READ THIS AND THEN ANSWER ONE QUESTION

Sabretooth73

Baseball salaries have been escalating steadily for longer than when he was waving his check around. This was nothing new at the time.

I'm not sure what you are implying in regards to the stadium, but Rich did not fund any portion of it. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he even pays maintenance and upkeep costs during the season. This is taken care of by the city or county.

I guess Bob Rich has achieved "savior" status. Move over Quinny, you need to share your throne. :worthy: :worthy:

yeah you are right, it was MUCH better before he bought the team from the city and they were drawing 800 people a night to the Rockpile, 400 of which were there hoping to rob the other 400 on their way to their cars after the game.

Again, I said there were MANY others responsible for getting Pilot Field built, but you can't deny that he was a driving force behind saving the team in the early 80s and fixing up the Rockpile to make it an almost-decent place to watch a game. Most of that WAS done with his own money, and it was his own money that he poured into all the efforts to get an MLB team.

I just don't see how you feel like he did the city wrong somehow. if you don't like baseball and don't care if Buffalo ever had a team of any kind, that's another thing. But if not for Bob Rich, baseball in Buffalo would have died forever, and to me and many others that would have been a horrible thing.

There's a good book about it called "Miracle in Buffalo: How the Dream of Baseball Revived a City" ... I read it a while back, and again, if you want to argue baseball was not worth it, that's fine, but you make it sound like Buffalo would have a major league team now if Rich had not screwed it up, and that is just 100% B.S. Here's the link to the book on Amazon if anyone is interested, it's pretty interesting, lots of behind the scenes stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Buffalo-Drea...ie=UTF8&s=books

Lacrosse? Are you serious? Maybe I should have mentioned the Bisons winning the Triple A title a few years ago, in front of crowds less than 2500 for some of those "playoff games". Give me a break, Lacrosse. Should I also have mentioned Buffalo winning the "perogie title" this year also, "A hole"

i remember the 1st game in Pilot field, it was snowing, man that place is a great place to watch baseball

Dude, in your original post you bitched about Arena Football and non-scholarship Canisius College football ... how are they any different from lacrosse? if you are going to complain about arena football, you have to give lacrosse its due.

hey, you wanna dd lacrosse to the list be my guest...but as far as buffalo/wny teams ripping your heart out, the list i compiled hit on exactly that. The mere fact the arena team and caniisius football left is just another example of disappointment for WNY. I mentioned nothing about any particular games of those team, just the fact those teams no longer exist. If you wanna start brining up lacrosse championships then why not bring up bills afc titles, or sabres conference titles? the point was to list disapponting events/games for wny teams. Dont bring this lacrosse crap to me and argue this topic, seriously, youre really grasping.

And whats with 'ahole".... im a die hard buffalo sports fan, i cant/wont ever change, but me listing all the disappointments makes me an ahole i guess, great logic pal.

i didn't call you an a-hole, but you are getting awfully defensive about this ...

basically, you are getting attacked because the implication is that you think it would be better to be a fair-weather fan, one who does not want to be set up for disappointment.

Again, no doubt we have been through a lot of disappointments, but ... so what? I have no idea whether or not this season's Sabres will be the ones to bring us a title or if they will "rip our heart out" again. honestly, I don't care. I mean, obviously i care and want them to win, but I'll jump in with both feet again next year, win or lose. Why? because it's what we do. and by "we" I mean fans. If you don't, if you try to protect yourself from disappointment by saying "why should I care, I'll just be disappointed again" ... well, I can't even grasp that. What's the point? You're only going to get emotionally involved if you can convince yourself there's no way you can be disappointed? Is it even possible to enjoy it if they win in that case, or would you just be relieved?

I know you said you are not a fair weather fan, and I believe you, but the way you wrote the original post, it sounds like you are getting worn down and considering it. Maybe we are all taking it wrong, but that's what it sounds like, like you are sick of the disappointments so maybe it is not worth giving crap anymore.

didnt say you called me an "ahole" some other douche bag did bc i didnt mention the "buffalo bandits"

im not a fair weather fan, will ALWAYS be a buffalo/wny sports fan, no matter what

yes, it does wear you down, i guess, how can it not, even a little bit?

My point of the post is simple, all the letdowns and disappointments,disasters, etc.... how high can we or shoould we set our expectations with this sabre team. I mean, last season, I seriously thought was THE season. Then, unimaginably we get completely devastated by injuries in the ECF's. I am tired of losing, tired of complete collapses, or unexplainable defeats..... especially living in another city now and hearing other morons rip your hometown with all of the losses and heartbreak. Yeah, I do get defensive about it, I defend Buffalo all i can. I even think the city is a great city. Politicians have done a number on that, but thats another debate. Dont take it too seriously or for what its not, my orig post is only to mention all the bad stuff, and just ask if this season will be another to add to that list, or one that will break that string of disappointment.

It hasn't all been heartbreak and disappointment. Remember:

51-3

7-6

"where else would you rather be than right here, right now?"

Briere's OT winner in game 6 of the ECF

Cream of Umberger Soup

Thurman putting his head down and running over Bryan Cox in the 4th quarter to seal a playoff win

Andre scoring 3 long TDs vs Philly in the 1st half

The French Connection

Schony challenging the entire Bruins' bench

Dominik slamming the door shut

"NO ONE circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"

These are all incredible memories that we are privileged to be able to have and cherish.

Don't worry so much about what hasn't happened. A lot of great things HAVE happened. This Sabres team is a GD roller coaster. Nonstop thrills. Just enjoy and stop worrying about not winning the cup.

Why should you believe this is the team that will get it done?

Why not? Only 1 of 30 is going to skate into the sunset carrying a large silver cup and have a winning streak headed into the '07-'08 season. Will that 1 be the Sabres? Who knows? Whether they are or aren't, it's gonna be one heck of a ride.

Whether they do or don't, it's going to be a lot of fun watching it and at a certain level being a part of it. This current team is absolutely the best team that Buffalo has had since '01 and is the most entertaining team the City has seen since the Bandits were winning every game they played (if you count "minor" sports) and since the K-Gun was running (if you don't count "minor" sports). It's the most entertaining Sabres team since the late '70's, or quite likely, ever.

Assuming Darcy can keep it all together, this team can challenge for and, (hey, you never know) maybe even win Lord Stanley's Chalice every now and then for the foreseeable future. I'm going to be glued to the TV or jumping out of my seat for the whole playoff run. Whether it works out or not, as I stated before, it's gonna be one heck of a ride and I'd recommend people buy stock in Labatt's (or at least their local distributorships). ;)

didnt say you called me an "ahole" some other douche bag did bc i didnt mention the "buffalo bandits"

im not a fair weather fan, will ALWAYS be a buffalo/wny sports fan, no matter what

yes, it does wear you down, i guess, how can it not, even a little bit?

My point of the post is simple, all the letdowns and disappointments,disasters, etc.... how high can we or shoould we set our expectations with this sabre team. I mean, last season, I seriously thought was THE season. Then, unimaginably we get completely devastated by injuries in the ECF's. I am tired of losing, tired of complete collapses, or unexplainable defeats..... especially living in another city now and hearing other morons rip your hometown with all of the losses and heartbreak. Yeah, I do get defensive about it, I defend Buffalo all i can. I even think the city is a great city. Politicians have done a number on that, but thats another debate. Dont take it too seriously or for what its not, my orig post is only to mention all the bad stuff, and just ask if this season will be another to add to that list, or one that will break that string of disappointment.

Well, I don't think you can ever EXPECT a championship ... too many things can happen. Does it really matter? Obviously we are all going to live and die with it no matter the answer to your question. I never really think it is THE year, and it still hurts like hell. Or maybe i always think it is THE year, and I don't admit it, so it hurts like hell. So who knows?

Now that the Red Sox have won a World Series, I have faith that Buffalo will bring home a championship - be it the Cup or a Superbowl - sometime soon.

The 05-06 Sabres had what it takes. The 06-07 Sabres have it just as much, if not more. I really feel these players have a good sense of chemistry with each other, especially considering that the young guys being called up from Rochester blend in very well with the veterans. They started out in (almost) record-type fashion and they've kept the same level of play ever since. Only once do I remember them playing a horrible game (last week @ Florida).

The last team I remember with this type of chemistry - the 1998 Yankees.

This team has "it" and that's why I have faith.

I just don't see how you feel like he did the city wrong somehow. if you don't like baseball and don't care if Buffalo ever had a team of any kind, that's another thing. But if not for Bob Rich, baseball in Buffalo would have died forever, and to me and many others that would have been a horrible thing.

There's a good book about it called "Miracle in Buffalo: How the Dream of Baseball Revived a City" ... I read it a while back, and again, if you want to argue baseball was not worth it, that's fine, but you make it sound like Buffalo would have a major league team now if Rich had not screwed it up, and that is just 100% B.S. Here's the link to the book on Amazon if anyone is interested, it's pretty interesting, lots of behind the scenes stuff.

I actually like baseball and wish that Buffalo would have been given a chance at a MLB franchise. At the time Pilot Field was built, the structure was put in place to add another deck. I guess we will never know if Buffalo could have handled another pro team. :(

I actually like baseball and wish that Buffalo would have been given a chance at a MLB franchise. At the time Pilot Field was built, the structure was put in place to add another deck. I guess we will never know if Buffalo could have handled another pro team. :(

I think it's pretty safe to say it could not have handled a baseball team given the state of game today. They announced today that the Devil Rays are going to play a regular season series at the Disney complex in Orlando this season to try to tap into that market. The "stadium" they will play in holds 9,500. When you know you will draw less than 10,000 people to a game and it STILL sounds like a GOOD idea, that's a pretty good sign you are in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I think Buffalo fans would have supported a team better than things have gone in Tampa, but the small-market issues facing the Bills and Sabres would have been 10 times worse in baseball.

Why should I think this years Sabres will finally be the WNY team to NOT let us all down and actually win the whole F-in thing?

Thoughts/comments?????

Maybe it won't happen this year. So what? Buffalo fans love and support their teams.

When my present hometown team won the cup last year it was a thrill, but nothing will compare to what it will be like when the Bills or Sabres win it all.

I got my picture with the cup yesterday and there was hardly any wait at all. Can you imagine what the line will be like when the Sabres win the cup?

When it finally does happen it will be that much more special after going through all those disappointing years.

You conveniently left off the lacrosse titles the Buffalo Bandits have won. Oh, but it's lacrosse so who cares, right? But I'll bet if they hadn't won, they'd be on your list, a-hole.

PTR

in fairness to this guy, i've been a buffalo sports fan all my life, and i forgot the lacrosse team even existed. i would never have borough them up in this discussion either. do they still play that sport there?

Interesting Article from 1989

Another from the NY Times

He was right in that NY Times article. If I remember correctly, the MLB did not want to put a team in Buffalo. When it looked like Rich had the best bid of all, they up'ed the entry fee. He could have made a fortune by putting up the $95M back in 1990, assuming he could. He didn't, and Buffalo did not have to go through the inevitable agony of losing that team while he made all that money.

Maybe they wont, and "so what"

are you freaking kidding me?

so what.... we finally have one of the most dominant teams/lineups in the league and all it comes down to is a "so what" approach?

its hard as hell to get a team this good, and doesnt happen eery year, so thats why I want them to win it NOW!

of course nothing will compare to buffalo winning it all, since I am a Buffalo fan.

I cant even fathom rooting for another team, and the fact that you were 'thrilled" by the "hurrikins" winning it doesnt make you much of a buffalo fan, pal. NO way around that. Im a die hard Bills/sabres fan and I despise the panthers and Hurricanes. there is no "2nd favorite" in my book.

let me add i live in charlotte, nc.... F the panthers and "hurrikins"

Maybe it won't happen this year. So what? Buffalo fans love and support their teams.

Says the guy whose team has already won the Cup (and at our expense...)

When my present hometown team won the cup last year it was a thrill, but nothing will compare to what it will be like when the Bills or Sabres win it all.

At least you got that right.

I got my picture with the cup yesterday and there was hardly any wait at all. Can you imagine what the line will be like when the Sabres win the cup?

That's because college basketball just started.

When it finally does happen it will be that much more special after going through all those disappointing years.

That will make it even sweeter.

Sorry, HockeyT, just busting your chops a little. While the thought of them getting bounced from the playoffs short of their goal drives me crazy, I am going to try to enjoy this team and this season each game, because with the cap, injuries, free agency, etc., we have no idea if the 2007-08 team will even resemble this one. If they do win the Cup, I might have to join this guy:

That said......when we win the Stanley cup, I'm gonna get liquored up, go out in the driveway, flip my car over singlehandedly, and set it on fire.

its hard as hell to get a team this good, and doesnt happen eery year, so thats why I want them to win it NOW!

And again, we appreciate your passion, but we all know how hard it is to put together a dominating team, and how difficult it is to win the Cup - after all, there will be only one winner this year, and 29 losers. And we all (HockeyT aside) want to experience that Championship Feeling. Its not like any of us are saying "no, don't win it this year, you can wait till next year or the year after if you want." We ALL want to see them win it now.

sounds to me like most of you think the sabres wont win it all this year, which is why i oringinally posed the question.... typical buffalo, will fail in the end, another season, no championship

i think they can do it, and like i said, if they dont, will be devastated

sick of saying 'there is always next year"

sounds to me like most of you think the sabres wont win it all this year, which is why i oringinally posed the question.... typical buffalo, will fail in the end, another season, no championship

i think they can do it, and like i said, if they dont, will be devastated

sick of saying 'there is always next year"

Will the Sabres win the cup? Odds are against it. This is a good team, but they are beatable.

Winning the cup takes a combination of Skill, Endurance, Luck, and Serendipity.

Winning the Cup is getting way ahead in my opinion. It is one step at a time, one day at a time.

Having said all that, I wish I would have enjoyed those Superbowl years more.

Why frame everything by such a dour analysis? You'll be devastated? Why all the anticipatory gloominess.

b/c i am sick of not having a buffalo team be a champion, period

this team is great

after this season, who knows, maybe and they wont be as good, the window of opportunity isnt or might not be that large

i see a great team, and want it all, sorry

i cannot understand how no one else feel this way

b/c i am sick of not having a buffalo team be a champion, period

this team is great

after this season, who knows, maybe and they wont be as good, the window of opportunity isnt or might not be that large

i see a great team, and want it all, sorry

i cannot understand how no one else feel this way

You are entitled to how you feel.

I think I will stick to talking hockey from now on.

No, yelling "they have to win now because I am sick of not having a championship" is not discussing hockey. Again, we're all sick of not having a major sports title (nod to the Bisons and Bandits fans) but most of us realize that while this is our best shot at the Cup in years, we know that winning the Cup is the toughest task in sports. Most of us are trying to focus on the journey as well as the ultimate goal.

pouty and whiny? yelling?

nice assumptions, but incorrect

not pouty at all, just feel this is the best shot we'rte gonna have at a major sports title, and it will be a disappointment if they dont win it all.

Im not the only one that feels this way.

yeah, the "journey" is great and i am enjoying it, but we all know the playoffs are when it "really matters"

ridiculous is the "name calling" and absurd assumptions if it "doesnt agree with someone else's views".

Archived