Brian Leetch and others

sabresnutinphoenix

I wouldn't mind if Darcy signed Brian Leetch for the remainder of the season...This would help spell Teppo Numminen a bit and also it couldn't hurt our Power Play effectiveness...Also, he's got some Stanley Cup experience....Also, if we could add a real physical person (ie. Kaspiritus type), I think we'd be unstoppable...

To be honest, I'd rather add another center-man that has a more physical style of play and could add some grit that we lost when Grier walked out the door.

I know that Grier wasn't a center, but I'd like a guy in the Brind'Amour mode, that will crash the net, throw a few checks and is great on face-offs.

Am I asking for too much? Don't know. I do know that I LOVE the way that Paetsch plays and that no matter what we do, I hope we don't let go of Marty. Having two viable goalies in the playoffs is the best insurance any team could ask for.

I hope we don't let go of Marty. Having two viable goalies in the playoffs is the best insurance any team could ask for.

When New Jersey won the cup, who was Brodeurs backup? When the Red Wings won their cups, who was the backup? When Roy was backstopping the Av's Stanley Cup Championships, who was his backup? And the kicker, how many games did Marty play in last years playoffs???

Trade Marty at the deadline for some insurance down the stretch. We don't need two #1 goalies in April, May, and June.

When New Jersey won the cup, who was Brodeurs backup? When the Red Wings won their cups, who was the backup? When Roy was backstopping the Av's Stanley Cup Championships, who was his backup? And the kicker, how many games did Marty play in last years playoffs???

Trade Marty at the deadline for some insurance down the stretch. We don't need two #1 goalies in April, May, and June.

After watching Marty's now-infmaous "stand on my head, then let in a killer softie" style of play, I tend to agree with you, fushetti. If Miller goes down in the playoffs for an extended amount of time, I really can't see Marty taking us to the promised land.

But that's just me, I could be wrong...

After watching Marty's now-infmaous "stand on my head, then let in a killer softie" style of play, I tend to agree with you, fushetti. If Miller goes down in the playoffs for an extended amount of time, I really can't see Marty taking us to the promised land.

But that's just me, I could be wrong...

so you'd rather have a ahl backup make an attempt?

Who says we would have to have an AHL backup? There are experienced, cheaper backup alternatives to Marty out there, guys that another team would give up for a draft pick, future considerations or a low-level minor leaguer.

Besides, if Miller went down and we had to use a backup, then we'd be in the same boat as 95% of the other playoff teams. Anaheim is the only team I'd say is OK no matter who they start and who they have on the bench, and maybe SJ with Nabakov & Toskala. That assumes that neither of them try to move one of their goalies to pick someone up at the deadline.

Personally I don't think we've gotten $2M worth of goaltending from Marty this year, so I have no problem with moving him if it will make this team better. Do I want to go into the playoffs with an AHL goalie? Not if we can avoid it, no. But in my eyes, even if we do keep Marty, I have almost zero confidence that Marty could get the job done for an extended run in the playoffs. It's a risk/reward situation, so we have to decide if the risk of a different backup playing in the playoffs is worth the reward if it brings in someone who can legitimately help this team over the hump in the postseason.

Who says we would have to have an AHL backup? There are experienced, cheaper backup alternatives to Marty out there, guys that another team would give up for a draft pick, future considerations or a low-level minor leaguer.

Besides, if Miller went down and we had to use a backup, then we'd be in the same boat as 95% of the other playoff teams. Anaheim is the only team I'd say is OK no matter who they start and who they have on the bench, and maybe SJ with Nabakov & Toskala. That assumes that neither of them try to move one of their goalies to pick someone up at the deadline.

Personally I don't think we've gotten $2M worth of goaltending from Marty this year, so I have no problem with moving him if it will make this team better. Do I want to go into the playoffs with an AHL goalie? Not if we can avoid it, no. But in my eyes, even if we do keep Marty, I have almost zero confidence that Marty could get the job done for an extended run in the playoffs. It's a risk/reward situation, so we have to decide if the risk of a different backup playing in the playoffs is worth the reward if it brings in someone who can legitimately help this team over the hump in the postseason.

You overlooked a very good tandem in Nashville...Vokoun and Mason. I know the Sabres torched them for seven goals, but they are two very good goalies. I also thought the same thing...they should have traded Marty last year and kept Mika.

You overlooked a very good tandem in Nashville...Vokoun and Mason. I know the Sabres torched them for seven goals, but they are two very good goalies. I also thought the same thing...they should have traded Marty last year and kept Mika.

Just a clarification, the Sabres torched Mason and Michael Leighton; Vokoun was injured at the time. As for last year's decision, it's tough to say trading Mika was the wrong decision. The three-headed goalie monster had to be tamed somehow while still keeping Miller. Biron adds something to the locker room that Noronen didn't.

I mentioned Leetch to a friend the other day. Not sure how the cap works after the trade deadline or after the playoffs start, but this could be a possibility. If Leetch does come back, it will surely be with a solid contender, which the Sabres should still be by the time he decides what he's gonna do.

Philly is carrying 3 goalies right now. I'm not saying I'd like to see us add Esche (not sure if he is cheaper than Marty), but I do think one of the Philly goalies will be moved somewhere.

PS Yes, I know we have destroyed Esche on many occasions, I'm just saying he might be in the move...

When Carolina won the cup, who was their backup?

You guys are all correct. In fact, you're scaring me so much that I think we should do what last year's trade-deadline poster suggested and go get a couple more goalies, in case Ryan AND Marty go down. Defensive depth be damned. <_<

Seriously, as I said before, its a risk/reward thing. Can you move Marty for a skater that will help the team more often, and then in turn, trade for an experienced, cheaper backup? I think it can be done. The questions are: whether the player you trade Marty for can make enough of an impact to offset the risk of Ryan going down; and if you will feel comfortable with a backup like Boucher ($475K), Conklin ($525K) or Esche ($1M) (not advocating any of them, just throwing these names & salaries out there for comparison.)

You guys are all correct. In fact, you're scaring me so much that I think we should do what last year's trade-deadline poster suggested and go get a couple more goalies, in case Ryan AND Marty go down. Defensive depth be damned. <_<

Darcy screwed the pooch with the D last year as well. Every NHL Gm knows that you need 10 NHL ready Dmen going into the playoffs. <_<

Seriously, as I said before, its a risk/reward thing. Can you move Marty for a skater that will help the team more often, and then in turn, trade for an experienced, cheaper backup? I think it can be done. The questions are: whether the player you trade Marty for can make enough of an impact to offset the risk of Ryan going down; and if you will feel comfortable with a backup like Boucher ($475K), Conklin ($525K) or Esche ($1M) (not advocating any of them, just throwing these names & salaries out there for comparison.)

C'mon, you know the Sabres style of play and what it means for the goalie. Odd-man breaks, screened shots, no help in the crease. You really want to see a guy like Esche, Conklin, or Boucher in that system? Conklin had Pronger in front of him last year, and he still sucked.

Do you really believe that a career backup can come into town in March, and adjust to the Sabres style of play by mid-April?

Biron has won games in the the Sabres system. If Miller goes down, at least the team has a fighting chance with him net. Can you imagine what Esche would look like? If Biron is traded, and Miller goes down, the Cup run is over.

C'mon, you know the Sabres style of play and what it means for the goalie. Odd-man breaks, screened shots, no help in the crease. You really want to see a guy like Esche, Conklin, or Boucher in that system? Conklin had Pronger in front of him last year, and he still sucked.

Do you really believe that a career backup can come into town in March, and adjust to the Sabres style of play by mid-April?

Biron has won games in the the Sabres system. If Miller goes down, at least the team has a fighting chance with him net. Can you imagine what Esche would look like? If Biron is traded, and Miller goes down, the Cup run is over.

Again, not saying they should pick one of those guys specifically:

Here's the point you've missed - not only are they career backups who's stats are not much different than Marty's 3.10 GAA, .890 SV% numbers, but they are also much more affordable and have actual playoff experience. Yes, Marty has won games in the Sabres system - in the regular season. He has yet to step foot in the crease for a postseason game, so that makes him as much of a liability as someone like Boucher, Conklin or Esche, IMO.

I guess we disagree about Marty giving us a fighting chance if Ryan goes down. I still do not see Marty as someone who can backstop this team to the Cup, and I hope we don't have to find out. But Marty's track record of coming up small when the pressure is highest doesn't exactly inspire confidence that all will be OK. Could we survive one, two playoff games with Marty? Probably. Anything more, and I think the Sabres are in serious trouble.

Again, not saying they should pick one of those guys specifically:

Here's the point you've missed - not only are they career backups who's stats are not much different than Marty's 3.10 GAA, .890 SV% numbers, but they are also much more affordable and have actual playoff experience. Yes, Marty has won games in the Sabres system - in the regular season. He has yet to step foot in the crease for a postseason game, so that makes him as much of a liability as someone like Boucher, Conklin or Esche, IMO.

I guess we disagree about Marty giving us a fighting chance if Ryan goes down. I still do not see Marty as someone who can backstop this team to the Cup, and I hope we don't have to find out. But Marty's track record of coming up small when the pressure is highest doesn't exactly inspire confidence that all will be OK. Could we survive one, two playoff games with Marty? Probably. Anything more, and I think the Sabres are in serious trouble.

I'd take the playoff 'unknown' with Biron over the playoff 'known' with a guy like Esche or Conklin. And I'd pay a premium for it for a legitimate Stanley Cup run.

And I know that you used those guys as examples, but who in the backup goalie market is better than them? Buffalo's not going to make a deal with Anaheim or San Jose, Cujo is too expensive, and Nashville isn't going to deal, so you did a pretty good job of naming the best guys available.

I'd take the playoff 'unknown' with Biron over the playoff 'known' with a guy like Esche or Conklin. And I'd pay a premium for it for a legitimate Stanley Cup run.

And I know that you used those guys as examples, but who in the backup goalie market is better than them? Buffalo's not going to make a deal with Anaheim or San Jose, Cujo is too expensive, and Nashville isn't going to deal, so you did a pretty good job of naming the best guys available.

Esche had a bad playoffs last year, but the season before he went all the way to the ECF. That's a lot more playoff experience than Marty's 0-0 record.

Esche had a bad playoffs last year, but the season before he went all the way to the ECF. That's a lot more playoff experience than Marty's 0-0 record.

Of those three I listed, Conklin is the only one without any appreciable playoff experience.

Esche's playoff numbers: 25G, 13-11 record; 2.73 GAA, .907 SV %

Boucher's playoff numbers: 21G, 11-8 record; 2.06 GAA, .916 SV %

Would I want either of those guys as my no. 1 going into the playoffs? Hell no. Could we survive with them for a couple games? Probably, yes - just like Marty. Is the idea of Boucher/Esche + player picked up in a Marty trade better than Marty on the bench in case something happens? Maybe. I guess whether we keep Marty depends on a couple things - what we would get for him in trade; who would we get as the backup, and whether the Sabres management feels the team is better with Marty, or with a different backup and another quality forward/defenseman for depth.

Of course I'd pay the premium for a legitimate Stanley Cup win - but I guess we have to agree to disagree that Marty could be a big part of said Cup run.

Esche's good numbers were also in the 'old' NHL. We've all seen the results of his play in the 'new' NHL. It isn't pretty.

I'll still take Biron.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again now: no one is going to give us anything good -- certainly not a player who would get ice time for us in the playoffs -- for Marty. He's not that good, he's making a lot of money, and he's a UFA after this year. Why in the world would anyone give us a Brind'amour or a Recchi or a Weight for that?

the teams that are unloading the above rent-a-players (which doesn't include Brind'amour) at the deadline are looking for young prospects and/or draft picks in return, not expensive, underperforming veterans.

this is not to say that I oppose bringing in a rent-a-player. I wouldn't mind a tough forward who can score like Recchi or Weight did last year for Carolina (although if Connolly starts practicing after the all-star break I could get over that in a hurry). I just think we should stop kidding ourselves that we're going to get that type of guy for Marty.

Esche's good numbers were also in the 'old' NHL. We've all seen the results of his play in the 'new' NHL. It isn't pretty.

I'll still take Biron.

There is no doubt that if I were picking a starting goalie I would take Marty over Esche. However, if picking a backup, and considering the salary difference, I would take Esche. This team needs salary cap space more than it needs Biron as a backup.

Archived