Gerbe Article in Boston Globe

Tolstoy

I know there are many doubters about Nathan Gerbe--concerning his size and attitude. I shared some of these doubts. But after reading this five page feature in the Boston Globe today, I am sold. He is a brilliant skater and scorer who plays day in and out with passion and tenacity, and is now getting national attention. Give Darcy credit for drafting this one. Someday, I predict, he will be one of our favorite Sabres.

Article link: http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008...heights/?page=1

Year after year with our injuries, there is always a place for a spark. I was curious about Kessel myself, because I thought his name was floated earlier this year as trade bait. I love to have players with chemistry around; sure would help the dice rolling lines every game.

Year after year with our injuries, there is always a place for a spark. I was curious about Kessel myself, because I thought his name was floated earlier this year as trade bait. I love to have players with chemistry around; sure would help the dice rolling lines every game.

No, Kessel wasn't really trade bait. It was a rumor that Boston would be willing to part with Kessel for the chance to acquire Hossa. Apparently, they were not willing to part with him after all, and now Hossa sits on the IR in Pittsburgh. No, the Sabres will not be getting Kessel anytime soon, sadly.

No, Kessel wasn't really trade bait. It was a rumor that Boston would be willing to part with Kessel for the chance to acquire Hossa. Apparently, they were not willing to part with him after all, and now Hossa sits on the IR in Pittsburgh. No, the Sabres will not be getting Kessel anytime soon, sadly.

would you have done something for soupy and kessel? just an off the cuff question. ;) I am not a huge Kessel guy myself.

Many on here have doubted him, but I've always felt that his game will translate well to the Sabres. He's a lot like Derek Roy. Small, but with tremendous heart. I hope the Sabres sign him this year so that they can fill their AHL team.

I'll admit that everything I know about him I just learned reading the article (awesome find, BTW Tolstoy). But after reading it, I thought the same thing in terms of the similarities to Roy's game.

...Unless the NHL continues its regression toward hooking, holding, and interference, then all bets are off on a guy who's under 5 and a half feet tall and tips the scales at a case of beer over a buck and a half.

The Globe puts out a lot of puff pieces at this time of the year about local college hockey players, so I wouldn't put too much weight into that. The timing does seem a bit strange though, as his team has tailed off very badly over the past month.

There have been some questions as to his on-ie antics as well such as a couple of taunting type incidents. However, I think that if he does take instruction as well as the PR type article claims, then I think Lindy and Randy (provided that Randy doesn't get a shot next year for the bigs) can turn him into a NHL player. Theo Fleury could play so I think Gerbe can make it too. Very sad how Theo's personal demons brought him down though.

Can they sign this kid right now? Because what this Sabres team needs right NOW is some heart.

Actually once his college season is over the Sabres technically could sign him to a pro contract, but that is unlikely to happen until the summer. That said, you can almost bank on it that he will be signed then. The cupboard is pretty bare with forward talent prospects, so if we're going to stock a full AHL team in '08, we'll need him.

There were some rumors floating around earlier in the month that the Sabres would sign Tim Kennedy to a pro deal once his college season was over so that he could play some in Rochester to give him a head start on development.

Either way, I am really looking forward to seeing both of these prospects develop in the AHL next year along with the d-man Butler and the goalie Enroth, both whom I can bet will be signed as well.

Actually once his college season is over the Sabres technically could sign him to a pro contract, but that is unlikely to happen until the summer. That said, you can almost bank on it that he will be signed then. The cupboard is pretty bare with forward talent prospects, so if we're going to stock a full AHL team in '08, we'll need him.

There were some rumors floating around earlier in the month that the Sabres would sign Tim Kennedy to a pro deal once his college season was over so that he could play some in Rochester to give him a head start on development.

Either way, I am really looking forward to seeing both of these prospects develop in the AHL next year along with the d-man Butler and the goalie Enroth, both whom I can bet will be signed as well.

Actually, the players are free to sign at any point. Most of the time the teams will respect the programs and wait until the season is over, but there is no restriction. There have been at least 3 mid-season defections this year, the biggest being Kyle Okposo leaving Minnesota to sign with the Islanders.

Many on here have doubted him, but I've always felt that his game will translate well to the Sabres. He's a lot like Derek Roy. Small, but with tremendous heart. I hope the Sabres sign him this year so that they can fill their AHL team.

Great, just what the Sabres need, another player under 6 feet tall. While the rest of the NHL is getting bigger, the Sabres keep shrinking. Give the guy half a season on this team and that will be long gone too.

Boy do I feel positive today. ;)

Did you guys see the penalty shot goal Gerbe scored against Providence? Mike Harrington posted it in the Sabres Edge blog. Sweet move...

XiYUrSOqblM

Was a nice move. If he ever gets cocky like that in the NHL someone will lay him out. Could you imagine if he did that in front of Hextall or Billy Smith after scoring.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to pop up over here. The hand to the ear is exactly what I've been talking about with him. Obviously his size is the huge question mark, but the lack of maturity and signs that he'll may not be capable to move beyond that are two of the biggest reasons why I don't expect much from him in the future.

Great, just what the Sabres need, another player under 6 feet tall. While the rest of the NHL is getting bigger, the Sabres keep shrinking.

I disagree with this whole-heartedly:

Forwards

# Player Height Weight

61 Maxim Afinogenov 6' 0"

56 Steve Bernier 6' 2"

19 Tim Connolly 6' 1"

28 Paul Gaustad 6' 5"

55 Jochen Hecht "A" 6' 1"

36 Patrick Kaleta 5' 11"

12 Ales Kotalik 6' 1"

22 Adam Mair 6' 1"

20 Daniel Paille 6' 0"

76 Andrew Peters 6' 4"

29 Jason Pominville "C" 6' 0"

9 Derek Roy 5' 9"

37 Michael Ryan 6' 1"

21 Drew Stafford 6' 2"

26 Thomas Vanek 6' 2"

Defensemen

# Player Height

3 Michael Funk 6' 4"

45 Dmitri Kalinin 6' 3"

5 Toni Lydman 6' 1"

38 Nathan Paetsch 6' 1"

4 Nolan Pratt 6' 3"

44 Andrej Sekera 6' 0"

6 Jaroslav Spacek 5' 11"

10 Henrik Tallinder 6' 3"

34 Mike Weber 6' 2"

Three players under six feet tall, one of whom is their best player, the other two are their best hitters.

I know there are many doubters about Nathan Gerbe--concerning his size and attitude. I shared some of these doubts. But after reading this five page feature in the Boston Globe today, I am sold. He is a brilliant skater and scorer who plays day in and out with passion and tenacity, and is now getting national attention. Give Darcy credit for drafting this one. Someday, I predict, he will be one of our favorite Sabres.

Article link: http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008...heights/?page=1

Thanks nice article. Reminds me of a Theo Fluery type. Everyone thought he was too small and thats back awhile when they used to allow hockey muggings on the ice and he had a nice little career. If he could come close to that type of play then there's no doubt in my mind he will play In NHL.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to pop up over here. The hand to the ear is exactly what I've been talking about with him. Obviously his size is the huge question mark, but the lack of maturity and signs that he'll may not be capable to move beyond that are two of the biggest reasons why I don't expect much from him in the future.

I haven't seen much of him so I can't speak of his attitude, but I don't have a problem with that "celebration." There's a big-name NHL'er who does similar stuff after scoring and everyone just shrugs it off as "his love for the game."

I haven't seen much of him so I can't speak of his attitude, but I don't have a problem with that "celebration." There's a big-name NHL'er who does similar stuff after scoring and everyone just shrugs it off as "his love for the game."

IMO opinion there is nothing wrong with it either if it is a true love of the game vs an in your face thing. If it's an in your face thing then I would definitely want him to can it.....

IMO opinion there is nothing wrong with it either if it is a true love of the game vs an in your face thing. If it's an in your face thing then I would definitely want him to can it.....

A couple NHL-style butt-kickings should stop that real quick...

Thanks nice article. Reminds me of a Theo Fluery type. Everyone thought he was too small and thats back awhile when they used to allow hockey muggings on the ice and he had a nice little career. If he could come close to that type of play then there's no doubt in my mind he will play In NHL.

No offense, but what other current or former player could he remind you of, Zdeno Chara?

Sorry for the double post.

This is at least the third time I've seen a taunting celebration from him. I'm not quite sure who he's taunting this time as it was in his home arena, but its still bush league. He's definitely got maturity issues and may not be smart enough to correct this problem. You really have to wonder how long he'd survive at the pro level, especially since they don't seem to care when players try to hurt each other.

Archived