Best and worst hockey movies

PASabreFan

I agree with Miracle and Slap Shot. Here are my choices for a few other categories:

Best Hockey Documentary (multipart): Ken Dryden's Home Game

Best Hockey Documentary (single episode): Do You Believe In Miracles? - The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team

Worst Hockey Movie Ever Made: Slap Shot 2 (Disclaimer: I have never seen this movie, but trust the reviews I have read on it and believe there must have been a reason it was released directly to home video.)

Best Hockey Talk Show: Don Cherry's Grapevine

Best Hockey Video Series (noninstructional): Rock'em Sock'em Hockey

Worst Acting by a Hockey Player (TV or motion picture): Wayne Gretzky on The Young & the Restless back in early-'80's. IIRC, he was a gangster from the "Edmonton syndicate". No, I don't normally watch soap operas, but when you are in high school and you hear a trainwreck is approaching, you watch it. (Honorable Mention goes to either someone from Slap Shot 2 (again I haven't seen it, but I feel pretty confident there must be something truly awful there), or Bill Ranford for doing his Denis LeMieux imitation during Miracle.)

Wayne is now in the "Tocchet Syndicate." Couldn't resist. Everyone is forgetting the worst hockey movie of all, but unintentionally entertaining and hilarious. I will hold off for now.

Tocchet Sydicate - :lol:

One of the best that hasn't been mentioned yet, and I didn't include it in my original list because the "hockey" is kind of tangential to the plot is "Strange Brew".

Not sure about what you're referring to as the worst.

Shrader wins a basket of nachos with cheese that is still sitting under a seat in the oranges at the Aud. Doesn't anyone remember "Sudden Death"?! Terrorists hold the vice president or president hostage during game 7 of the finals in the Igloo? And Jean Claude saves the day by sneaking into the lockerroom and donning the goalie's gear, and actually entering the game! OK, the plot details have faded a little, but it was horrible. But it was great. Mike Lange, the voice of the Pens we all love to hate, was prominently featured as he did the play by play of the fictional Cup deciding game. I think the movie came out just after the Pens had won their second Cup. They were a hot property.

Youngblood... I saw it with this girl I knew in college. I thought she was into me, but apparently she just wanted free admission to see a young Rob Lowe's bare ass. Because that's all she ever talked about for days after that. And, clearly, mine did not impress her!

Best: Miracle on Ice, the 1981 made-for-TV movie with Karl Malden as Brooks is one of my favorites, albeit maybe for sentimental reasons. I haven't seen the newer Miracle.

Worst: I had a girlfriend con me into watching The Cutting Edge by telling me it's a hockey movie. Sure is: 10 seconds of hockey followed by 97 minutes of figure skating.

Shrader wins a basket of nachos with cheese that is still sitting under a seat in the oranges at the Aud. Doesn't anyone remember "Sudden Death"?! Terrorists hold the vice president or president hostage during game 7 of the finals in the Igloo? And Jean Claude saves the day by sneaking into the lockerroom and donning the goalie's gear, and actually entering the game! OK, the plot details have faded a little, but it was horrible. But it was great. Mike Lange, the voice of the Pens we all love to hate, was prominently featured as he did the play by play of the fictional Cup deciding game. I think the movie came out just after the Pens had won their second Cup. They were a hot property.

Youngblood... I saw it with this girl I knew in college. I thought she was into me, but apparently she just wanted free admission to see a young Rob Lowe's bare ass. Because that's all she ever talked about for days after that. And, clearly, mine did not impress her!

After being forced to sit and watch a rented copy of "Kickboxer" (I think that was it's title), I have done a very good job of avoiding JCvD movies.

Also, along the lines of Hopeless's Bruce Almighty, another good Buffalo "hockey" movie is Canadian Bacon (IIRC, John Candy's last movie). It's no Strange Brew, but it's entertaining.

Guest Guest_toddkaz

Best: Slapshot and Youngblood the first 2 hockey movies that really stand out.

Also Hockey players used in Youngblood which is kinda cool i think Stumpy Thomas and Eddie O.

worst ever: Miracle is tied with Mighty Ducks

Best: Slapshot and Youngblood the first 2 hockey movies that really stand out.

Also Hockey players used in Youngblood which is kinda cool i think Stumpy Thomas and Eddie O.

worst ever: Miracle is tied with Mighty Ducks

Peter Zezel was in it, and Keanu Reeves was the goalie for the Hamilton Mustangs.

I liked Cynthia Gibb's azz in that movie.

I wouldn't have minded tea with Mrs. McGill, either. What more could a 16 year old want?

Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2 deserve mentions for the few hockey scenes between the two of them.

And how about that hockey game scene in Chasing Amy? Brilliant.

Worst: Most Valuable Primate

There's also one I know of but haven't seen it yet. It's called No Sleep Til Madison.

Seems like a a low budget film about high school hockey in Wisconsin. I'm sure it contains more realistic conversation than any other hockey movie ever made.

No Sleep Til Madison at IMDB

Archived