GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

C'mon Danny, another goal. I wanna see a Sabre get the MVP.

Watch. They'll give it to Crosby for his scintillating no-point night. :)

How about that. Ryan uses a Pearl. I'm posting from one right now. :)

I vote Brodeur as the MVP. Without him, the West doesn't win.

Wow, Bettman is really screwing over Buffalo now! First he says that the no goal was good... then he gives Briere the MVP and drives his salary a few million $$ higher!

Seriously though, its nice that the MVP went to a guy who racked up a bunch of assists. Briere is awesome.

Wow! I think he had a five-point night btw. And for those keeping score at home, that's five times as many points as Ovechkin and Crosby combined.

The only downside is his price just went up. :( No, not really. But it damn sure didn't go down. He was the best player, and the best playmaker, on the ice tonight. People will take notice.

At 1st I thought it was too bad the east didn't win because Danny would have been the MVP. I figured Nash would get it. I was stunned when they called Danny's name.

Brian had a decent outing. I think he played not to do anything stupid. I was happy that Luongo didn't show up Miller.

Well, its time to unpin the all star thread... What have i learned this week?

1) Vs sucks worse this year than last year.

2) The rail cam blows.

3) Black guys playing steel pedal guitars and hockey do not mix... but he did kick butt on that thing.

4) Vanek showed no heart at the youngstars game... In fact, nobody showed heart. That game was wide open, and if it were played at 100% pace, it would be really exciting... the 50% effort we got just didn't add up, even though i had a good time watching it.

5) Chara is tall. we get it. next story please.

5a) Ryan Miller is from East Lansing, Michigan, and someone he's related to is named Kip. Again, we get it. move on!

6) Mic'd goalies is a great idea! Brodeur had a meltdown, including breaking his mic in the process of not making a save. Plus, Turco gave us the great "listen carefully because you just know he's gonna let an F-Bomb fly" period of hockey. Speaking of Turco, i was entertained by his banter.

7) Make the all star game mean something... I hate the "winner gets home ice" like they have in MLB, but maybe move the game to a city that will fill the friggin arena? Buffalo can't support an all star game? give me a break... Buffalo draws a bigger crowd for the chicken wing festival than dallas did for the all star game.

8) It pains me, yet excites me greatly to know that this was the last stress free hockey experience i will watch/go to till september!

9) Danny Briere accepting an award from Gary Bettman... I forsee some deja vu, if you know what i mean!

Till Friday, when we tear Columbus a new one.

Well, its time to unpin the all star thread... What have i learned this week?

1) Vs sucks worse this year than last year.

2) The rail cam blows.

3) Black guys playing steel pedal guitars and hockey do not mix... but he did kick butt on that thing.

No arguments here.
4) Vanek showed no heart at the youngstars game... In fact, nobody showed heart. That game was wide open, and if it were played at 100% pace, it would be really exciting... the 50% effort we got just didn't add up, even though i had a good time watching it.
I thought the whole YoungStars game sucked, and Vanek's comments seemed to indicate his displeasure with the game - he said they all got only about 2 shifts per period, and he really wanted to play some hockey. On the flip side, he was one of the few I saw actually backchecking, so...

Hopefully he uses it as motivation to make the "big game" next year...

6) Mic'd goalies is a great idea! Brodeur had a meltdown, including breaking his mic in the process of not making a save. Plus, Turco gave us the great "listen carefully because you just know he's gonna let an F-Bomb fly" period of hockey. Speaking of Turco, i was entertained by his banter.
Friggin' hilarious - for me, it was the most entertaining segment of the entire All-Star experience, aside from Danny surprising everyone with the MVP...

7) Make the all star game mean something... I hate the "winner gets home ice" like they have in MLB, but maybe move the game to a city that will fill the friggin arena? Buffalo can't support an all star game? give me a break... Buffalo draws a bigger crowd for the chicken wing festival than dallas did for the all star game.
There has to be some sort of incentive to make the game mean something. Bonuses, a "whack Darcy Tucker with no suspension" card, something. I think Buffalo-Niagara regionally hosting the AS game is genius, since you would have such a huge local market to draw from for all the events.

9) Danny Briere accepting an award from Gary Bettman... I forsee some deja vu, if you know what i mean!

Don't jinx it...

I think the rail cam looks like a player sliding on the ice after getting high sticked in the face or something. The view from it sucks too.

I don't like the rail cam, but it did give us a great shot of Brodeur making a save of a puck behind him. I wouldn't mind more camera views from that particular angle.

Alright Danny!

wtf, did the announcer call him Danielle?

Announcers have been calling him Danielle all year. Fuggers!

If they are going to use the rail cam. mount it on the opposite side from the main camera so it doesn't get in the way of the action (and the players can whack it from the bench as it goes by).

I thought about that too, but the problem with putting it on the opposite side of the ice is they couldn't switch to it during live action. Say a play was moving from left to right on the regular camera angle and they switched to the rail cam, suddenly the play would be moving the opposite direction from right to left. It would be very disorrienting and hard to follow. The thing is jerky enough as it is without a complete switch in angle.

I do like some of the shots for replays but its just not worth it to see this stupid thing shooting up and down the boards all game long.

PS Rail Cam sucks. Somebody needs to take a sledge hammer to it. :thumbdown:

I must be the only one who likes it. :chris: It's new, and probably some skill or software refinements are needed. New stuff typically has bugs, but I think they could be worked out.

Having Turco wired for sound was a great idea. He played very well in spite of the distraction, and was hilarious at the same time. Of course, that distraction was the reason Brodeur played so interestingly.

Brodeur, who hasn't seen this many quality scoring chances against him all season, was victimized again at 11:34 as Nash and Havlat did a nice give-and-go in the slot, with Havlat doing the scoring honors. Sakic also picked up an assist on the goal.

:w00t: After seeing his play last night, I am starting to like the idea of making the trap an illegal defense. Compared to the play of the other 5 goalies last night, Brodeur had no business being on the ice. Lehtonen or **gasp** Emery would have better represented the East last night.

(Full Recap)