Janssen knocks out Kaberle

Wraith

Not sure if I have the participants names right here. They showed it in the shootout. UGLY late hit drilled the guy in the head, then his head went into the boards. Guy left on a stretcher and was lucky his neck wasn't broken from what I saw.

Absolute BS. Looked like an avoidable, LATE headshot that did nothing to advance the flow of the game. Plus TO players didn't do anything about it except Tucker who wasn't even dressed.

Not sure if I have the participants names right here. They showed it in the shootout. UGLY late hit drilled the guy in the head, then his head went into the boards. Guy left on a stretcher and was lucky his neck wasn't broken from what I saw.

Absolute BS. Looked like an avoidable, LATE headshot that did nothing to advance the flow of the game. Plus TO players didn't do anything about it except Tucker who wasn't even dressed.

Yes, there was no reason at all the guy could not have pulled up. If there is not a suspension of at least 5 games there is something wrong. That was a terrible hit.

I heard tonight that our favorite Ottawa player broke a players arm (Gleason?) the other night on an icing play. He was skating in Atlanta so I guess the league backed down on that as well..

Was a penalty given on the play?

Nope. Refs "didn't see it." The NHL needs to let the refs apply a little critical thinking here. Most refs probably realize professional players don't accidentally crash into the boards head first and nearly break their own neck, and if a player is laying half dead on the ice away from the play, it's quite likely he was "assisted" by the opposition with a late hit and a replay might be in order.

On a side note, the NJ fans are doing their best Ottawa fan impression, claiming the hit was "marginally" late and within the rules, and by not penalizing Janssen they are "endorsing it" and "deeming it legal." Classy.

No penalty on the play, and no response from the no-heart Leafs. I would be absolutely disgusted if I were a fan of that team.

EDIT: This was in TSN's early recap:

A Maple Leafs official said he was alert in the locker room and was later taken to Hackensack University Medical Center for observation.

That hit was disgusting. I'm not a Toronto fan, but that was just absurd. That hit was far later than even the Chris Neil hit on Drury. I can't believe there was no penalty on that. If there is not a suspension, then this sort of (insert expletive word here) will continue. I'm really getting fed up and sick and tired of it. And Neil injured Gleason on an icing play. How long does this have to continue? And why do the coaches of teams get fined for defending their players if the NHL is going to do nothing about this. I hope Bettman finally listens to what Golisano wrote in his letter and convene a panel. If not, you'll have one owner vehemently against Bettman, and Golisano is a pretty powerful guy, and maybe one day he might establish a coalition to finally get rid of Bettman. Here's to wishful thinking.

No penalty on the play, and no response from the no-heart Leafs. I would be absolutely disgusted if I were a fan of that team.

EDIT: This was in TSN's early recap:

True.. But they were losing 2-0 when it happened and ended up beating the Devils.. So they took it to 'em in the win-loss column.

Yeah, the 10th-place Leafs really showed the 2nd-place Devils what they're made of.

No offense, but just like the Drury hit, the Kaberle assault was a defining moment for that team, and IMO, they failed miserably.

Yeah, the 10th-place Leafs really showed the 2nd-place Devils what they're made of.

No offense, but just like the Drury hit, the Kaberle assault was a defining moment for that team, and IMO, they failed miserably.

Exactly. The Leafs are a bunch of gutless wimps. At least Tucker came out of the training room to let Janssen know it was a BS play. To hear Chris Drury in his interview say that the way his teamates reacted to his injury was great and it brought the team even closer together than they already were. The fans (and Kaberle) should be disgusted the way their team reacted, or should I say not react, to that type of cheap play. Where were Belak or McCabe after that hit?

How can the league go and suspend Janssen after not doing anything to Neil? This should be interesting to see what the hypocrites do.

That hit was disgusting. How many ways can you say it before Bettman and Campbell get their heads out of their . If these guys can't figure out how to remove late shots to the head from the game (minimum 10 game suspension and a $25,000 fine would be a good start), then they're not worthy of their jobs and should be replaced as soon as possible.

Players sitting dazed in their own blood or being carted off on stretchers are no way to sell this game. Having 10s of millions of dollars sitting in the press box due to concussions because of dirty hits is a massive waste of talent.

Good post, jad.

BTW, does this sound familiar?

Janssen felt he did nothing wrong.

"I was just finishing my check," Janssen said. "You hate to see that. It's a weird feeling. You never want to see that, but I've got to do my job. I've got to take the body and I did."

You could substitute Neil's name in there and it would sound pretty damn close to what that POS said after the Drury hit.

Is there a link out there that shows the hit? Or was it even on camera?

I'm sure it will make the all the regular online video highlights. Was even uglier than Neil. And like Neil, he had to change direction to hit kaberle, then leaped slightly off his feet to make the hit.

The irony in this is Toronto. Aren't they the ones that said Bufflao was weak, and the way to beat them was to play physical? Hmmmm... :blink:

"Finishing" his check is bullsh-- in this case... he hadn't even started the "check" until after the puck was gone, only then did he change direction and start to "check." The illegality of his actions are even clearer than in the Drury hit.

Dear Bettman: Blood and stretchers do not a "family experience" make. (Well, maybe some families, but none I want to belong to.)

Ok, well first I probably should admit I am a leaf fan (yeah maybe I should be commited but whatever) and I watched tonight's game.

Here is a youtube link for those who missed the hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Mx_x8g7y0 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Mx_x8g7y0" target="_blank"></a>

I normally would have just let the leaf bashing go since this is a sabre's forum but I wanted to clear a few things to try and explain why leafs did not go after Janssen.

1. The hit was so late that no one on the bench, or on the ice (even Raycroft) saw it happen. The refs obviously didn't see it, hence why no penalty was called (which was bs).

2. Belak and Tucker were not dressed, so leafs didnt have any real tough guys on the ice to fight Janssen.

3. At the time the score was only 1-0 Devils, the Leafs were desperate for those 2 points, starting a bench brawl the next play would have just cost us the game. Paul Maurice called a timeout right after the play to remind the Leafs the this was a huge game they could not afford to throw away just to get some revenge.

4. The Leafs did not get to see the replay until the 2nd intermission, Janssen did not even come out in the 3rd period (obviously the Devils coach knew he would have been targeted, and the game would have got ugly).

5. Leafs got their revenge by making a 3rd period comeback instead and then winning the game in a shootout. The rallied around their fallen player and it I enjoyed it alot more as a fan then if they had just brawled the devils and lost the game.

Hopefully Janssen gets a severe punishment for this incident, late hits should not be promoted by the NHL.

Say what you want. That hit was bad. Not one Leaf did anything, The Leafs should at least stand u for one of their star players. Kaberle wasn't looking too good after that.

They didn't retaliate because no one saw it. Tucker was the only one to see it because he was watching from the press box. By the time they found out what had happened, Maurice had told them to not go after anyone becuase he wanted the win.

If that hit had been made in end where the leaf bench was it would have been a different story.

And if Janssen shows his face on March 20th at the ACC there will be a reaction, trust me.

Archived