Zubrus: A big stiff?

bottlecap

So far he's looked like a passenger. A big lazy guy who doesn't show up every game, someone who "dumbs down" our high-speed game. We better hope he meshes with Max and/or Kotalik or this was a mistake. I wonder why we couldn't get Guerin as a rent a player. :oops:

I think he's looked better as of late and is still gettng acclimated to the Sabres style. Most of the Sabres players have been skating in this system going on 3 years, including the lock out year where many current Sabres were Amerks. Zubrus has been a good player everywhere he has been and I think he will start producing more. The reason we coldn't get Guerin was because St. Louis wanted Stafford.

I think he's looked better as of late and is still gettng acclimated to the Sabres style. Most of the Sabres players have been skating in this system going on 3 years, including the lock out year where many current Sabres were Amerks. Zubrus has been a good player everywhere he has been and I think he will start producing more. The reason we coldn't get Guerin was because St. Louis wanted Stafford.

Also, Regier did say they could not fit Guerin under the cap.

I think he's looked a lot better the last 2 games and I don't know how you can call him lazy... he's finished every check and never misses an opportunity to throw one... I think he played a lot better last game and you can tell he's getting used to where Drury and Ryan will be.

I think it was a good deal if he keeps it up and continues to get better, but I see him doing the little things and that is a plus.

My first impression was that Zubrus was useless. I've seen enough lately to hope it's just getting used to the team. We're used to guys coming up from Rochester and fitting right in, but they are conditioned to the Sabres style of play there.

But still, I look at the impact Forsberg, Roberts, Kyle Calder, etc., are having on their new teams and it's hard not to think Zubrus was a bit of a dud. This trade, I thought, was to shore us up for the playoff run- to get help for a banged-up lineup. Not about future years. Time to start playing, Dainius.

i definitely would not call him lazy - the effort has been there.

but he does seem to be struggling to fit in. i think that the chief reason for his struggles is that lindy has him playing right wing (with drury).

the line i'd heard on zubrus prior to the trade was that the guy's a pure center, and that he doesn't do well when moved around (i.e., he's no roy or gaustad in that regard).

so, zubrus is trying to adapt to a new system at a position where he probably does not feel comfortable.

given all that, i think he's done reasonably well. i also think it's reasonable to expect bigger and better things from him as the second season ramps up.

The guy got robbed from scoring in Atlanta and Pittsburgh as of late, you always seem him working hard along the boards in the O-ffensive zone and honestly I can see him only playing a bigger role as this team gets healthier and his line-mate options increase. When a guy skates as hard as he does good things will happen.

In the words of Lorentz and Jeannerete...he is doing all the little things that go unnoticed. He was soley responsible for keeping plays alive in the Pitt, Florida, and Tampa games, which resulted in goals. I am not saying he is flashy, but he has been active.

Also, Regier did say they could not fit Guerin under the cap.

Their salaries are 150,000 apart. I guess the Sabres are close to the cap. :blink:

IIRC, that was Ryan Smyth that Regier was talking about - that they were never in the Smyth "sweepstakes" because there was no way they could get his $3.5M into the Sabres' payroll structure.

I think Zubrus will be fine. Watch him in the corners and his work around the net - he has been solid. I think he is still trying to adjust to a new team, a new attacking system that has everybody thinking offense, and trying to adjust to new linemates as well. He should be fine, and is looking more comfortable the more he plays and practices in the system.

I think he's looked a lot better the last 2 games and I don't know how you can call him lazy... he's finished every check and never misses an opportunity to throw one... I think he played a lot better last game and you can tell he's getting used to where Drury and Ryan will be.

I think it was a good deal if he keeps it up and continues to get better, but I see him doing the little things and that is a plus.

My thoughts exactly. The last two games he has looked like a different player. He has been the only one who was really finishing his checks the past few games. Also, seeing how he isn't the fastest guy on the ice, it's gonna be easy to overlook him.

I like Zubrus. He brings a Hecht quality to Drury's line. Keeps the puck in play - clears space -

does nice work behind the net - good hands.

I thought Sullivan's comments today were shortsighted. I don't think we would have been nearly as effective on that road trip w/0 Zuuubie.

I like Zubrus. He brings a Hecht quality to Drury's line. Keeps the puck in play - clears space -

does nice work behind the net - good hands.

I thought Sullivan's comments today were shortsighted. I don't think we would have been nearly as effective on that road trip w/0 Zuuubie.

That does not sound like the Sullivan we know. <_<

I like Zubrus. He brings a Hecht quality to Drury's line.

That's probably the highest praise Zubrus has gotten in this thread. I think Hecht is a great overall player, a great "glue" player, and a hard worker. If Zubrus falls in along those lines, that would be fantastic.

i seem to like zubrus quite a bit. the two goals that he scored were both very nice "good" goals that shows his scoring ability. The comparison to hecht seems to be somewhat accurate, hes a bigger guy than hecht is, so zubrus has the ability to win tough battles along the boards and keep the play in the zone moving. i think hecht is much better in terms of skating on the rush, as i have yet to see zubby really be a part of a rush. regardless his play in both zones is much appreciated.

i dont know how we can say it was a good or bad trade after only a few weeks.

RE: Forsberg - he was just out for 2 weeks w/ an "upper body" injury. During his absense Predators had 3 games vs Red Wings and went 0-2-1. Sullivan would be loving that scenario w/ Sabres, he's rotten.

Glad to hear Nashville gets what they paid for. Losers. Upshall has been impressive with Philly. Nice move!

Forsberg had the OT winner against Detroit in his first game with Nashville. That's what I was referring to- talk about "immediate impact". The Buffalo News tries to paint a good face on his performance, but the undertone is that neither Lindy nor Zubrus himself is happy with his production since the trade.

I get the feeling from this article, that Zubie is a little frustated with his linemates, one who can't seem to finish in particular.

?The first 50 games I was averaging almost a point a game,? Zubrus said. ?Of course, there?s a competitive side, a part of you that always wants to do more. But I?ve had chances and my linemates have had chances. I don?t want to get too caught up into it and get frustrated. I don?t want to drive myself crazy about it.?

I get the feeling from this article, that Zubie is a little frustated with his linemates, one who can't seem to finish in particular.

?The first 50 games I was averaging almost a point a game,? Zubrus said. ?Of course, there?s a competitive side, a part of you that always wants to do more. But I?ve had chances and my linemates have had chances. I don?t want to get too caught up into it and get frustrated. I don?t want to drive myself crazy about it.?

You can't possibly be alluding to Mike "Three-Bar" Ryan, can you?

Archived