highest scoring team in the league." I expected to see more :thumbsup: and :D but instead it was a pissing match over goals/game versus overall goals. What the F$&*^CK??? Perhaps you are a sore loser that left tonight's game after the 2nd period? Or perhaps you are just a piece of sh!t tool! Does someone always have to ruin a good thing???

I was happy to see that a board was started by someone pointing out that Buffalo is "the highest scoring team in the league." I expected to see more :thumbsup: and :D but instead it was a pissing match over goals/game versus overall goals. What the F$&*^CK??? Perhaps you are a sore loser that left tonight's game after the 2nd period? Or perhaps you are just a piece of sh!t tool! Does someone always have to ruin a good thing???

Yes, desiring accuracy makes one a tool. That's brilliant logic right there.

only management...sorry couldnt resist :nana:

Yes, desiring accuracy makes one a tool. That's brilliant logic right there.

"It was the third straight win by the NHL?s highest-scoring team, which pulled within one point of Philadelphia for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot. They have eight games remaining." Not that the Buffalo News has all the facts, but they also made that statement. Think about how negative and piss-poor your life must be when someone from the Buffalo News Sports section has a better outlook on life than you.

"It was the third straight win by the NHL?s highest-scoring team, which pulled within one point of Philadelphia for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot. They have eight games remaining." Not that the Buffalo News has all the facts, but they also made that statement. Think about how negative and piss-poor your life must be when someone from the Buffalo News Sports section has a better outlook on life than you.

:lol:

Think about how negative and piss-poor your life must be when someone from the Buffalo News Sports section has a better outlook on life than you.

A better outlook on life? Are you mad? I'm as optimistic as you'll find on this board. I'm so optimistic when it comes to Buffalo sports that it sickens my uncle. Care to try to make yet another idiotic conclusion?

A better outlook on life? Are you mad? I'm as optimistic as you'll find on this board. I'm so optimistic when it comes to Buffalo sports that it sickens my uncle. Care to try to make yet another idiotic conclusion?

I think he was referring to Carpandean...

I wasn't the one that pointed out that the Sens were more productive. SDS asked what he missed. I explained the other point of view, even putting "missed" in quotes to show that he really hadn't missed anything, there was just another point of view. He questioned the logic and I justified it, taking time to again point out that his statement was not wrong.

I'm one of the most positive posters on the board, almost to a fault (ask tom webster and stenbaro). I didn't leave or even give up on them in the 2nd, I went and put on one of my jerseys despite the fact that nobody else was here (well, my girlfriend was, but she was asleep upstairs), because I thought they needed the good mojo. Say what you want about my defense of logic (sorry, I'm a trained research academic*), but don't question my fanhood!

* before that gives you the wrong picture, I also play hockey every week

since scoring goals is not the problem, but we still sit out of the play-offs, does that mean goaltending is the problem? Hmmmmm.........

No. If you asked if the defense is the problem I probably would agree, but I've already pointed out that our offense, high-scoring as it is, is very streaky and inconsistent. When they're on, they can run up the score quickly. When they're off, they're invisible.

since scoring goals is not the problem, but we still sit out of the play-offs, does that mean goaltending is the problem? Hmmmmm.........

Miller's Last three years:

Year

GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%

2007-08 68 32 24 9 3985 170 190 93 2.56 .911

2006-07 63 40 16 6 3692 168 188 62 2.73 .911

2005-06 48 30 14 3 2862 124 144 01 2.60 .914

Yup, I can see the difference...

The difference is leadership. They have the skill to run it up, but tend to crack in tight games.

Note: This table on nhlnumbers is great.

Note: This table on nhlnumbers is great.

What's really interesting is that they show our average age as 26.745, but that includes a lot of old guys that are out with injuries. The average age for last night's lineup was 25.100. The average of age of players that were actually on the ice (i.e., not including back-up goaltender T-bo, who is 32) was only 24.736 and, strangely enough, both our forwards and defense averaged exactly 24.667.

Our veterans: T-bo (32), Pratt (31), Hecht (30), Lydman (29), Tallinder (28), Ales (28), Max (27), which is surprisingly similar to the list of players that I'd like them to trade away (with the exception of Hecth of course and, to a lesser extent, Pratt).

What's really interesting is that they show our average age as 26.745, but that includes a lot of old guys that are out with injuries. The average age for last night's lineup was 25.100. The average of age of players that were actually on the ice (i.e., not including back-up goaltender T-bo, who is 32) was only 24.736 and, strangely enough, both our forwards and defense averaged exactly 24.667.

Our veterans: T-bo (32), Pratt (31), Hecht (30), Lydman (29), Tallinder (28), Ales (28), Max (27), which is surprisingly similar to the list of players that I'd like them to trade away (with the exception of Hecth of course and, to a lesser extent, Pratt).

The thing that really sticks out to me is that Hecht is our only forward who has hit 30. Just imagine how much more deadly that group can be with a couple more years under their belt? They core guys should have a good number of years ahead of them playing together.

The thing that really sticks out to me is that Hecht is our only forward who has hit 30. Just imagine how much more deadly that group can be with a couple more years under their belt? They core guys should have a good number of years ahead of them playing together.

Could it be that DR has an idea of what he is doing?

The thing that really sticks out to me is that Hecht is our only forward who has hit 30.
Could it be that DR has an idea of what he is doing?

Sort of. This is both our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. Our future looks bright, but if they had brought in just a couple of veteran leaders this year, even if they were on short (2 year) contracts, this team may have had a little more stability/consistency. However, I digress before this turns into another one of "those" threads.

Archived