A few of my favorite quotes from Canes fans on their message board...

matter2003

Cool Hand Luke said:

"This may make me a bad fan but in my opinion Buffalo skated circles around us for most of the game. Yes, we made a valiant comeback in the 2nd, but as soon as they needed another goal..poof, they got one. We were struggling to keep up with them all night, and most times couldn't as they were getting breakaway after breakaway. Their powerplay looks like a thing of beauty where we are lucky to get the puck across the blue line let alone get a decent shot off. How they get so many skaters wide open with nobody near them for open shots is beyond me. And showing pics of the Stanley Cup banner on the jumbotron doesn't do anything for me after a night like tonight. That was then, and this is now...and they kicked our sorry .

The Sabres are one good hockey team. I guess they are not 10-0 on the road for nothing."

StaalGurl4ever said:

"I know it may be early but I can't take it anymore. It's because Buffalo is just too fast."

SouthernHockeyChick said:

"Here's my fear: what if we didn't play better in the second....but they just took their foot off the gas? Scary thought, IMO."

SoCalcaniac said:

"I hate that we can't sell out our building. I don't CARE if it's a weeknight, I don't care if the Panthers are playing. I despise it."

"I hate that we can't sell out our building. I don't CARE if it's a weeknight, I don't care if the Panthers are playing. I despise it."

Sell out? The place was half empty. It wasn't even close. There were plenty in blue and gold though. It was great to hear "Let's go Buffalo" in the halls of the RBC center on the way out. Buffalo fans everywhere...

Sell out? The place was half empty. It wasn't even close. There were plenty in blue and gold though. It was great to hear "Let's go Buffalo" in the halls of the RBC center on the way out. Buffalo fans everywhere...

That's awesome. I caught most of the 1st period on the radio, and after the 2nd and 3rd Buffalo goals it almost sounded like a home game, with a busted fog horn. I'm also thankful that we won't have to listen to them do the Rick Flair WOOOO song unless we play the Canes in the spring (our only other meeting this year with them is December at HSBC)

That's awesome. I caught most of the 1st period on the radio, and after the 2nd and 3rd Buffalo goals it almost sounded like a home game, with a busted fog horn. I'm also thankful that we won't have to listen to them do the Rick Flair WOOOO song unless we play the Canes in the spring (our only other meeting this year with them is December at HSBC)

I agree - I listened to the entire game on the radio. A couple of times I was busy with something else and "concerned" when I heard the score and loud cheer. It sounded like the home team scoring in the first period.

EBall this was CLASSIC:

Are you kidding me?

Not trying to hide here -- I'm a native Buffalonian and came over here to read what was being said about the game. Let's get a few things straight:

1 -- Congrats on your Cup. We have a sour taste in our mouths because the Sabres that lost Game 7 to the Canes last year was a shadow of the team that cruised through the first two rounds of the playoffs. Does that mean we're "sore losers?" I think not. We just know how close we came, and it hurts.

2 -- Buffalo fans have been supporting the Sabres for THIRTY-SIX YEARS. It is a crying shame that organizations like Tampa Bay and Carolina have won Cups before the Sabres. Our fans "deserve" this team like no other. I still remember your first Cup run several years ago and -- during the playoffs -- seeing a "primer" in the paper explaining what a blue line is. Talk to me about fans who "deserve" a successful hockey franchise. The city of Buffalo doesn't have much going for it, and the hard-working, blue collar folks who live or grew up there have always clung to their two sports teams. Buffalo fans are some of the most loyal (and knowledgeable) fans of hockey and football around. Your statement reeks of ignorance.

3 -- Your crowd was pathetic. This is a rematch of the best playoff series from last year, your team has just won two in a row and seems to be getting on a roll, and you complain that the game is on Monday night? Please. I truly enjoyed sitting in my prime seats last night and hearing the "Let's Go, Buffalo" chant -- even the RBC's piped in crowd noise couldn't contain it.

I know you'll all start insulting me now, but I could not keep quiet after reading the comment above. I love hockey, and my Sabres, and the way I was treated during the ECF last year (without provocation) in your arena soured me on the Canes and their fans for good.

(Oh, and by the way, the Sabres played last night without two of their top defensemen, one of their best forwards, and their starting goaltender -- and still put 6 past your keeper and won rather easily.)

Cheers.

Caniacs are a fraud. 10 years in that city, and that franchise has made it past the 'oddity' phase. Their fan base are housemoms who are looking for some wholesome entertainment for their toddlers.

It's time to face facts and realize that the way to revenue growth in the NHL does not lie with these "new" markets. The NHL would be better off with a successful franchise in Boston or Chicago. So my proposal is this, swap the team in Nashville with the team in Boston, and the team in Carolina with the team in Chicago. Give those dormant markets a reason to return to hockey.

Do that, and revenues and TV viewership are guaranteed to rise, and as a result the salary cap will go up, and the Sabres will be able to easily resign Drury and Briere. :beer:

Caniacs are a fraud. 10 years in that city, and that franchise has made it past the 'oddity' phase. Their fan base are housemoms who are looking for some wholesome entertainment for their toddlers.

It's time to face facts and realize that the way to revenue growth in the NHL does not lie with these "new" markets. The NHL would be better off with a successful franchise in Boston or Chicago. So my proposal is this, swap the team in Nashville with the team in Boston, and the team in Carolina with the team in Chicago. Give those dormant markets a reason to return to hockey.

Do that, and revenues and TV viewership are guaranteed to rise, and as a result the salary cap will go up, and the Sabres will be able to easily resign Drury and Briere. :beer:

Instead of swaping teams, why not just let them get an ownership and management that wil produce a winner. They aren't losing just because there is a team in Boston and Nashville, they are losing because they aren't putting a competitive team on the ice. And its not that they can't afford too, the just haven't been able too, or don't have the people in place to make them competitive.

If there is support for the team, its not far to just move them somewhere or say they can't be good just because they aren't perceived as a "Hockey town". The same could have been done with Buffalo during the Bankrupcy years when they weren't packing the arena for a mediocre team. Buffalo fans should be the most sympathetic when it comes to moving other teams or low attendance considering it hasn't been that long since we were in the same boat. Just because it snows in Buffalo and its close to the Canadian Border, doesn't mean its a hockey town. Buffalo has almost always supported the Bills first, Sabres second, even with the Bills being a mediocre/horrible team for a long time.

Instead of swaping teams, why not just let them get an ownership and management that wil produce a winner. They aren't losing just because there is a team in Boston and Nashville, they are losing because they aren't putting a competitive team on the ice. And its not that they can't afford too, the just haven't been able too, or don't have the people in place to make them competitive.

If there is support for the team, its not far to just move them somewhere or say they can't be good just because they aren't perceived as a "Hockey town". The same could have been done with Buffalo during the Bankrupcy years when they weren't packing the arena for a mediocre team. Buffalo fans should be the most sympathetic when it comes to moving other teams or low attendance considering it hasn't been that long since we were in the same boat. Just because it snows in Buffalo and its close to the Canadian Border, doesn't mean its a hockey town. Buffalo has almost always supported the Bills first, Sabres second, even with the Bills being a mediocre/horrible team for a long time.

I totally disagree with you on this one Apus. Granted, it's before your time, but in the '70's you could not get a ticket to a Sabres game and Rich Stadium almost never sold out. (I realize it had a capacity over 80,000 back then, but if the Bills were truly king people would have sold it out.)

If you DID get a ticket to see the Sabres it was a HUGE deal. You not only had all the seats sold, but you had several hundred people standing behind the oranges and behind the blues where the players came out of the tunnels for every game. You literally had people getting cable because a handful of games were shown there. (I have no idea how many because cable didn't make it to my parents' neighborhood for about another 10 years.)

Buffalo WAS a big hockey town in the past (even going back to the Bisons days, which is before my time), and since Golisano has taken over, it seems to be back on its way to being a hockey town again. Actually, its always been a hockey town. There are rinks all over the area and you can find 100's, if not 1,000's, of people playing on any given night.

EBall this was CLASSIC:

Are you kidding me?

Not trying to hide here -- I'm a native Buffalonian and came over here to read what was being said about the game. Let's get a few things straight:

1 -- Congrats on your Cup. We have a sour taste in our mouths because the Sabres that lost Game 7 to the Canes last year was a shadow of the team that cruised through the first two rounds of the playoffs. Does that mean we're "sore losers?" I think not. We just know how close we came, and it hurts.

2 -- Buffalo fans have been supporting the Sabres for THIRTY-SIX YEARS. It is a crying shame that organizations like Tampa Bay and Carolina have won Cups before the Sabres. Our fans "deserve" this team like no other. I still remember your first Cup run several years ago and -- during the playoffs -- seeing a "primer" in the paper explaining what a blue line is. Talk to me about fans who "deserve" a successful hockey franchise. The city of Buffalo doesn't have much going for it, and the hard-working, blue collar folks who live or grew up there have always clung to their two sports teams. Buffalo fans are some of the most loyal (and knowledgeable) fans of hockey and football around. Your statement reeks of ignorance.

3 -- Your crowd was pathetic. This is a rematch of the best playoff series from last year, your team has just won two in a row and seems to be getting on a roll, and you complain that the game is on Monday night? Please. I truly enjoyed sitting in my prime seats last night and hearing the "Let's Go, Buffalo" chant -- even the RBC's piped in crowd noise couldn't contain it.

I know you'll all start insulting me now, but I could not keep quiet after reading the comment above. I love hockey, and my Sabres, and the way I was treated during the ECF last year (without provocation) in your arena soured me on the Canes and their fans for good.

(Oh, and by the way, the Sabres played last night without two of their top defensemen, one of their best forwards, and their starting goaltender -- and still put 6 past your keeper and won rather easily.)

Cheers.

Thanks. And that post is what got me banned. How pathetic can you get?

That was my point about the Bruins and 'Hawks. Both are pretty good hockey markets that were worn down by idiotic management. Put an organization like Carolina's or Nashville's in Boston or Chicago, and the League's revenues will explode.

Somehow, despite fan apathy, the front offices in Nashville and Carolina have built very strong teams. Right now, the league needs to match strong teams to strong markets, hence my 'modest' proposal.

Completely disagree with you on Buffalo not being a hockey town. Dave's right on the money about the Sabres in the 1970s. There wasn't a hotter ticket around. I would add to Dave's comments that the Bills were a lousy draw in the 70s and 80s, and most Bills fans despised Ralph Wilson. I was at the game in '86 when he was booed by 40,000 fans during a half-time ceremony for Pat McGroeder. The Knoxes on the other hand were revered in Buffalo.

And don't make the same mistake so many do in attributing the bankruptcy to poor attendance. All the way up until 2001 the Sabres were among the top draws in the NHL (ranked 9th, 95.5% capacity). Then the sell-off of Hasek and Peca, the legal troubles of the Rigases, the rumor of the team moving, the fiasco of the Hammister bid, and Gary 'freakin' Bettman taking over the team soured the fans on the Sabres.

All that Buffalo fans ask for is a team that competes. There were major questions about the Sabres willingness to compete all the way up until last season's opener. Once it became clear that the Regier and Ruff had the team moving in the right direction, the fans returned. Just like the fans would in Boston and Chicago if either of their teams showed a sign of life.

That was my point about the Bruins and 'Hawks. Both are pretty good hockey markets that were worn down by idiotic management. Put an organization like Carolina's or Nashville's in Boston or Chicago, and the League's revenues will explode.

Somehow, despite fan apathy, the front offices in Nashville and Carolina have built very strong teams. Right now, the league needs to match strong teams to strong markets, hence my 'modest' proposal.

Completely disagree with you on Buffalo not being a hockey town. Dave's right on the money about the Sabres in the 1970s. There wasn't a hotter ticket around. I would add to Dave's comments that the Bills were a lousy draw in the 70s and 80s, and most Bills fans despised Ralph Wilson. I was at the game in '86 when he was booed by 40,000 fans during a half-time ceremony for Pat McGroeder. The Knoxes on the other hand were revered in Buffalo.

And don't make the same mistake so many do in attributing the bankruptcy to poor attendance. All the way up until 2001 the Sabres were among the top draws in the NHL (ranked 9th, 95.5% capacity). Then the sell-off of Hasek and Peca, the legal troubles of the Rigases, the rumor of the team moving, the fiasco of the Hammister bid, and Gary 'freakin' Bettman taking over the team soured the fans on the Sabres.

All that Buffalo fans ask for is a team that competes. There were major questions about the Sabres willingness to compete all the way up until last season's opener. Once it became clear that the Regier and Ruff had the team moving in the right direction, the fans returned. Just like the fans would in Boston and Chicago if either of their teams showed a sign of life.

Great post. I remeber the 70s, it was very difficult to get a ticket at the old Aud. Buffalo has always been a hockey town, just look at the all of the good youth programs and now high schools even have hockey. We should have known the Rigas was no good when they ran off Pecca. Other than that brief, bleak period the Sabres have always had strong support in the community.

eball, great job getting the self-righteous, holier-than-thou Canes' "fans" all riled up. It's really too bad that those 6 "passionate" (read: whining and crying) fans make up about 15% of their fan base...

Like someone mentioned in another thread, 15, 20 years from now all these horrified Canes fans will be telling their kids & grandkids about how the big bad Sabres fans kicked down the doors to their building and tried to burn the place down, how we tried to climb over the concession stand counters and serve ourselves, and how we tried to storm the Canes locker room, but the brave Caniacs fought us off... :rolleyes:

eball, great job getting the self-righteous, holier-than-thou Canes' "fans" all riled up. It's really too bad that those 6 "passionate" (read: whining and crying) fans make up about 15% of their fan base...

Like someone mentioned in another thread, 15, 20 years from now all these horrified Canes fans will be telling their kids & grandkids about how the big bad Sabres fans kicked down the doors to their building and tried to burn the place down, how we tried to climb over the concession stand counters and serve ourselves, and how we tried to storm the Canes locker room, but the brave Caniacs fought us off... :rolleyes:

Flyers fans, Canes fans.... Potato, potato.

Great post. I remeber the 70s, it was very difficult to get a ticket at the old Aud. Buffalo has always been a hockey town, just look at the all of the good youth programs and now high schools even have hockey. We should have known the Rigas was no good when they ran off Pecca. Other than that brief, bleak period the Sabres have always had strong support in the community.

I agree with all of this. I just remember being a kid in the late 70's, being up in the orange section and having the crowd start stand up and roar whenever the Sabres even approached the blue line of the other team. I can't tell you actual games, just the whole experience. I remember it being packed each and every game I attended (but that might be because everything looked so big back then to a little kid).

From a historical perspective, it seems to fluctuate between Sabres, then Bills, now Sabres again). Sabres tix are the hottest in town and have been since mid season last year. It's just a better entertainment experience, IMO- but I've always been partial to hockey. I just thank God a few times a month that Tom G. stepped in and saved the franchise from moving.

Are these the same big bad Sabres fans that walk into the arena carrying a keg over each shoulder? They're 15 feet tall, I hear.

Could someone please tell us the story of the Big Bad Sabres fans being slain by the Glorius Cnaiacs again, I'll get everyone a glass of Turnip juice

MaryBeth Wilder had a voluptuous figure that any movie star would have gladly paid top money for, a tanned and flawless complexion, and eyes as deep and as black as fryin pans. Wearing her daisy dukes she set out for the new novelty in town, the Ice Hockey Game Capades, but little did she know

what she would find when she passed through lot 6 on that tragic and fateful day.....

(Apu, pass me a glass of that taproot, kids gather round the fire)

MaryBeth Wilder had a voluptuous figure that any movie star would have gladly paid top money for, a tanned and flawless complexion, and eyes as deep and as black as fryin pans. Wearing her daisy dukes she set out for the new novelty in town, the Ice Hockey Game Capades, but little did she know

what she would find when she passed through lot 6 on that tragic and fateful day.....

(Apu, pass me a glass of that taproot, kids gather round the fire)

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Archived