Janssen knocks out Kaberle

Wraith

2. Belak and Tucker were not dressed, so leafs didnt have any real tough guys on the ice to fight Janssen.

3. At the time the score was only 1-0 Devils, the Leafs were desperate for those 2 points, starting a bench brawl the next play would have just cost us the game. Paul Maurice called a timeout right after the play to remind the Leafs the this was a huge game they could not afford to throw away just to get some revenge.

#2 is not a legit excuse. Drew Stafford is far from a tough guy and he immediately went after Neil without a second thought. Whether any of the Leafs saw it or not, they should have known it was dirty because of who threw the hit and how long after Kaberle got rid of the puck that it happened. Players don't fall face first into the boards on their own like that. Janssen is another cheap shot scumbag like Neil and the players know this.

#3 Shouldn't be an issue either. The Sabres/Sens game was close but Lindy knew what had to be done no matter what the score was. Some things at certain times are more important than worrying about the 2 pts. Like sticking together as teamates, which is not what the Leafs did.

I for one don't care for the Leafs, but I hope next game with NJ someone on your team gives Janssen what he deserves. He's trash and has no idea what hockey is other than playing dirty.

Hopefully Janssen gets a severe punishment for this incident, late hits should not be promoted by the NHL.

He won't get diddly.

Unless somebody takes Golden Boy Cindy's head clean off, Bettman and Campbell won't lift an eyebrow.

Two words : Bush. League.

Ok, well first I probably should admit I am a leaf fan (yeah maybe I should be commited but whatever) and I watched tonight's game.

Here is a youtube link for those who missed the hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Mx_x8g7y0 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Mx_x8g7y0" target="_blank"></a>

I normally would have just let the leaf bashing go since this is a sabre's forum but I wanted to clear a few things to try and explain why leafs did not go after Janssen.

1. The hit was so late that no one on the bench, or on the ice (even Raycroft) saw it happen. The refs obviously didn't see it, hence why no penalty was called (which was bs).

2. Belak and Tucker were not dressed, so leafs didnt have any real tough guys on the ice to fight Janssen.

3. At the time the score was only 1-0 Devils, the Leafs were desperate for those 2 points, starting a bench brawl the next play would have just cost us the game. Paul Maurice called a timeout right after the play to remind the Leafs the this was a huge game they could not afford to throw away just to get some revenge.

4. The Leafs did not get to see the replay until the 2nd intermission, Janssen did not even come out in the 3rd period (obviously the Devils coach knew he would have been targeted, and the game would have got ugly).

5. Leafs got their revenge by making a 3rd period comeback instead and then winning the game in a shootout. The rallied around their fallen player and it I enjoyed it alot more as a fan then if they had just brawled the devils and lost the game.

Hopefully Janssen gets a severe punishment for this incident, late hits should not be promoted by the NHL.

Auto:

First welcome..

I'll agree on a few and disagree on a few.

Not having tough guys on the ice is an excuse. Did you see Biron go after Emery? He didn't want to, but he did.

The hit is beyond late. It was dangerous. It was intended to hurt.

Taking down the Devils may be viewed as "enough" by the Leafs, but in all seriousness, can it really be? How about taking down the Devils and standing up for your team and manhood? Why couldn't you settle the score AND win the game. Seems like there was plenty of motivation. And now you must play in the division without the services of a star player. I'd be beyond pissed and not contented with a moral victory.

When a team mate is cheap shotted and taken off on a stretcher, when is the game not considered ugly?

Like it or not, the Leafs left the impression that they can be cheap shotted and will do nothing.

Welcome to the board.. Should be an interesting game tonight...

I don't care whether or not the hits are late. The big problem here is that these guys are clearing gunning for the other player's head. Does someone have to die before the NHL addresses this?

While The Colon Campbell is in charge of handing out penalties the answer would be yes.

You can go back to Orpik almost crippling Cole or Bertuzzi almost killing Moore. Nothing was done then. Nothing will be done now.

Auto... Welcome to the board. Hope you can bring the leafs perspective to ss.com. There's a few intelligent senators regulars here, so we now welcome a fan from another NE division rival.

As for the hit, that was 10x more disgusting than the drury hit. Not because it was any harder or more late, but simply more obvious. If nothing is done about that, the nhl is total bush league. ESPN has it out for the NHL, and like it or not, they try at every opportunity to bury the NHL. The american media's radar is focused on crap like that because of the reaction the sabres showed after drury's hit. If Jansson is not suspended (and hey, suspend neil while you're at it. its never too late), Bettman's richest owner, the guy who took whining to the next level, will form a group to get rid of his entire administration.

Hockey will be saved, and hits like this will force a change for the better at the top. Auto, i cannot comment much more on the hit... It was dirty, it was late, and someone got injured. Unfortunately, as fans, we're forced to wait to see what Bettman does about it.

The NHL has set a precedent that a hit like this is not illegal. How ridiculous (or is that even more ridiculous) will they look if they give out a suspension. At least the New Jersey player was showing concern, unlike that goon Neil who actually started to threaten other players. The NHL is in a tough spot here. They said last week on the record that it's OK to blindside a player without the puck. I"d be shocked if there was a suspension for this.

#2 is not a legit excuse. Drew Stafford is far from a tough guy and he immediately went after Neil without a second thought. Whether any of the Leafs saw it or, they should have known it was dirty because of who threw the hit and how long after Kaberle got rid of the puck that it happened. Players don't fall face first into the boards on their own like that. Janssen is another cheap shot scumbag like Neil and the players know this.

#3 Shouldn't be an issue either. The Sabres/Sens game was close but Lindy knew what had to be done no matter what the score was. Some things at certain times are more important than worrying about the 2 pts. Like sticking together as teamates, which is not what the Leafs did.

I for one don't care for the Leafs, but I hope next game with NJ someone on your team gives Janssen what he deserves. He's trash and has no idea what hockey is other than playing dirty.

In all fairness. The Sabres had an 11 point lead in the division. The Leafs are on the outside looking in.

Also,

I'm sure Leaf fans have forgotten it. But the Kaberle play isn't much different than what Tucker tried to do to Hecht last season. It's a deliberate attempt to injury. Not that it makes it right. Just trying to point out some possible hypocrisies.

In all fairness. The Sabres had an 11 point lead in the division. The Leafs are on the outside looking in.

Also,

I'm sure Leaf fans have forgotten it. But the Kaberle play isn't much different than what Tucker tried to do to Hecht last season. It's a deliberate attempt to injury. Not that it makes it right. Just trying to point out some possible hypocrisies.

Knowing Lindy, do you really think that would have mattered? "You don't lay down after that..." said Lindy rather emphatically...

Just watched the replay several times...that was terrible. How can Janssen say with a straight face that he was just finishing his check? He didn't even start his check until after the puck left Kaberle's stick.

He could say it with a straight face because the NHL said it with a straight face last week.

" The illegality of his actions are even clearer than in the Drury hit.

The check wasn't illegal, the NHL said so last week.

Knowing Lindy, do you really think that would have mattered? "You don't lay down after that..." said Lindy rather emphatically...

It did last season against the Leafs? Also earlier this season against the Caps?

The Drury instance doesn't erase this teams history of doing nothing. Going as far back as Lafontaine getting elbowed in the head and Hasek getting run the Sabres don't have a great history of getting even. Which is why what happened against Ottawa is so important. This team turned another corner.

He could say it with a straight face because the NHL said it with a straight face last week.

The check wasn't illegal, the NHL said so last week.

You are failing to recognize the credibility issues you have in this part of your statement.

I'm surprised nobody is telling Kaberle he should keep his head up....

Of course it doesn't matter that his head WAS up, because we've all seen that no matter how much the guy getting hurt was paying attention, all a thug has to do to shift blame from himself to the injured player is say "he should've kept his head up" and a hundred dumb-ass fans will buy into.

I know I am sort of reiterating things that have been said about this already, but I happened to catch the highlight (lowlight??) of the Janssen hit on Kaberle this morning on ESPN. It almost made me sick to my stomach. It was revolting. I love the hits and I love that this game is so physical, but that sort of horses*&t has just got to stop. I don't even know how Janssen can look himself in the mirror and call himself a man for that cheap shot. I am more upset over this hit than the Drury hit. I hate to say it, but the NHL is going down a road where its going to take someone dying on the ice from a dirty hit to get their attention. Then, all of the fans that have stayed and all of the new fans that have come on board will leave and never come back. Will that satisfy them? Bettman and Campbell should be as ashamed as Janssen for allowing it to get to this point.

The league is struggling for airtime on ESPN. When hits like this happen, they get it. When teams retaliate like the Sabres did, they get tons of it. When the league does nothing, the analysts talk about it ad nauseum and the league gets even more attention. So why would they do anything different at this point?

If someone gets killed, I'm sure Bettman will whip out a secret memo that was distributed to all the teams to back things off, and then say the guy who made the hit was not following the spirit of the memo. My question is where in the heck is the players union on this one? They are supposed to be looking out for the well-being of the players. Like a typical union, they'll do nothing now, and then if someone finally does get suspended for a cheap hit that badly injures another player, they'll appeal it.

I'm surprised nobody is telling Kaberle he should keep his head up....

Of course it doesn't matter that his head WAS up, because we've all seen that no matter how much the guy getting hurt was paying attention, all a thug has to do to shift blame from himself to the injured player is say "he should've kept his head up" and a hundred dumb-ass fans will buy into.

Make that a hundred dumb-ass SENATORS fans, and of course Jabba The Hutt.

thats a bullsh-- hit, 2 seconds hit, he left his feet, and went for his head. There are plenty of checkers in the league that know how to hit properly with the body, and its plenty entertaining. Get rid of these idiots that go out to injure.

The drury hit was technically legal, although maybe it shouldn't be.

this hit wasn't, and it should end in a suspention and fine

The drury hit was technically legal, although maybe it shouldn't be.

this hit wasn't, and it should end in a suspention and fine

Comparing the hits is like comparing red delicious apples to macintosh apples. Different apples, same damn fruit.

I have to at least say this. I give Peters a load of crap. Mostly well deserved. But as the three minute a game players go? Peters is a pretty clean player that has respect for the game. Besides the whole golf swing thing he hasn't really ever embarrassed this franchise.

Janssen embarrassed himself and the entire Devils organIzation last night. I know it would never happen. But how great would it be for a team to impose a suspension instead of waiting for the league to do nothing? I understand sticking up for your players. The pride and integrity of the franchise should supersede that.

Souray should be dealt with too. He clearly took the woodchopping swing at Vanek in the dying seconds of a game the Habs are going to lose.

Honestly, can you imagine if Vanek had been hurt on a play like that?

If Briere gets 2 for being careless with his stick last year while trying to draw a penalty, then surely this was a clear attempt to strike Vanek, was it not? Then one would think Souray would get some time on the sidelines too.

Oh wait, this is the NHL. Sorry, my bad.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make, if leafs did not win that game last night their chances of making the playoffs would have been downgraded from "Long Shot" to "Christmas Day Miracle".

Plus the fact is that Janssen did not play another shift. So who are you going to get your revenge on? Brodeur? I guess we could have run the goalie the rest of the game, that have been fair right?

Janssen just made a whole bunch of enemies last night, one day soon will he will be eating fist for dinner.

Souray should be dealt with too. He clearly took the woodchopping swing at Vanek in the dying seconds of a game the Habs are going to lose.

Honestly, can you imagine if Vanek had been hurt on a play like that?

If Briere gets 2 for being careless with his stick last year while trying to draw a penalty, then surely this was a clear attempt to strike Vanek, was it not? Then one would think Souray would get some time on the sidelines too.

Oh wait, this is the NHL. Sorry, my bad.

You see worse during the game. Just because it was in open ice it may have looked a lot worse. The league will point to the two minute call and consider that matter dealt with.

Plus the fact is that Janssen did not play another shift. So who are you going to get your revenge on? Brodeur? I guess we could have run the goalie the rest of the game, that have been fair right?

You do what the Sabres did last week. Kaberle is your best defenseman, so you run Rafalski as hard as you can. That's how you police things in this league especially if the referees aren't going to do anything about the initial hit.

I'm not sure why Janssen didn't play another shift, though. The Loafs had already proven that they weren't going to do anything.

Archived