Gerbe Article in Boston Globe

Tolstoy

Sorry for the double post.

This is at least the third time I've seen a taunting celebration from him. I'm not quite sure who he's taunting this time as it was in his home arena, but its still bush league. He's definitely got maturity issues and may not be smart enough to correct this problem. You really have to wonder how long he'd survive at the pro level, especially since they don't seem to care when players try to hurt each other.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Either he'll mature, and the posters here will think management are geniuses, or he won't, and management will need to be fired again.

Sorry for the double post.

This is at least the third time I've seen a taunting celebration from him. I'm not quite sure who he's taunting this time as it was in his home arena, but its still bush league. He's definitely got maturity issues and may not be smart enough to correct this problem. You really have to wonder how long he'd survive at the pro level, especially since they don't seem to care when players try to hurt each other.

You know what's funny, remember when Ovechkin did that in Buffalo after scoring and everyone here wanted to see someone knock him through the boards? Well now that a future Sabre might be doing the same thing, it seems to be okay with some. I know we were booing AO for his hit on Briere, but taunting after a goal is still uncalled for if you ask me. He will learn his lesson real quick coming up through the ranks if he keeps it up IMO. It should be out of his system if he ever gets to the NHL.

You know what's funny, remember when Ovechkin did that in Buffalo after scoring and everyone here wanted to see someone knock him through the boards? Well now that a future Sabre might be doing the same thing, it seems to be okay with some. I know we were booing AO for his hit on Briere, but taunting after a goal is still uncalled for if you ask me. He will learn his lesson real quick coming up through the ranks if he keeps it up IMO. It should be out of his system if he ever gets to the NHL.

Comparing those two players is just a tad bit absurd. No wait, its completely ridiculous.

Yes, I had to start my profile all over again, and I'm not too happy about losing my posts either (what....35, 36??)......

Anyway, in regards to his taunting, that's pretty much the norm at the College level, because these are kids, that's what kids do, especially the extremely talented ones. Once he starts playing with others who share his talent level, the antics will go, I'm sure. Also, to say he's not smart enough to knock off the taunting is silly, mainly because he's wearing a B.C. Jersey, which last I checked, is a pretty good College. Calling him not smart enough is a non-founded low blow to his character, plus, I re-iterate, he's still a KID.......

Comparing those two players is just a tad bit ubsurd. No wait, its completely ridiculous.

Why, because one's Russian and one's North American? I wasn't comparing their skills, just their antics my brother. Hey, I am one of the few agreeing with you in this thread, wtf!!!

By the way, your spelling is a bit absurd. :unsure:

Yes, I had to start my profile all over again, and I'm not too happy about losing my posts either (what....35, 36??)......

Anyway, in regards to his taunting, that's pretty much the norm at the College level, because these are kids, that's what kids do, especially the extremely talented ones. Once he starts playing with others who share his talent level, the antics will go, I'm sure. Also, to say he's not smart enough to knock off the taunting is silly, mainly because he's wearing a B.C. Jersey, which last I checked, is a pretty good College. Calling him not smart enough is a non-founded low blow to his character, plus, I re-iterate, he's still a KID.......

Have you actually been to many college games? I can count on one hand the number of players I've seen taunt a goalie. Any others haven't done it multiple times. And as for the intelligence comments, read up on the kid a bit, specifically stuff from 3 years ago. BC lowered their academic standards to admit him. I really don't want to go much further into it than that, but if you're curious, I'm sure google is your friend.

Have you actually been to many college games? I can count on one hand the number of players I've seen taunt a goalie. Any others haven't done it multiple times. And as for the intelligence comments, read up on the kid a bit, specifically stuff from 3 years ago. BC lowered their academic standards to admit him. I really don't want to go much further into it than that, but if you're curious, I'm sure google is your friend.

Knowing that you have probably seen more of Gerbe than most on this board...

Setting aside his maturity level, what do you think his upside is? Can he be an NHL player and if so, could he eventually be a 2nd line forward?

Thanks!

Knowing that you have probably seen more of Gerbe than most on this board...

Setting aside his maturity level, what do you think his upside is? Can he be an NHL player and if so, could he eventually be a 2nd line forward?

Thanks!

I can't get by the size. I don't know how someone that small can thrive in this league, especially given the refusal to cut back on the clutch and grab. Sure, he has a shot, but I think that road is a much tougher one than most other prospects face. People will say that he's so dominant at the college level, but I'll counter that with this list. Sure, there are some winners on there, but it just goes to show you how much of a different world the college game is.

I can't get by the size. I don't know how someone that small can thrive in this league, especially given the refusal to cut back on the clutch and grab. Sure, he has a shot, but I think that road is a much tougher one than most other prospects face. People will say that he's so dominant at the college level, but I'll counter that with this list. Sure, there are some winners on there, but it just goes to show you how much of a different world the college game is.

When I'm looking at size issues, the thing I tend to look at is how good is the guy on the forecheck.

Not that I've watched a lot of NCAA recently, but with Gerbe the times I have watched he has been pretty impressive. He isn't afraid to be the first one into the boards and can create a surprising amount of lower leverage which makes it hard to separate him from the puck. That he is cocky doesn't bother me.... players adjust....D. Roy for example.

If there is a problem with him for NHL prospects it is that he'll have to be top 6 forward good for most teams because I can't see him on a traditional checking or energy line. We'll see, I wouldn't count him out.

When I'm looking at size issues, the thing I tend to look at is how good is the guy on the forecheck.

Not that I've watched a lot of NCAA recently, but with Gerbe the times I have watched he has been pretty impressive. He isn't afraid to be the first one into the boards and can create a surprising amount of lower leverage which makes it hard to separate him from the puck. That he is cocky doesn't bother me.... players adjust....D. Roy for example.

If there is a problem with him for NHL prospects it is that he'll have to be top 6 forward good for most teams because I can't see him on a traditional checking or energy line. We'll see, I wouldn't count him out.

You also have to remember that when they hit the pro level, players are significantly faster and stronger. Sure, Gerbe can improve in those categories as he gets older, but with that frame, there is far less room for improvement. Out of curiousity, who have you seen him play against? Obviously the talent range is going to be much wider from team to team in the NCAA.

You also have to remember that when they hit the pro level, players are significantly faster and stronger. Sure, Gerbe can improve in those categories as he gets older, but with that frame, there is far less room for improvement. Out of curiousity, who have you seen him play against? Obviously the talent range is going to be much wider from team to team in the NCAA.

For a while I was getting some games on my cable. I think it was Northeastern or Vermont and parts of some others (Maine?). I also liked what I saw in the frozen 4 last year so maybe it was Michigan State and North Dakota.

Archived