Zubrus: A big stiff?

bottlecap

I thought it was Mike "stonehands" Ryan

Sorry, HBO or Skin-e-max was playing Mighty Ducks 2 recently and I was thinking of the three-bar game between Gordon "Triple Deke" Bombay and Wolf "The Dentist" Stansson...

As our old friend Bruce Smith once said: "Sometimes a lot of pressure produces a diamond."

Alot of these Sabres have something to prove individually, like Zubrus, Briere, Drury, Pominville, Miler,

Conklin, Roy, Tallinder, Connolly and more. Hope they can pull together and win us a championship.

he is just so strong on the puck and wins a ton of battles in the corners. plus his physical play on defense is a key acquisition. exactly what this team needed.

When I read that, it suddenly became clear: The Sabres system must be terribly confusing to an outsider. There is so much forechecking when the D-men come up and the forwards have to cover for them, I think Zubie was afraid to forecheck himself; better to play it safe and not make the bonehead mistake that results in a goal. Thus, to us, it seemed like he was lazy, hanging back. The last couple of games, I think, he has started to get a better read on the overall flow of the team, and tonight it finally clicked for him. Not only was he doing the right thing, he was doing it in sync with the rest of the team.

Like I mentioned earlier:

My first impression was that Zubrus was useless. I've seen enough lately to hope it's just getting used to the team. We're used to guys coming up from Rochester and fitting right in, but they are conditioned to the Sabres style of play there.

I'm beginning to think that was exactly the issue. The Sabres play a complex team game. A good chunk of that is speed, but the other piece is making the *right* decision, following the flow and going where the rest of the team expects a player to be in a given situation. Because they play similarly in Rochester, players just come up and fit in. Because Zubie came from outside the organization, he played it safe at first which meant he was pretty much invisible.

I think he will only get better as the system gets more natural to him.

Archived