Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

PASabreFan

Miller again wasn't all that sharp. And really hasn't been since the All-Star break.

Making the big save in overtime and the shootout is swell, but there's also something to be said for making the boring save in the third with the lead. Miller has been a little rough in the third period this season, whether he's losing a shutout bid or giving up a lead.

A concern?

Miller again wasn't all that sharp. And really hasn't been since the All-Star break.

Making the big save in overtime and the shootout is swell, but there's also something to be said for making the boring save in the third with the lead. Miller has been a little rough in the third period this season, whether he's losing a shutout bid or giving up a lead.

A concern?

Sabres are awesome man...you're crazy....the Sabres are the hardest, toughest, cleanest, most skilled, metrosexual team in NHL history :D

A concern?

As much as I'd like to I can't disagree with you PA. Watching goals like the one that snuck under his stick 5 hole against Philly are definitely cause for a little concern. Let's just hope he regains his early season form before the playoffs.

A concern?

the big saves are more than swell, because he earned us the point, but I guess it could be said that maybe he gave a point away too...

I'm as frustrated as anyone with Miller. He is always in great position, yet these leads keep slipping away.

He always lets in atleast one bad goal a game, He's not Hasek and going to get us a shutout everygame.

But last night (i didn't see those 2 goals he gave up), you can't completly blame him, I'm sure he wasn't fully repared to have to go in and was probably just ready to take it easy and watch a good game from the bench for a change, and then he got thrown in when Biron was sent to the showers early.

He seemed to play better when he was warmer in overtime and the shootout, so I'm not that worried

How come agreeing with me is akin to saying, "You know, Bin Laden has a point there"? :doh:

It's because you try to pass yourself off as the only reasonable one here when in reality you are simply being contrary. It's incredibly patronizing. Your entire mode of operation is to see which way the wind is blowing and face into it, with a smug little "just being the voice of reason" tacked on the end. The act gets tired, quickly, especially when in the process of "being reasonable" you appear to start rooting against the players and team this board worships.

They blew a 2 goal lead in the 3rd, with 9 regulars out of the lineup and you are freaking out? After Chris and Peters left the game, we were missing 9 regulars. We still won and we have people whining cause they blew a 2 goal lead? I don't get it.

I think I'll sign up with this line of reasoning. Miller was huge at the end of the game, in OT, and in the shootout.

I think I'll sign up with this line of reasoning. Miller was huge at the end of the game, in OT, and in the shootout.

But if Miller makes a couple of pretty routine saves, it doesn't get that far. That's the problem. And it's not like it's not a trend. Check out his GAA and save percentage period by period. The third is a sore spot. Another interesting stat is that the highest scoring team in the NHL has seen half of its games be one-goal games. That boggles my mind a bit.

But if Miller makes a couple of pretty routine saves, it doesn't get that far. That's the problem. And it's not like it's not a trend. Check out his GAA and save percentage period by period. The third is a sore spot. Another interesting stat is that the highest scoring team in the NHL has seen half of its games be one-goal games. That boggles my mind a bit.

Hmmm, when I brought up the fact Miller is letting in some, I got chastised.... Nice to see SOMEONE agrees with me.

Do you think he played well last year?

His GAA and save % are almost identical to his numbers last season. Last season he posted a 2.60 GAA and a .91 save percentage. This season its 2.68 and a .91 save percentage.

He's also ahead of last year's pace for wins.

I'm not worried about it. He's an extremely solid player who can win in the playoffs.

How come agreeing with me is akin to saying, "You know, Bin Laden has a point there"? :doh:

I don't drink the Sabres Kool-Aid as much as so many others, but you my friend, just alway seem to be right out of the SNL "Debbie Downer" skit where always in light of something good or exciting you find a way to throw cold water on it......nothing wrong with reality and like I said, too many ppl are drinking the Kool-Aid but sometimes it is about finding the middle ground!

And this instance people hate agreeing with the lead character in that SNL skit!

OK, speaking of reality... We led Game 7 of the conference finals last year before Miller gave up three goals in the third. Miller's game continues to tail off in the third period, and we continue to lose leads late in games. It's something serious fans ought to be worried about.

I am in the middle here. On one hand, I don't think some of Ryan's so-called "soft" goals are nearly as bad as some of the chicken littles want to make them out to be. But there have been more than a few iffy ones that have had me throwing the remote and yelling at the TV, so it isn't a case of us looking for something to bitch about. Additionally, Ryan isn't the only one to deal with this - Marty has shown the same penchant for 3rd-period softies, especially earlier this year.

I don't know what the answer is, but I brought this up a few weeks ago - at what point do we start asking questions about the goaltending coach? We've had three pretty good young goalies come through since Dom left (Marty, Mika & Ryan) and all three have shown flashes of their potential, but battled consistency, apparently struggling with their focus, and dealing with the ups & downs associated with being an NHL keeper. Maybe Corsi is more suited to dealing with the technical side of goaltending - positioning, angles, rebounds, etc., and isn't so good on the mental/psychological side of it, and would be better working with developing goalies in the minors.

Again, I don't know if there is anything to it, but after three goalies have shown signs of not being mentally tough enough for 60 minutes of hockey, then maybe there is something else going on that we don't know about.

OK, speaking of reality... We led Game 7 of the conference finals last year before Miller gave up three goals in the third. Miller's game continues to tail off in the third period, and we continue to lose leads late in games. It's something serious fans ought to be worried about.

I'm with you. BUT.. I think we need to help the goal tender as well. I think we should alter the play style and protect leads when we have them. Especially last night with a short bench. But they continued to run-and-gun all the way through OT with half the guys.

A two goal lead is different than a one goal lead in the third. You don't have to step on the jugglar all the time.

But that is not how these Sabres play.

Four defensemen down, on the road in game 7 of the ECF, against a "third period" team. The Sabres top three defensemen were Lydman, Campbell, and Fitzpatrick, and the Canes scored when Campbell was in the box.

Yeah, it's all Miller's fault. <_<

Aren't the Sabres something like 28-0 this season when grab a 2 goal lead in a game?

A concern?

I am more interested that Sabres beat a team twice in a couple of weeks that seemingly had their number.

If your the Sens what positives do you take from last nights game? They lost to a team that played a bunch of rookies and were down to two lines for a major chunk of the game (which may be why they gave up the two goal lead).

Watching Heatly skate as fast as he could away from Peters and seeing Speeza look like he was about to cry were two of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen in sports.

Archived