Last night's VS telecast was very reminiscent of....

Wraith

The Bills fans of this board will know what I'm talking about.

"Attention listeners, Sydney Crosby has just touched the ice with his left skate! Now his right! YES!"

Four comments really stood out to me. They went something like this:

1) Crosby, with the puck coming across the blue line, gets stood up and then knocked over by Toni Lydman. "Crosby delivers a nasty blow to Lydman!" as Lydman stands over Crosby on his back on the ice.

2) Buffalo has a delayed penalty called against them and Pittsburgh has pulled their goalie to go 6 on 5. Crosby works the puck up to the blue line only to dump in behind the net to a waiting defenseman while the play is blown dead.

"Hmm, a very smart dump in by Crosby" as he gives up the puck on a delayed penalty call against Buffalo where Pittsburgh had the extra attacker out and a nice rush set up.

3) "Crosby out muscles his man in the corner." No Jack, grabbing the stick is NOT legal. Glad the refs cleared that one up for you later in the game though.

4) "He taps Tallinder a few times out of frustration, ho ha ho ha." That's called slashing Jack. It's a penalty.

Artrocious telecast -- loved the closeup on the rushing Penguin while he shot, among other horrible things people have mentioned in other threads -- but not for the reason you mentioned. Crosby had a goal, two assists and clinched the game in the shootout. He deserved the chatter. Check that. He deserves the chatter. He's good. :)

You beat me to it....

I knew it was coming based on the Penguins announcement and the fact that all media is drooling over Crosby (and seemingly Gary Roberts, for that matter). I was really hoping for the Sabres to pull that one out just to stick it to Versus. The dagger in the heart was that Crosby scored the winning shootout goal. :bag:

I agree they did a lot of ball-washing of Crosby, but unlike with Bruschi most of the reach arounds from the announcers are well deserved. The kid is the best the game has to offer. Also, the Sabres didn't really provide much for them to talk about anyway, it was yet another lackluster effort from the boys.

i agree with all posts here. Crosby does deserve the chatter but really they seem to praise him at the wrong times. the telecast was horrible Jack doesn't know his ass from a fruit loop. How many times do you think they looked at the puck "that went off of Lydmans stick" When it obviously went off of Drury's. When it went to shoot out it was a predetermined conclusuin that Crosby would score the gwg. It kills me to know what was coming before it happened.

Artrocious telecast -- loved the closeup on the rushing Penguin while he shot, among other horrible things people have mentioned in other threads -- but not for the reason you mentioned. Crosby had a goal, two assists and clinched the game in the shootout. He deserved the chatter. Check that. He deserves the chatter. He's good. :)

Listen, I actually like Crosby a lot as a player. I think he's a great hockey player and is a good representative of the league. He played an excellent game last night. The man is a freak of nature. I was only mildly annoyed when they showed Crosby's goal for the seventh time (I'm serious) and I couldn't get a replay of Pominvilles first goal to save my life. Showing the plays where he actually does something is repetitive but understandable. What annoyed me was when he starts getting credited for things that are non-issues, bad plays, or illegal plays. I know it's just the stupid announcers but it's incredibly amateurish and annoying.

It was just like the "Return of the Bruschi" game that ESPN pulled against Buffalo two years ago on Sunday Night Football. ESPN was keeping a tracker of how many "hits" Bruschi had. "Wow, look Joe, Bruschi has 37 hits and 1 tackle! That's amazing!" Um, last I checked, hits minus tackles is MISSED tackles.

"Wow, look at Bruschi jump on that pile late Joe, wow!" Then ESPN goes and interviews New England's owner and Tedy Bruschi's wife while the two most important plays of the game are relegated to a little box in the corner of the screen (the two QB fumbles). I was having flashbacks when we had Super Mario being interviewed about Crosby in a box on screen during the action on the ice. I thought for sure someboyd was going to score and we wouldn't see it. I would've enjoyed that. :doh:

a few things i'd like to mention after having seen my very first versus broadcast last night.

1. living in boston means getting stuck with lame jack edwards on nesn/bruins broadcasts. imagine how far back my eyes rolled when i tune in the game and see...jack freakin' edwards doing the pre-game. :censored: ugh. i'm just glad that it won't be a regular occurance.

2. i heard the penguins got a new arena deal. anyone else hear that? :wallbash:

3. what's with the interview picture-in-picture taking up 25% of the viewing field DURING PLAY!?!? and it was just two people talking to each other!!! i don't need to see two people while they're talking to understand what's being said while four skaters are fighting for the puck in the lower corner along the boards. jeezis.

4. yes, jack, we know you're "getting paid to be [there]," rub it in a little more, why don't you.

5. that quizno's commercial with the "it's not lackin' any meat" chick...hilarious.

6. center ice (just got it yesterday) is the greatest invention in the history of digital cable. i nearly cried when i flipped through the games for the first time last night.

Teddy Bruschi just lept OVER the stadium wall and into the parking lot to save an infant from a burning vehicle....THEN....lept BACK over the stadium wall to sack JP Losman for a loss of 87 yards on the play!

i remember that game.

Jack Edwards is absolutely horrible. I can't fatham why he is still employed by anyone as an announcer.

i love the quizno's chick. As a matter of fact the only reason i stay in my living room is to watch that chick say "its not lacking any meat and that what real women want" I get slightly aroused everytime. Also she's wearing a engagement ring. This is someones girl. I wonder how that guy is making out right? He must be a butcher.

What about that great pass from Hecht to setup the Briere breakaway goal. It would be nice if we could've actually seen that live. That's my biggest complaint about Vs (other than the fact that they hired that no talent assclown Jack Edwards). They always zoom in on guys carrying the puck. Zooming in on guys works for baseball, but not in hockey where you need to see plays develop.

I enjoyed it when Edwards told Bettman he was "good at deflecting blame."

Followed by asking Bettman if he still has a job b/c of that comment.

Brickley is bearable, but Edwards is jerk. That's the best way to describe him, a jerk. I was waiting for him to bitch and moan about the Sabres diving. That's usually consistent with his vendetta against Buffalo.

What about that great pass from Hecht to setup the Briere breakaway goal. It would be nice if we could've actually seen that live. That's my biggest complaint about Vs (other than the fact that they hired that no talent assclown Jack Edwards). They always zoom in on guys carrying the puck. Zooming in on guys works for baseball, but not in hockey where you need to see plays develop.

I'm with you on the zooming and I complained loudly about that exact play. Jochen's facial hair is looking pretty good, but I'd much rather see the pass. But look on the bright side, at least they didn't use the inside the net cam for any live game action this time! They're just inventing new ways to annoy us like the quarter screen interview window.

I didnt mind the Crosby lovefest because he is one of the best in the league and that is who the NHL is marketing. Like others, when I heard the voice of Jack Edwards come on VS I went and got the razors. The thing that gets me is that it seems Edwards was telling more stories than actually doing his job of being the PLAY BY PLAY guy. I dont mind The Brick. Atleast it wasnt against the Bruins because that would have been bad.

As far as the arena deal, good for them. I think it was over the top but I think if the Sabres had a national game after Golisano bought and saved the team, it would have been a lovefest for Buffalo.

The moral of the story is still the same, VS coverage stinks and Jack Edwards is possibly the worst play by play guy alive.

Sidney Crosby is a 19 year old superstar and deserves the ballwashing. Tedi Bruschi is not a superstar who received WAY too much ballwashing. I didn't think they were making anymore of a big deal about the kid than anyone else would. Did anyone hear RJ and JL on the pregame? They were doing some scrubbing of their own on Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

I can't believe that most of you condone this level of ballwashing of anybody at all.

Is Crosby a great player? Sure. So, when he makes a great play, or he scores a goal, show the highlights and explain why the action was great, and be on with it. Maybe once in a while in an intemission, show a little feature about his greatness.

But seriously, there are 11 other players on the ice also playing the game. There are two sets of coachings staffs commanding this game. To focus so much attention on one individual in a hugely team-effort sport is rotten sports coverage and makes for terrible television.

In the great article about R.J. the other day, Lorentz said something fantastic: “The game is what should carry the broadcast. We just help it along.” The game action is what should drive discussion, replay breakdowns, and hooplah.

VS gamecasters make a big to-do about everything but what's going on on the ice. Player's abilities, reputations, off ice nonsense, etc. It sounds like the televised jabber between pitches at a basbeall game, and they end up sucking off the big name players. . It sucks.

I can't believe that most of you condone this level of ballwashing of anybody at all.

Is Crosby a great player? Sure. So, when he makes a great play, or he scores a goal, show the highlights and explain why the action was great, and be on with it. Maybe once in a while in an intemission, show a little feature about his greatness.

But seriously, there are 11 other players on the ice also playing the game. There are two sets of coachings staffs commanding this game. To focus so much attention on one individual in a hugely team-effort sport is rotten sports coverage and makes for terrible television.

In the great article about R.J. the other day, Lorentz said something fantastic: ?The game is what should carry the broadcast. We just help it along.? The game action is what should drive discussion, replay breakdowns, and hooplah.

VS gamecasters make a big to-do about everything but what's going on on the ice. Player's abilities, reputations, off ice nonsense, etc. It sounds like the televised jabber between pitches at a basbeall game, and they end up sucking off the big name players. . It sucks.

In a perfect world, if the NHL were as popular on the national level as the NFL , then the ballwashing would be ridiculous. But since mainstream America treats the NHL like a red-headed stepchild (no offense to any red-headed stepchildren out there) the league and Vs. have to resort to this sort of shameless, over-indulgent self-promotion, in hopes of picking up a few more fans here and there. The irony is that such self-promotion usually turns off borderline and hardcore hockey fans alike.

I hate it as much as anyone, but until the league's TV ratings rise above the Pro Bullriding Circuit and ESPN's late-night presentation of "two guys playing catch," then this is the sort of crap we'll have to endure from the national broadcasts...

In a perfect world, if the NHL were as popular on the national level as the NFL , then the ballwashing would be ridiculous. But since mainstream America treats the NHL like a red-headed stepchild (no offense to any red-headed stepchildren out there) the league and Vs. have to resort to this sort of shameless, over-indulgent self-promotion, in hopes of picking up a few more fans here and there. The irony is that such self-promotion usually turns off borderline and hardcore hockey fans alike.

I hate it as much as anyone, but until the league's TV ratings rise above the Pro Bullriding Circuit and ESPN's late-night presentation of "two guys playing catch," then this is the sort of crap we'll have to endure from the national broadcasts...

I bet you love it when Rick and Jim ballwash Miller though. Here's a 70 foot flip shot... MIIIIILLLLLLLLLERRRRR!!!!! Just kidding. I just enjoy typing the word "ballwash."

What gets to me, and what the topic of this thread was about, is not the focus on the great plays Crosby makes. As I said before, the repetition gets annoying but at least its good hockey we're watching for the seventh or eighth time. Heck, I can even deal with the announcers getting shrill the second he touches the puck on a "two on one break" despite the fact that Tallinder's got perfect positioning on him and the Sabres have three men back in the zone. No, what gets to me is the announcers gasping in delight at incredibly trivial things or worse, brushing off the bad or illegal plays.

The comments I highlighted were of that nature. They weren't ones where Crosby actually did something great. Why was Crosby getting praised for surrendering the puck on purpose when his team had a man advantage and a Sabre touching the puck would immediately stop play? Why is Crosby getting credited for a "huge hit" when he's got the puck and is thus the one receiving, not giving the hit, and he is the one who ends up on his back? Why wouldn't he get called out for slashing Tallinder three times at the end of the game. The announcers obviously noticed it, then laughed it off. Those are the types of comments that made the game Bruschi-like.

I just enjoy typing the word "ballwash."

everytime i move my cursor over this icon: :wallbash: , i think it says "ballwash" instead of "wallbash."

easy mistake, right? not a freudian slip or anything.

does anyone remember towards the end of the game last night where one of the announcers said something to the effect of "crosby is this entire team. crosby is the lone player that makes this team good." I know i'm not quoting him exactly cuz i don't remember the exact phrase, but I just remember him basically saying that without crosby Pittsburgh would have nothing. Good job guys, way to give Fleury or Malkin or the rest of the team any credit. Crosby is the only guy they need, put him on the ice alone against any team out there, he's the penguins. the only guy who matters.

gah.

I bet you love it when Rick and Jim ballwash Miller though. Here's a 70 foot flip shot... MIIIIILLLLLLLLLERRRRR!!!!! Just kidding. I just enjoy typing the word "ballwash."
You're so mean, PA. :(

And I agree, typing the word ballwash is just plain fun.

everytime i move my cursor over this icon: :wallbash: , i think it says "ballwash" instead of "wallbash."

easy mistake, right? not a freudian slip or anything.

I'm glad I am not the only one who has made the same mistake...that's my story, and I am sticking to it.
What gets to me, and what the topic of this thread was about, is not the focus on the great plays Crosby makes. As I said before, the repetition gets annoying but at least its good hockey we're watching for the seventh or eighth time. Heck, I can even deal with the announcers getting shrill the second he touches the puck on a "two on one break" despite the fact that Tallinder's got perfect positioning on him and the Sabres have three men back in the zone. No, what gets to me is the announcers gasping in delight at incredibly trivial things or worse, brushing off the bad or illegal plays.

The comments I highlighted were of that nature. They weren't ones where Crosby actually did something great. Why was Crosby getting praised for surrendering the puck on purpose when his team had a man advantage and a Sabre touching the puck would immediately stop play? Why is Crosby getting credited for a "huge hit" when he's got the puck and is thus the one receiving, not giving the hit, and he is the one who ends up on his back? Why wouldn't he get called out for slashing Tallinder three times at the end of the game. The announcers obviously noticed it, then laughed it off. Those are the types of comments that made the game Bruschi-like.

You won't get any disagreement from me that the Vs guys sounded more like PR shills for Crosby, the Pens, Gary Bettman and the NHL rather than national broadcasters. The fact that Vs is willing to allow its announcers to sound like NHL employees rather than national broadcasters might have been part of what Gary was alluding to when he talks about the attention that Vs gives the NHL, that they wouldn't get from ESPN...

I just take solace in the fact that anyone who has seen Edwards & Brickley on NESN knows that they are both Sabres-hating douche bags, and anyone who has watched hockey for more than 10 minutes knows that Vs' in-game production is a joke. Bad camera angles, off-ice interviews during play that cover 1/4 of the action, piss-poor PbP and color guys, stupid dancing robot graphics, etc.

Besides, the attention on Sid & the Pens and the lack of attention on the conference leaders is fine with me - that way, Lindy can play the "no respect" card in the playoffs; the media will be focused on watching the Pens' early-round playoff exit; and despite being the no. 1 seed, we can fly into the ECF under the radar.

Besides, the attention on Sid & the Pens and the lack of attention on the conference leaders is fine with me - that way, Lindy can play the "no respect" card in the playoffs; the media will be focused on watching the Pens' early-round playoff exit; and despite being the no. 1 seed, we can fly into the ECF under the radar.

This I can agree with. To be honest, it doesn't bother me much. It was just funny to me how eerily similar it was to the Bruschi game. I was just having a hard time understanding the folks who said Crosby deserved all the praise. He deserved MOST of the praise, and some of the praise rose to Bruschi-level absurdity. That's all I'm sayin'.

Archived