What will Darcy do by the trade deadline?

LabattBlue

It all revolves around Connolly. The Sabres need to make a decision regarding Connolly's health by the trade deadline. They have 6 weeks or so to decide if he is going to be healthy enough to come back and play before the playoffs. If he can comeback within this timeframe, Darcy will stand pat. If he will not be back until the playoffs or next year, then use his salary(bring in players via trade) to shore up the roster and send Peters and Novotny to the press box.

I don't think he's going to do anything. Paille, and Stafford will be on the expanded playoff roster (which will bench Peters). Paestch looks ready to hold down a shift. With those guys waiting in the wings and Connolly and Tallinder returning, I think Regier will stand pat.

Personally, I'd like to see Regier take a run at a guy like Seabrook, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't think he's going to do anything. Paille, and Stafford will be on the expanded playoff roster (which will bench Peters). Paestch looks ready to hold down a shift. With those guys waiting in the wings and Connolly and Tallinder returning, I think Regier will stand pat.

Personally, I'd like to see Regier take a run at a guy like Seabrook, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

IF Connolly was guaranteed to return, I'd agree. That being said, I still believe his return is 50/50 at best. According to the weekend paper, he is riding a bike for up to 20 minutes and still experiencing headaches.

PS You would have to get the Chicago GM drunk in order to get Seabrook out of there. He is probably their best young player.

IF Connolly was guaranteed to return, I'd agree. That being said, I still believe his return is 50/50 at best. According to the weekend paper, he is riding a bike for up to 20 minutes and still experiencing headaches.

PS You would have to get the Chicago GM drunk in order to get Seabrook out of there. He is probably their best young player.

The key word there is young. Why would they even think of moving him unless they get someone at least near Stafford level in return? But then again, after watching Philly add payroll and move Freddy Meyer, there are enough idiots out there running teams.

Unless we see an unfortunate major injury (3+ months, allowing IR) to a top six guy or we start to lose games like a sieve loses water for a lonnng time, I'm pretty sure we won't move anyone.

We're undoubtedly going to the playoffs; we're not going to "try and run and squeek by" into them (sans losing streak longer than Route 5).

Also, I'm not convinced that we have the cap room to bring in a veteran, higher-paid talent (which would be trivialized by a major IR).

FOR GOD'S SAKE WE NEED A DEFENSEMAN. I hope Regier pulls something off, because you know Tallinder is going to go down, Numminen has had heart problems in the past and I am not comfortable with Paetsch in there.

Amen.

This team is short on defensemen, has been for two seasons.

Now this wouldn't be so bad, if Tallinder wasn't made of glass this season but he is, so there.

If Darcy "stands pat" with this team this year, our big run at a cup is LOST.... We wont make it past the second round. If DB or CD goes down with a injury then we are %^&&ed....

This team has its BEST chance at winning a cup with summer FA looming where some guys are leaving.

The whole Biron thing needs to be settled. We need some value for this guy and not just let him walk out the door.

We have a owner with Billions... If he wants a cup, then he will need to act like it.

The underdog Sabres are not the underdogs anymore and we are not playing good hockey the past 2 months. Power play is crap and this team needs some vets to come in for the grind!

FOR GOD'S SAKE WE NEED A DEFENSEMAN. I hope Regier pulls something off, because you know Tallinder is going to go down, Numminen has had heart problems in the past and I am not comfortable with Paetsch in there.

I was with you up until Paetsch. I have absolutely zero problem with Paetsch being in the lineup; hell, when Henrik comes back, I want to see Lindy start handing out a couple of nights off to Teppo to keep him fresh. IMO, Teppo has looked old and slow at couple different points this year, and would really benefit from a night off here and there.

Since Dave isn't around to respond, I'll point out that Tallinder's has not had a problem with injuries till this year. The arm wasn't fully healed at the beginning of the season, and he broke it in the same spot. The only thing I would say is that he should not have come back from a freak injury so soon. As for the ankle, it happens...

As for Nate, I am much more comfortable with him than the near all-star he replaced...

Agreed.

I used to cringe everytime I saw him on the ice, and I can still remember yelling at the TV "IT'S IN YOUR DAMN SKATES!!" in game 7 of the ECF.

I yelled that too, but I was so used to yelling it at Rory that it took me a second to realize it was Paestch ;)

I yelled that too, but I was so used to yelling it at Rory that it took me a second to realize it was Paestch ;)

I thought it WAS Rory. I was at the game and that whole play just unfolded for me in slow motion as I watched Brind'Amour(sp?) sneak in from the point.

Anyways, back to the whole we need a defenseman argument. I have yet to see anyone lay out a reasonable scenario where we don't get rid of a defensemen we already have. As far as I know all 7 that we have would have to clear waivers to go to Rochester, so who would we get and how would we fit them on the team?

As far as trading Marty, I see that as a double edged sword. If, and it's a big if, we get some real value for him in a player, not draft picks, and Miller stays healthy then it may be a good deal providing we can find a serviceable backup somewhere. However, everyone would be all over Regier if Miller went down in the playoffs and our backup sucked.

It is my bet that Darcy does not make a move.

I think there are very few players (esp. defensemen) that will be available

on the market in the next month that don't come at such a premium as

to rupture the entire look of this team. Anybody getting rid of a defenseman will

be out of the playoffs or dumping salary- and I think very few defensemen can step right

in and play Buffalo's system.

As far as picking up some kind of veteran forward with size - that is probably more

realistic - but you can't really expect much in terms of scoring touch in that department.

I would say it is 75% likely that the team stands pat.

As much as I would like to see them make a move or two, I think there are two things to consider -

first is Connolly - there has to be some sort of decision made on whether he will come back and can contribute before the playoffs start. Second is the cap - we can't deal prospects and take on salary in return - pretty much any trade will have to cost us someone significant off the current roster - a Kalinin, Kotalik, or someone like that.

Besides, it doesn't matter that our owner is worth "billions" since he can only pay up to the point of the cap.

Archived