Some names to throw around at the deadline.

deluca67

If the Sabres do make some moves here are some players I would like to see instead of Gary Roberts and Bill Geurin which are a couple of names that seem to be tossed around a lot.

Michael Sillinger $2.1 mil (+16, 58.8% on face offs)

Sean Hil $600,000 (+12, 22:31 minutes a game)

Ruslan Salei $2.75 mil ( is a -10 on bad team, 28 points, 23:33 minutes per game)

If the Sabres do make some moves here are some players I would like to see instead of Gary Roberts and Bill Geurin which are a couple of names that seem to be tossed around a lot.

Ruslan Salei $2.75 mil ( is a -10 on bad team, 28 points, 23:33 minutes per game)

Sean Hill seems to be the perfect fit in terms of playing style and salary, because hes a workhorse with over 22 minutes a game, solid d from a +12 on the islanders, as well as a wonderful salary that is under gaustads. We would need very little roster restructuring to get him, which would have to happen to land these 2mil+ guys

hill would be an interesting pickup - he's a little long in the tooth, so i worry a bit about an injury - but still.

didn't he used to put up huge offensive numbers, too?

i think he's won a cup as well -- with the habs in '93 ...?

good call, deluca.

hill would come a whole lot cheaper than brewer -- who i'm still thinking we should go after anyway. the weird thing about the brewer possibility is the net effect of our having lost mckee to the blues for a king's ransom, only to pluck one of their more affordable d-men at year's end.

thoughts?

From what Darcy said on GR, it doesn't look like anyone is going anywhere for anything...which I will guess to mean that they will keep Marty for a run. Also, I guess I understand not wanting to upset the team but not resigning players during the season but it doesn't seem to bother other teams when they do it.

Did anyone see Eklund's latest?

"Also I heard one interesting scenario today that could find Biron in Florida for Eddie Belfour plus another player possibly Bertuzzi (along with a conditional pick should Bert not sign)"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5465

If this isn't proof that Eklund's completely full of schitt and making things up, I don't know what is.

Belfour makes $750K. Bertuzzi makes $5.2M by all accounts I've read. Where are we making up the $4M difference?

Did anyone see Eklund's latest?

"Also I heard one interesting scenario today that could find Biron in Florida for Eddie Belfour plus another player possibly Bertuzzi (along with a conditional pick should Bert not sign)"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5465

Uhmmmmm, how does Eklund propose we pay the both of them under the cap?

Sadly, I thin Regier continues to sit on his hands and make no moves yet again. He said in one of the articles on the front page that he believes the team will be stronger stiicking with the guys that put them in first rather then disrupting that and bringing in new guys. Unfortunately that only works in Disney movies. But its ok, Regier knows exactly what hes doing and this team will sweep everyone in the playoffs and bring the cup home!

We had Silli in Columbus for a couple of years and the guy is worth his weight in gold on faceoffs. He can PK and PP, work the corners and he has a good two-way game. Would be a good rental.

Uhmmmmm, how does Eklund propose we pay the both of them under the cap?

Sadly, I thin Regier continues to sit on his hands and make no moves yet again. He said in one of the articles on the front page that he believes the team will be stronger stiicking with the guys that put them in first rather then disrupting that and bringing in new guys. Unfortunately that only works in Disney movies. But its ok, Regier knows exactly what hes doing and this team will sweep everyone in the playoffs and bring the cup home!

80 points through 57 games seems to indicate he has some idea what he's doing. Darcy will make a move if it's the right move. I hope he doesn't make a move just to make a move. That's how we ended up with Corkum.

Assuming the Sabres want Bertuzzi, I think they can come up with a scenario that lands him here. Who knows what it would be, but there seem to be some options.

But, does anyone know what the heck kind of player he's gonna be? He's not the same Bertuzzi as he was 4 years ago. Back then, I watched a fair bit of the Canucks games, I thought they were a dam good team and if it wasn't for that b-grade boob, Cloutier, they had between the pipes, I think they would have won a cup. Anyways, Bertuzzi was a force then. I just wonder how he looked in the few games he did play with Florida.

And, is he even playing now? I thought he was still out with back surgery. How's his attitude been? Is he still feeling sorry for himself and playing timid, or has he moved on?

Drury with Bertuzzi? Who do you put on his line?

Personally, I think Briere, Hecht and Bertuzzi would be the way to go. Sorry Pommer.

Thank you for mentioning faceoffs. Without Gaustad, we don't have much after Drury when it comes to winning draws. It's a pretty glaring weakness on this team that can come back to haunt them like it did in the ECF.

Thank you for mentioning faceoffs. Without Gaustad, we don't have much after Drury when it comes to winning draws. It's a pretty glaring weakness on this team that can come back to haunt them like it did in the ECF.

faceoffs alone are the reason you keep Drury over Briere. Brind-A'mour killed us last year IIRC.

The Sabres need a 5-6 dman like Sean Hill. Unlike last year when you had Paetsch, Jillson & Janik in Rochester(they all had several years of pro hockey under their belts mostly at the AHL level), this year you have Funk Card & Sekera(all 1st year pros) as potential blueline replacements. So, if the Sabres lose two dmen, you either go with 5 blueliners or you resort to the 3 not ready for primetime players mentioned above.

I also would like to see a gritty player come here to replace Gaustad.

Obviously, Biron would have to go in order to clear the cap space, but they would probably have to move another salary to make the two moves mentioned above.

PS Did anyone here Regier this morning on WGR? I believe he said that TC WILL be back for the regular season, so forget about using his cap dollars to achieve these moves.

The Sabres need a 5-6 dman like Sean Hill. Unlike last year when you had Paetsch, Jillson & Janik in Rochester(they all had several years of pro hockey under their belts mostly at the AHL level), this year you have Funk Card & Sekera(all 1st year pros) as potential blueline replacements. So, if the Sabres lose two dmen, you either go with 5 blueliners or you resort to the 3 not ready for primetime players mentioned above.

Obviously, Biron would have to go in order to clear the cap space, but they would probably have to move another salary to make the two moves mentioned above.

PS Did anyone here Regier this morning on WGR? I believe he said that TC WILL be back for the regular season, so forget about using his cap dollars to achieve these moves.

No one is going to trade for Biron as he will be an UFA next year.

How about Biron, a prospect and a pick for Hill and Dunham? You throw a pick towards the Islanders for taking the cap hit which they will be out from under at the end of the season. Giving them more money to hit free agency and an extra pick for their trouble?

The move would give depth to the blue line, a quality backup goalie and $1,000,000 of cap relief to go out and seek a player like Martin Gelinas for the forth line? Mair can play center. Have Gelinas and Paille on the wings?

Just a thought.

From what Darcy said on GR, it doesn't look like anyone is going anywhere for anything...which I will guess to mean that they will keep Marty for a run. Also, I guess I understand not wanting to upset the team but not resigning players during the season but it doesn't seem to bother other teams when they do it.

I understood the "don't upset team chemistry" thing last season, but this season the team doesn't strike me as a group of like-spirited people... they all seem more like a group of hired guns brought together just for the season. What's one more hired gun? I don't buy the "chemistry" argument this year.

Archived