The 'Official' Daniel Paille Must Stay Thread

bob_sauve28

I think you do send stafford back ... not that he has not played well, but he is a skill guy who can benefit from going down and playing in all situations ... that's what he will be once he is up for good. He's not going to see any special teams time up in Buffalo.

I agree Kotalik and Novotny have struggled but they played well tonight. When Kotalik is backchecking to the point of saving goals at the edge of the crease, someone got a message through.

paille is a MAJOR upgrade over peters... you've gotta find a way to keep him up when roy gets back. maybe sit kotalik or novotny for a game and remind them of some things... Do you send stafford back and keep paille in his place? who knows at this point.

I'm not all that impressed with stafford. He looks like he needs more seaoning in Rochester, but Paille is diffently a better player, at least from what I saw tonight

Solid player. He plays hard, he is a 100% Regier-type player. He always plays well for us, i believe he got a goal in his first ever NHL game vs. Florida. The kid is fast and hits. I think his defensive play needs to improve but i think it's time for him to stay in Buffalo. The 4th line looks like a very solid line, with a guy with speed and who knows what to do with the puck. If they send Paille down, it'd be a massive mistake.

They need to deal Kotalik, i know this isn't the right thread, but we need the money and Paille and/or Stafford are better players and fit our system better. Sorry Kotalik, you're the weakest link of the leagues best club.... good bye!

They need to deal Kotalik, i know this isn't the right thread, but we need the money and Paille and/or Stafford are better players and fit our system better. Sorry Kotalik, you're the weakest link of the leagues best club.... good bye!

Well, in the salary cap NHL, that is the problem, you can't always have the best players and sometimes decent players must be dealt so others can play.

The only way some of these younger players are going to make the team is if someone is dealt to make room. The Sabres have a big problem with this years team, they are too close to the cap, with too many good players not on the team full time

Kotalik is a good player. Why in the world would we trade him? Just to make room on the roster for Paille or Stafford? Respectfully, this is insane. We are trying to win a cup THIS YEAR. We have a real shot at it. There is no way we are dealing one of our top 9 forwards (who is also a core member of the PP) just to make room for a promising but inexperienced player. Neither Paille nor Stafford would contribute this year what Kotalik will.

Now, I like both Paille and Stafford. Drury's line has looked better in the past couple of games since Stafford took Novotny's spot. And Paille certainly looked good last night (although you can't really judge based on one blowout win). I expect one of them to stay up even after Roy comes back, because I think Lindy's decided that Peters is going back to healthy scratch status for a substantial portion of the schedule. It will be fun to watch Stafford and Paille battle for that spot over the next 10 days or so while Roy is out.

Even so, we're not going to start making changes to the roster just to accommodate Paille and Stafford while we're in the middle of our best shot at the cup in a long time.

Just my opinion.

Well, in the salary cap NHL, that is the problem, you can't always have the best players and sometimes decent players must be dealt so others can play.

The only way some of these younger players are going to make the team is if someone is dealt to make room. The Sabres have a big problem with this years team, they are too close to the cap, with too many good players not on the team full time

Did you miss the point where i said good bye to Kotalik ??

Kotalik is a good player. Why in the world would we trade him? Just to make room on the roster for Paille or Stafford? Respectfully, this is insane. We are trying to win a cup THIS YEAR. We have a real shot at it. There is no way we are dealing one of our top 9 forwards (who is also a core member of the PP) just to make room for a promising but inexperienced player. Neither Paille nor Stafford would contribute this year what Kotalik will.

Now, I like both Paille and Stafford. Drury's line has looked better in the past couple of games since Stafford took Novotny's spot. And Paille certainly looked good last night (although you can't really judge based on one blowout win). I expect one of them to stay up even after Roy comes back, because I think Lindy's decided that Peters is going back to healthy scratch status for a substantial portion of the schedule. It will be fun to watch Stafford and Paille battle for that spot over the next 10 days or so while Roy is out.

Even so, we're not going to start making changes to the roster just to accommodate Paille and Stafford while we're in the middle of our best shot at the cup in a long time.

Just my opinion.

In a perfect world you are right, but because of the cap they probably can't keep Paille up all season to play on that fourth line ... so if the options are Paille on the 4th line and Stafford on Drury's line OR Kotalik with Drury and Peters on the 4th line ... well ... not so clear cut, I don't think. I think I might prefer having 12 guys who can play a regular shift.

In a perfect world you are right, but because of the cap they probably can't keep Paille up all season to play on that fourth line ... so if the options are Paille on the 4th line and Stafford on Drury's line OR Kotalik with Drury and Peters on the 4th line ... well ... not so clear cut, I don't think. I think I might prefer having 12 guys who can play a regular shift.

I agree. Dealing Kotalik, and let?s not kid ourselves, the guy only has 6 goals, one as empty netter, he has played lazy more times then not this season. And I love Kotalik as well, but we need to realize what he is doing, Stafford and Paille would do as good if not better, because if no trades are made then I don?t think we can keep either guy up once Derek Roy returns.

Keep Kotalik means less chance of even having Tim Connolly a chance to play if he returns. And finally, we need to add depth to our team. Injury bug can hit us and kill us in the post-season.

Out of all the players on the roster, Kotalik makes most sense, the least we care about but also still plays hard so has solid value.

All this is assuming they can get anything of value for Kotalik ... and if they do, how does THAT fitin, cap-wise? It's not so easy as just saying "trade Kotalik" ... takes two to tango, and will the same people who want him traded complain if they get an unknown prospect and a draft pick for him ...

I'm pretty sure Roy being out has nothing to do with the cap -- ie there is no cap relief just because he's out that goes away when he comes back. As for how much room we have now -- I could be mistaken, but I think we have enough room to keep Paille or Stafford, but not both, and still be able to bring back Connolly if/when he's ready. When Roy comes back, one will go down and the other will alternate healthy scratch status with Peters.

I completely disagree with the proposition that Paille or Stafford would give us this year what Kotalik will. Next year -- who knows? But Kotalik is a good, physical player with a ton of experience in the NHL and in our system, while the other 2 are completely green and unproven. Remember Vanek last year in the playoffs?

Again, we need to do what gives us the best chance at the cup this year.

Well I wasn't suggesting either one individually would equal Kotalik, and your point about the playoffs is a good one. I was just saying that if that is what it takes to get Peters out of the lineup, it might be worth it. Again, they can't just give Kotalik away, either, it's even more complicated that just this part. I don't think they make any moves unless it is an offer too good to refuse or there are more injuries.

Paille must stay. That rhymes so it has to be true.

Anyway, I love the fact that we can call up a guy from Rochester and then immediately use him on the PK. I wonder how many teams have that luxuary. Also, last night I was starving for hockey so I watched the replay of the Bruins game at midnight (damn the NHL for not scheduling any west coast games). I was joking around with my friend saying that Paille is stashed away in Rochester, yet he'd be a 2nd liner with the Bruins. It's funny 'cuz it's true.

I'll agree with the sentiment re: moving Ales the K.

He's a serviceable top 9 forward with a terrific shot from the point (when he can get a lane). He disappears at times, doesn't always work as hard as he needs to. Losing Kotalik on the PP, to me, would be far from fatal. I'm not a huge fan of him there. He's not great carrying the puck, gaining the line. He has only average/above-average vision on the ice in terms of making a good pass (on the PP or otherwise). His shot is lead-heavy, but how often does he get it off and through? You can put Spacek, Soupy, etc. back there and not lose too much (you'd lose something perhaps, but this is a cost/benefit analysis).

Again, though, the critical factor here is cap space. Moving Ales moves a cool ~2 mill (prorated and less the salary assumed).

I like Paille's game a lot, especially for a team that needs a consistent physical presence, or, at least, to play "team tough." Plus, I'm holding out hope for Timmy to return.

Finally, I note that, according to MSG production staff, Kotalik's favorite musical artist is 50-Cent.

I'll agree with the sentiment re: moving Ales the K.

He's a serviceable top 9 forward with a terrific shot from the point (when he can get a lane). He disappears at times, doesn't always work as hard as he needs to. Losing Kotalik on the PP, to me, would be far from fatal. I'm not a huge fan of him there. He's not great carrying the puck, gaining the line. He has only average/above-average vision on the ice in terms of making a good pass (on the PP or otherwise). His shot is lead-heavy, but how often does he get it off and through? You can put Spacek, Soupy, etc. back there and not lose too much (you'd lose something perhaps, but this is a cost/benefit analysis).

Again, though, the critical factor here is cap space. Moving Ales moves a cool ~2 mill (prorated and less the salary assumed).

I like Paille's game a lot, especially for a team that needs a consistent physical presence, or, at least, to play "team tough." Plus, I'm holding out hope for Timmy to return.

Finally, I note that, according to MSG production staff, Kotalik's favorite musical artist is 50-Cent.

So you are advocating what, exactly? If you want to unload Kotalik for cap space, I assume that means we would just get draft picks in return, and have Paille and Stafford stay up with the big club. Do you think that would represent a net improvement to our chances of winning the cup THIS YEAR? If yes, I completely disagree.

If you are saying we should use the cap space to pick up a rent-a-player at the deadline, which would help put us in better position to win the cup this year -- OK. But who are we going to get that is better than Kotalik? remember that whoever we would pick up has to be making the same or less than Kotalik ($2.33 million cap number) for it to work under the cap -- so it's not like we could just add Forsberg in Kotalik's salary slot. And any rent-a-player at forward would displace Stafford or Paille.

I suppose it's possible that there is a good defenseman out there that we could pick up at the deadline who makes about what Kotalik makes. But we are getting Tallinder and Lydman back in the next few weeks, and once that happens there are no open slots in our top 6. So this would mean trading one of our top 9 forwards for a defenseman who would stay on the shelf unless and until someone got hurt. Frankly I don't think we're going to find one who is better than Paetsch and who would be available to us at Kotalik's cap number.

Bottom line: based on our experience with this organ-eye-zation, I think there is no way we are trading away one of our regulars (including Marty, Kotalik or anyone else) unless someone makes an unbelievable offer, which is highly unlikely.

Archived