GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Caught that later, thanks.

As for Teppo, doesn't he now hold the record for most games played ever in the NHL by a European player?

Not sure what the disticntion is, but they say European "trained" player

My quick thoughts:

* Overall, it seems this team plays to the level of their opponents. Could bite them in the ass later in the season, but right now they are still able to rack up some W's...

* Can't really blame Marty for any of the first three goals, but that last goal by Brind'Amour is the reason I hope Ryan isn't out for a long stretch. Seems like Marty gives up at least one goal like that, a shot from in close that has no business getting past him, yet still does...

* Was it just me, or did anyone else have that ECF sinking feeling start flaring up in the second period? When they came back to tie it, I thought it was May/June all over again, and we were going to blow another lead to the stinking Canes. Thank God this team has figured out how to finish...

* Chris Drury - with the way his luck has gone the last few games, no one would have thought twice if he would have tried to force a shot at the EN, but he still passed it off to Hecht, and made sure the team got the insurance goal to knock the Canes out. As if anyone needed any more evidence that Drury is a truly unselfish player and a true team leader...

* Erik Cole - what a frigging joke. Everyone felt bad for you after Brooks Orpik broke your neck last year, Erik - now it looks like you are just as big an a$$hole as anyone in the league, short of Darcy Tucker...

* Finally - no B.S., no hyperbole here - this may have been the worst officiated game I have seen since the lockout ended. Guys going down all over the ice, getting run, roughed up, interfered with - but as soon as someone's stick goes horizontal all the whistles come out. Plus, how the hell can there be four officials on the ice and they miss a high sticking call?

My quick thoughts:

* Chris Drury - with the way his luck has gone the last few games, no one would have thought twice if he would have tried to force a shot at the EN, but he still passed it off to Hecht, and made sure the team got the insurance goal to knock the Canes out. As if anyone needed any more evidence that Drury is a truly unselfish player and a true team leader...

* Erik Cole - what a frigging joke. Everyone felt bad for you after Brooks Orpik broke your neck last year, Erik - now it looks like you are just as big an a$$hole as anyone in the league, short of Darcy Tucker...

* Finally - no B.S., no hyperbole here - this may have been the worst officiated game I have seen since the lockout ended. Guys going down all over the ice, getting run, roughed up, interfered with - but as soon as someone's stick goes horizontal all the whistles come out. Plus, how the hell can there be four officials on the ice and they miss a high sticking call?

well put, cole is a complete a$$hole...i'd have a hard time cheering for the way he played tonight even if he were on my team.

I said the same thing.. What a team player..

Who is injured for the Hericanes? Their starting goalie? One of the top goal scorers? A top defenseman? Losers.

Forgot to add another top defenseman (Tallinder, along with Lydman) and another top goal scorer (Connolly, along with Max). Them along with any other player of your choosing would be the best line in the NHL!

At this point last season, we were at the low point of the season. 8-9. Now we're 15-1-1. If we play the rest of the season the way we did last year, we'll finish with 59-16-7 with 125 points. And that's with low points such as losing 5 of 8 to start Jan 06 and losing 8 of 9 near the end of last season.

Nice going Cole you %////#&, who broke your neck last year? I'd like to shake his hand right now!

That hit hasn't been discussed enough, IMO. That was as disgusting as Orpik on Cole, and even more so, considering Cole's views last year on hits like that.

I heard on WGR earlier that the reason for the distinction is because a player (cannot remember the name) born in Europe and moved to Canada at age eight has more games.

Stan Mikita. (Oops, Niagara beat me to it.)

I hope we *** play them in the playoffs this year just to pound their *** faces. :angry:

The Sabres won't play the NASCanes in the playoffs because the 'Canes won't make it. Unless Jeff Gordon learns to skate or something.

What's with that horn? I didn't think that stuff was allowed during game play?

The horn is coming from a big black guy (Canes employee I'm assuming) who stands by the Canes cheerleaders in one corner of the rink. He has been there every time I have gone to a game and I was right next to him tonight. It's really irritating. Was it also noticeable on TV how the sound guy kept the music playing into the game action a few times? Absolutely bush league all around.

The horn is coming from a big black guy (Canes employee I'm assuming) who stands by the Canes cheerleaders in one corner of the rink. He has been there every time I have gone to a game and I was right next to him tonight. It's really irritating. Was it also noticeable on TV how the sound guy kept the music playing into the game action a few times? Absolutely bush league all around.

He does that all of the time during play. Opening night I noticed that.

Some good work in the home end. Looks like the Sabres are skating well.

Just can't figure out why a Canadian Brewer would need to withstand Prohibition.

"In 1915 Prohibition began in Canada when public bars were banned in Saskatchewan. A year later prohibition was instituted in Ontario as well, affecting all 64 breweries in the province. Although some provinces totally banned alcohol manufacture, some permitted production for export to the United States. Labatt survived by producing full strength beer for export south of the border and by introducing two "temperance ales" with less than two per cent alcohol for sale in Ontario. However, the Canadian beer industry suffered a second blow when Prohibition began in the U.S. in 1919. When Prohibition was repealed in Ontario in 1926, just 15 breweries remained and only Labatt retained its original management. This resulted in a strengthened industry position."

Labatt Brewing Company, Wikipedia Entry

I had been curious about this before as well as the kidnapping claim, so I looked it up about a month ago.

Well, that was another outstanding Buffalo-Carolina game. We earned the win, but we were also a little fortunate with 2 strange goals in the 3rd (Mair's and Roy's). A few other thoughts:

1. Just a great, blood-and-guts effort by the whole team. Carolina played hard, fast and very physical. We got back on our heels in the 2nd, but regrouped and came back strong in the 3rd.

2. Playing 10 forwards and 4.5 defensemen (Stafford, Card and Peters were all nailed to the bench, and Paetsch only played 11 minutes) in front of a shaky goalie (yes I'm still down on Marty), and a GD all-star team out with injuries, we still beat the defending cup champions on the road. Carolina only had one regulation loss in in their last 7 games. I'm sure they wanted some payback after losing to us twice already this year -- but we didn't let it happen tonight. I don't think we're going to need any extra motivation to beat those CSs all year.

3. Erik Cole is an effing punk.

4. Aside from Cole, I thought we were out-hit in the 2nd and 3rd periods, both in terms of clean hits and cheap shots. I was a little disappointed/concerned that we didn't respond.

5. If Miller's not back on Wed., I'm ready for Adam Dennis to get a start.

6. Brian Campbell: 27 minutes of ice time. He's a rock! (Remember that great thread last spring after he creamed Umberger?) I can't believe that this time last year I was ready to dump him. Good thing Darcy doesn't take my calls.

7. Teppo Numminen: 23 minutes of ice time, 3 assists, +3. I see no reason in the world to assume he's going to retire after this year.

8. Vanek and Pominville are both on pace to score 53 goals.

9. Ottawa got shelled 6-3 tonight and is coming into Buffalo on Wed. having lost 7 out of 8. This really might be an opportunity to get a 2nd coach/GM team canned.

This team is amazing.

Claude, I'm glad you mentioned this. After a face off in the 3rd period (I think it was after Carolina's 3rd or 4th goal) they kept the loudspeaker music playing (while the Sabres had clear posession) for at least 30 seconds after the start of play. Bush league is the perfect way to describe it. It was as if I was watching an NBA game.