Stafford and Paille...who stays up?

LabattBlue

Even though I believe Stafford has a ton of upside and will be the better player when all is said and done, Paille is a better fit when everyone gets healthy. Stafford is just giving away the puck too much.

I'm not sure they can make it happen, but I'd like to see Stafford back in Rochester, Paille on the 4th line and Peters in the press box buffet line. Forgot the assists he has racked up in the last two games, he is just a solid two way player who would be great on the 4th line the rest of this year and potential to be a 3rd line player in the future.

No question about it, i agree with you, they can not send Paille down. The kid has great vison, great speed, is very smart and you can tell as he parks in the right spots. The kid has a sense of the game and is definetly ready to play. Stafford will be the better NHLer down the road, but lacks some things, mainly due to expierence, but Paille is hands down the better of the two right now. I've been so impressed with Paille i don't even know.... however, i do think Buffalo will find a way to keep both.

I was thinking about this question since the game ended. I want to see both stay with the Sabres. Paillie may be a bit more polished. By I like how Stafford sticks his nose in the corners.

I was actually thinking about which forward would be moved since that is the only way I think it could happen when all are healthy.

If I had to move a forward I think it would be Hecht. In his six seasons he has only stayed healthy once. This may also be a bias against him not being a Sabres prospect and I admit that. That said. I think Hecht would also bring back a good return of prospects or picks.

I'm not saying they should make any move. I'm just tossing out an option since the Sabres seem to have a lot of forwards that are NHL ready.

Also,

I think Paestch is doing a great job. He takes his penalties. But the penalties seem to come from him being agressive. He is a much better option than Fitzpatrick.

Funk has also played well in his limited time. 3 games 2 assists and a +2.

What a 'Tale of two Cities' we have here in Buffalo. The Sabres seem to have enough talent for two NHL teams. The Bills don't seem to have enough talent to dress a 'Gus Macker' squad. B-)

I was thinking about this question since the game ended. I want to see both stay with the Sabres. Paillie may be a bit more polished. By I like how Stafford sticks his nose in the corners.

I was actually thinking about which forward would be moved since that is the only way I think it could happen when all are healthy.

If I had to move a forward I think it would be Hecht. In his six seasons he has only stayed healthy once. This may also be a bias against him not being a Sabres prospect and I admit that. That said. I think Hecht would also bring back a good return of prospects or picks.

I'm not saying they should make any move. I'm just tossing out an option since the Sabres seem to have a lot of forwards that are NHL ready.

Also,

I think Paestch is doing a great job. He takes his penalties. But the penalties seem to come from him being agressive. He is a much better option than Fitzpatrick.

Funk has also played well in his limited time. 3 games 2 assists and a +2.

What a 'Tale of two Cities' we have here in Buffalo. The Sabres seem to have enough talent for two NHL teams. The Bills don't seem to have enough talent to dress a 'Gus Macker' squad. B-)

Well, I'm waiting for them to do one of either :

a. Cut Peters, and deal Paille or Kotalik for a no. 5-7 d-man.

b. Declare Connolly gone for the season, and keep the team intact.

c. Cut Peters and deal Paille or Kotalik for picks.

Either way, they're in cap trouble with Tim not playing. Something needs to be done.

Either way, they're in cap trouble with Tim not playing. Something needs to be done.

Actually, they don't have cap trouble with Tim not playing. Things get interesting for them when/if Timmy comes back. THEN they don't have cap space to bring any of the kids up / keep them up without making a move.

A move will be made "IF" he comes back this season. If a moves is made it will probably involve Biron, or one of the better forwards on the team for the sole purpose of cap relief. To keep the young players like Paille, or Stafford up with the club, Salary will need to be moved, and unfortunatly because the rest of the leagu knows this, Buffalo will not get much in return (maybe prospects or draft picks, something where big money will not need to be paid out) Peters will not get moved only because it makes no sence. They see him as a useful player unlike most here who believe because he isn't putting up 50 goals, he's useless, and he's cheap. Probably the cheapest player on the team. He can play (not an all star but atleast a fourth liner) who is affordable and can sit in the press box until needed. Would you prefer a player like Paille be scratched and sitting in the press box instead of on an NHL or AHL rink where he can continue to develop? Peters will only be moved if it is part of a larger deal.

This team has a big problem, Too many NHL ready players, and not enough Cap Room/Roster spots for them. Like it or not, some good players may have to be moved to make things work.

Why Kotalik?

I've seen other posts where he is mentioned as the one to go. He has a heavy shot and I would hate

to see it removed from the powerplay.

Why Kotalik?

I've seen other posts where he is mentioned as the one to go. He has a heavy shot and I would hate

Because someone making a couple million a year will have to go to make room for the younger players to stay up and "If" Connolley can come back sometime this year the Sabres want him to play.

Weither its Kotalik, Hecht, Biron (would provide salary relief, but still requires a body to come back and play backup) or someone (And I highly doubt they are going to ship out B-Rod with the season he is having)

I know it's a sad case because he finally had his breakout season, but why are we hanging on to Connelly? Even if he comes back there's no guarantee that he plays anything close to what we was last year (due to inactivity) and he'll always be one hit away from retirement or death.

Why risk losing one or more functional high profile starters and AHL'ers for a player with an uncertain present and future?

Because someone making a couple million a year will have to go to make room for the younger players to stay up and "If" Connolley can come back sometime this year the Sabres want him to play.

Weither its Kotalik, Hecht, Biron (would provide salary relief, but still requires a body to come back and play backup) or someone (And I highly doubt they are going to ship out B-Rod with the season he is having)

With the injury bug still around this team I don't see Biron going anywhere.

If it came down to Kotalik or Hecht? I'd keep Kotalik.

B-Rod is an interesting topic. Right now he is a $5 million rent-a-player. Do the Sabres have plans for him beyond this year? Does Briere want to stay in Buffalo or go home to Montreal and play for a bigger contract. That will be the story of the summer. Except for the Sabres Cup Parade.

Trade Paille?? Are you kidding me?? This kid is part of the future of this team, a 1st rounder from just 3 drafts ago! When people like Briere & Drury have priced themselves out of our budget or moved on, it will be players like Paille that will carry the torch. You're talking about someone who was the captain of Canada's world junior team, a team that had the likes of Sid Crosby on it. I can definitely see him with a 'C' on his chest in 5 or 6 year.

Why Kotalik?

No other reason, than the fact that he can skate, hustle, take the body and has the big shot. In other words, other teams would love a guy like this.

We're stocked on the forward positions, and still a little too thin on D for my liking. This season has shown that losing 3-4 defensemen is something that can happen again, if you throw in a little bad luck.

With regards to Kotalik - Sometimes you have to give something up to get something in return, and I personally feel at this point that Kotalik is the forward with the greatest trade value, barring Briere, Drury, Vanek and Max, who I wouldn't want to part with at this time.

Trade Paille?? Are you kidding me?? This kid is part of the future of this team, a 1st rounder from just 3 drafts ago! When people like Briere & Drury have priced themselves out of our budget or moved on, it will be players like Paille that will carry the torch. You're talking about someone who was the captain of Canada's world junior team, a team that had the likes of Sid Crosby on it. I can definitely see him with a 'C' on his chest in 5 or 6 year.

Ok, I think my post wasn't too clear :

I wasn't really stating my opinion of what I would like to see happen with either Paille og Kotalik, it was a case of "I wouldn't be surprised if they..." more than anything else.

That said though, I think Kotalik is the best piece of trade-bait we have on the forward side, when you factor his value into what he brings to the team.

I WOULD like to see them pick up another 5-7 d-man though.

I agree man, Paille needs to stay plain and simple............... :beer:

I know it's a sad case because he finally had his breakout season, but why are we hanging on to Connelly? Even if he comes back there's no guarantee that he plays anything close to what we was last year (due to inactivity) and he'll always be one hit away from retirement or death.

Why risk losing one or more functional high profile starters and AHL'ers for a player with an uncertain present and future?

Why keep Connolly? Game one vs. Ottawa. That's why you keep Tim Connolly. There really isn't too much of a risk of losing one of the valuable prospects right now, so it really doesn't hurt to hold onto him, hoping he returns to that form.

I WOULD like to see them pick up another 5-7 d-man though.

I really want to know why people keep insisting we NEED another dman. (Sorry Kristian, Had to use you as an example, I'm not pointing out anyone in general, but I've heard this same statement a quite often.) Do people not realize we have 7 quality dmen? We CANNOT keep an 8th dman whose worth a damn on this team because if they were needed to be sent down to the minors we'd in all likelihood lose them to waivers. So why lose a current player to trade to have a defensemen who we may not even be able to keep. This is how it is in the New NHL. any reserves are going to be youngins or a career AHLer like Brandon Smith who is currently down in Rochester. No one including me wants to see what happened in last years playoffs happen again. Last year was a freak occurrence and Buffalo was the only team it happened to. Regardless of how many people we had injured the replacements played their off and made it a closer game than it should have been.

//end Rant... I'm good now

This topic has gone way out of hand.

Deal Paille? Get rid of Connolly?

Anyone who's fallowed the Sabres in the past 4-5 years, would realize Darcy Regier is not gonna deal prospects very easily, and Paille is one of his guys, in the terms of he is a hard worker and like someone said, we will not always be lucky enough to keep the Briere's and Drury's and when our top guns leave, it's kids like Paille and Stafford who will take over. So, there's NO WAY that Darcy deals Paille unless he is part of a deal that in his opinion basicially guarentees us the Stanley Cup and those type of deals are not around in the salery cap era.

Connolly? When healthy, he's a easy 100 point centerman. We've invested so much time and money in him, and after he has an awesome season and a bad injury, people wanna abandon him???

Like i said before, if there is a deal this season, either Kotalik or Biron are headed out. Peters or a prospect may be included but very unlikey a prospect like Paille.

With the injury bug still around this team I don't see Biron going anywhere.

B-Rod is an interesting topic. Right now he is a $5 million rent-a-player. Do the Sabres have plans for him beyond this year? Does Briere want to stay in Buffalo or go home to Montreal and play for a bigger contract. That will be the story of the summer. Except for the Sabres Cup Parade.

DeLuca and APus -- how can you call him "B-Rod" after he took over yet another tight game against a good team and made a huge contribution to us getting the win? A-Rod is one of the biggest choke artists in modern sports history. Briere is a great clutch player.

DeLuca -- I assume you're not seriously suggesting that the Sabres would entertain trading Briere. There is zero possibility of this happening. Even though the risk is substantial that he leaves as a UFA and we get nothing for him -- we are going for the cup this year. Briere is a huge part of that effort.

It's going to cost $5 million-plus to keep him -- I'm guessing about $1.25 million more per year than it will cost to keep Drury. It's hard to see keeping them both, but I'm not giving up hope yet. Frankly, I don't want to dwell on it until the offseason. But there is no way Darcy is shipping either of them out in the middle of our best shot at a cup in a generation.

For that matter I don't see us trading any veteran skater just to make room for Paille and Stafford. They are both good and will represent good injury backups all year. No doubt one or both will make the big club next year with slots created by offseason turnover -- but all in good time. This year is for the shiny thing.

For that matter I don't see us trading any veteran skater just to make room for Paille and Stafford. They are both good and will represent good injury backups all year. No doubt one or both will make the big club next year with slots created by offseason turnover -- but all in good time. This year is for the shiny thing.

I'd like for us to not trade anyone, but unfortunately as the injuries pile on the more cap space we lose and If it keeps up and Tim comes back, A move will have to be made. I see Kotalik as the most likely candidate as he'd give 2 mil in relief maybe even return a cheaper rent a player. I think a possible move will be Sending peters to Rochester. He gets put on waivers, but really who is going to snap up a goon. I would be more cautious if he gave any offensive output, but since he hasn't done squat. I think he could slip up and down with no problems.

DeLuca and APus -- how can you call him "B-Rod" after he took over yet another tight game against a good team and made a huge contribution to us getting the win? A-Rod is one of the biggest choke artists in modern sports history. Briere is a great clutch player.

Now I know your not new to this board so I don't understand this. I only refer to Briere as "B-Rod" when speaking to Deluca because I know how much he loves having Briere making more then pocket lint to play on this team. I think Briere is the most important piece on this team (well one slight notch above Miller) I'm still pissed they took Briere to arbitration instead of signing him long term. There is no comparing him to A-rod, he doesn't even make a salary that would put him in the top 25 of salary in the league

DeLuca -- I assume you're not seriously suggesting that the Sabres would entertain trading Briere. There is zero possibility of this happening. Even though the risk is substantial that he leaves as a UFA and we get nothing for him -- we are going for the cup this year. Briere is a huge part of that effort.

It's going to cost $5 million-plus to keep him -- I'm guessing about $1.25 million more per year than it will cost to keep Drury. It's hard to see keeping them both, but I'm not giving up hope yet. Frankly, I don't want to dwell on it until the offseason. But there is no way Darcy is shipping either of them out in the middle of our best shot at a cup in a generation.

You might want to take a closer look at A-Rods stats before you call him a "choke artist". Before the Red Sox came back from 0-3 in the playoffs he was hitting like .370 in his playoff career.

B-Rod will stick until he proves, for a full season, he is worth that kind of money. He's off to a great start. But he has 60 more games to play. let's see if his numbers hold and if he can stay healthy.

Anyway,

I didn't mention trade. I simply mentioned that the Sabres have a interesting problem on their hands. B-Rod will be looking for more money. Drury will need a contract. And the salary cap may be lowered. Without turning this into a Drury vs. Briere debate. It looks like a decision will have to be made. Either way? Some fans will not be happy.

Now I know your not new to this board so I don't understand this. I only refer to Briere as "B-Rod" when speaking to Deluca because I know how much he loves having Briere making more then pocket lint to play on this team. I think Briere is the most important piece on this team (well one slight notch above Miller) I'm still pissed they took Briere to arbitration instead of signing him long term. There is no comparing him to A-rod, he doesn't even make a salary that would put him in the top 25 of salary in the league

Even though they had a better record in 2005 when he was out of the lineup then when he was in?

I think the members of 'Max Nation' could also make an arguement. Not to mention the Connolly fans. Tim was by far the best forward in the playoffs before he got hurt.

And they didn't "take Briere to arbitration". That was Briere's choice. I'm sure the Sabres were offering more than "pocket lint". Every other player, except for Dumont, signed. I think that says something. Others players like Max could have went to arbitration in an attempt to break the bank. He chose not to. There is something to be said for that.

OK, I withdraw the accusation. I didn't realize you were using it to get a rise out of DeLuca. That nickname just gets my goat.

As for whether we took him to arbitration vs. whether he took us -- none of us knows what the Sabres were offering and what Briere was asking for -- so there is no way to know whether he was being greedy or whether we were being cheap.

DeLuca -- I agree that it's likely there will be a tough decision to make on Briere and Drury. I thought you were implying that they should unload Briere while they can still get something for him. My mistake.

As far as whether A-Rod is in fact a choker -- check this out: http://www.baseballevolution.com/richard/arodchoke.html

I take Hecht over Kotalik any day of the week. Hecht is not going to score as many goals, but he is great on the PK, better overall defensively & quicker than Kotalik. Also, Kotalik's value to the team goes down when he is not on the PP as much.

Salary cap will go up next year. Who knows, Biron gone, perhaps the retirement of one Tim Connolly, maybe they keep both.

What if they win it all? Maybe these guys look around and decide they want to stay where they are having fun. If you have a good team, good surroundings, it may be worth it to stay. I know for me, playing soccer, I don't get paid of course, but I stay loyal to my team because I like my team-mates.

How many guys have left a good team for an "up and coming" team, only to be disappointed, lost and forgotten in time? Perhaps these guys are wise enough to know the surrounding team makes them more valuable. Guys like Glenn Anderson on the 80's Oilers would have been nobodies on any other team. Put Chris Drury on the likes of a Florida or Los Angeles or Chicago and he disappears into the mist. The Sabres succeed because opponents can't key on any one line, and if they do, the other line burns them.

Run like Jay McKee. Sorry to say it Jay, but we may never hear from you again. You were a somebody on the best team in the league. You're a nobody in St.Loo. And even if you are a somebody to the St.Louis team-mates, nobody outside that locker-room even knows your team exists.

I'd like for us to not trade anyone, but unfortunately as the injuries pile on the more cap space we lose and If it keeps up and Tim comes back, A move will have to be made. I see Kotalik as the most likely candidate as he'd give 2 mil in relief maybe even return a cheaper rent a player. I think a possible move will be Sending peters to Rochester. He gets put on waivers, but really who is going to snap up a goon. I would be more cautious if he gave any offensive output, but since he hasn't done squat. I think he could slip up and down with no problems.

I've seen this written here several times. WHY does a move have to be made? I'm not saying one won't, I simply don't see why one MUST occur.

Archived