Buccigross on the new logo

fushetti

The Buffalo Sabres' new logo is Barney Rubble's hair. Actually, it's Barney Rubble with slight bed head. The Sabres' road whites look like Flintstone Adult Pajamas that you would buy at Wal-Mart. Maybe these things will get better with repetition, like Guster's latest CD, "Ganging Up On The Sun," but I'm thinking the uniforms might be more like an MC Hammer CD and get worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...john&id=2618278

The Buffalo Sabres' new logo is Barney Rubble's hair. Actually, it's Barney Rubble with slight bed head. The Sabres' road whites look like Flintstone Adult Pajamas that you would buy at Wal-Mart. Maybe these things will get better with repetition, like Guster's latest CD, "Ganging Up On The Sun," but I'm thinking the uniforms might be more like an MC Hammer CD and get worse.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it

*NOTE: SAYS THE F WORD*

Can we give it a rest now that the season's started?

sorry hopelesly, but it ain't gonna happen - as i have said before - especially whenever someone new chimes in with their two cents, those of us that despise this thing are going to bang the drum. in my estimation that is the only way we ever send this back to the geniuses at Rbk

Is there any chance this is a part of Larry Quinn's wildly successful "guerilla marketing campaign"? :rolleyes:

Actually, Quinn's wildly successful "guerilla marketing campaign" is building the most exciting hockey team in the league and contending for the Stanley Cup.

Let's have a little persepective here. The Sabres play in a great building, have a committed owner, offer affordable ticket pricing, televise all their games, and, oh by the way, are proably the elite team in the league right now. Quinn played a role in all of that.

But let's knock him every chance we can get because he chose an ugly logo. <_<

I guess ny question would be this: outside of some of the Buffalo fans who have softened on their criticism (mainly b/c the season has started) has anyone seen or heard any media people outside Buffalo (including national guys) that like the logo? It seems that people outside the Buffalo fan base are more pointed with their criticisms than our fans are, and methinks its something that we'll be hearing all season long.

I guess ny question would be this: outside of some of the Buffalo fans who have softened on their criticism (mainly b/c the season has started) has anyone seen or heard any media people outside Buffalo (including national guys) that like the logo? It seems that people outside the Buffalo fan base are more pointed with their criticisms than our fans are, and methinks its something that we'll be hearing all season long.

Closest thing I've seen to mainstream media liking the new logo... the guy basically said it's an improvement over the goathead but not over the oldschool crossed swords.

From Page2's UniWatch:

"The Sabres have new home and road attire too (plus a new mask for Ryan Miller). The welcome return to blue and gold is somewhat undercut by the much-maligned "Buffaslug" logo, which pretty much deserves all the abuse it's taken (and, as reader Jake Deppen points out, appears to owe a sizable aesthetic debt to the Kent State Golden Flashes), but Uni Watch actually counts it as an upgrade over the team's previous logo (but not, of course, over the one before that, which is now being revived as a throwback alternate).

Uni Watch doesn't mind the front uni numbers, although they create an unfortunate bookend effect when paired with a captain's "C." And no problems with swurvy hemline trim here, although for the wrong reason: The lower jerseys are trim-free -- a near-heretical development in a sport known for its hemline stripes and patterns. Uni Watch counts this as a big negative. (Note to conspiracy theorists: The blank hemline may also be a harbinger of tucked-in jerseys.)

Bigger negatives: All busy nonsense in the underarm area, and those crummy side panels (which are supposed to line up with the stripes on the shorts, but that's clearly wishful thinking).

The revised color scheme alone makes this an upgrade over the previous design. Still, Uni Watch sees this as a major missed opportunity.

"

They can criticize the logo all they want so long as we keep banging out wins.

Please - spare me that "who cares what they wear as long as they are winning" crap. Like if they rolled out a powder blue and light yellow combo with the "We're Talking Proud" or the Buffalo Wings aztec logo no one would complain? Whether we are winning or not, playing well or playing horribly, the logo is now, and will continue to be, a blackeye on the face of a proud, successful franchise and fanbase.

Closest thing I've seen to mainstream media liking the new logo... the guy basically said it's an improvement over the goathead but not over the oldschool crossed swords.

From Page2's UniWatch:

"The Sabres have new home and road attire too (plus a new mask for Ryan Miller). The welcome return to blue and gold is somewhat undercut by the much-maligned "Buffaslug" logo, which pretty much deserves all the abuse it's taken (and, as reader Jake Deppen points out, appears to owe a sizable aesthetic debt to the Kent State Golden Flashes), but Uni Watch actually counts it as an upgrade over the team's previous logo (but not, of course, over the one before that, which is now being revived as a throwback alternate).

Uni Watch doesn't mind the front uni numbers, although they create an unfortunate bookend effect when paired with a captain's "C." And no problems with swurvy hemline trim here, although for the wrong reason: The lower jerseys are trim-free -- a near-heretical development in a sport known for its hemline stripes and patterns. Uni Watch counts this as a big negative. (Note to conspiracy theorists: The blank hemline may also be a harbinger of tucked-in jerseys.)

Bigger negatives: All busy nonsense in the underarm area, and those crummy side panels (which are supposed to line up with the stripes on the shorts, but that's clearly wishful thinking).

The revised color scheme alone makes this an upgrade over the previous design. Still, Uni Watch sees this as a major missed opportunity.

"

Most poignant lines in that article. Disregarding everything they said about the stripes not matching up, and the underarms being busy as hell, and the lack of trim, as some of us have already said on this board, the BuffaSlug makes the whole jersey a major missed opportunity. The logo change was like standing in the crease, staring at an empty net - a simple tap-in lights the red lamp, and we all celebrate. Instead, whoever is responsible for this wound up to take a slapshot and missed not only the net, but the boards, glass and the entire 100 level.

The media (and we) should be talking about the Sabres being 3-0, when they'll get Timmy back, what a good soldier Marty has been, or any one of the two dozen great stories about this team, but the slug has diverted attention from the product on the ice to the wrapping it comes in. It's sad, really.

Please - spare me that "who cares what they wear as long as they are winning" crap. Like if they rolled out a powder blue and light yellow combo with the "We're Talking Proud" or the Buffalo Wings aztec logo no one would complain? Whether we are winning or not, playing well or playing horribly, the logo is now, and will continue to be, a blackeye on the face of a proud, successful franchise and fanbase.

Seriously, cry some more. The real crap is bitter people like you wasting your time and ours by complaining about a friggin' logo while our team is winning. You seriously need to get a life if you're going to enjoy this season any less because of it.

Seriously, cry some more. The real crap is bitter people like you wasting your time and ours by complaining about a friggin' logo while our team is winning. You seriously need to get a life if you're going to enjoy this season any less because of it.

What a typical response: that we're whiners and crybabies. Can I play the cliched reponse game too? "Hey Larry - is that you?"

Yep, you figured it out, we're all whiners and crybabies b/c the Sabres and Rbk blew a big yellow snot on the front of a poorly designed jersey, and you were foolish enough to drop some big $$$ on it. Get over yourself - you're the one running from thread to thread whining about the people who don't like the logo....talk about wasting your time...

BTW - who said I would enjoy the season any less b/c of a poor jersey? I certainly don't remember typing that. And b/c our team is winning, we should overlook anything we perceive as wrong and/or could be corrected? Guess we shouldn't be concerned about the powerplay or the lack of forward depth right now - after all, we're winning. I'll remember that for later this year.

Remember, no one is forcing you to go into any thread, especially one that clearly states it is about the logo. And if you do click on a thread by mistake, just hit that little left-pointing arrow in the top left hand side of your screen - that will take you back a page and you can save yourself the time and heartache of having to read whining about the logo.

Most poignant lines in that article. Disregarding everything they said about the stripes not matching up, and the underarms being busy as hell, and the lack of trim, as some of us have already said on this board, the BuffaSlug makes the whole jersey a major missed opportunity. The logo change was like standing in the crease, staring at an empty net - a simple tap-in lights the red lamp, and we all celebrate. Instead, whoever is responsible for this wound up to take a slapshot and missed not only the net, but the boards, glass and the entire 100 level.

The media (and we) should be talking about the Sabres being 3-0, when they'll get Timmy back, what a good soldier Marty has been, or any one of the two dozen great stories about this team, but the slug has diverted attention from the product on the ice to the wrapping it comes in. It's sad, really.

BM, keep beating the drum. The message doesn't become false simply because it's been repeated.

Also, on a slightly different note. Did anyone else notice that the Sabres pocket schedules don't have the abominable snot smear ANYWHERE on them? They've got the lanced B and the word mark, but the abominable snot smear is nowhere to be found. (Yea!)

Its a freakin logo. I could care less if they rolled aout a pink and purple jersey with Daisy's all over it. If they keep winnin and win the cup, I would not care. Maybe some of us fans care more about the team on the ice rather then what they are wearing. Maybe the fans who care about the look so much should change back to TLC's What not to wear and watch the Sabres Highlights after.

A Black Eye on the Face of a proud successful franchise? If this is the worst thing about the team we should consider ourselves lucky Considering this team has had much worse black eyes, for example, The Rigas's, Bankrupcy, rumors of possible relocation, and thats only in the last 10 years.

Finally, someone making sense around here

BM, keep beating the drum. The message doesn't become false simply because it's been repeated.

Also, on a slightly different note. Did anyone else notice that the Sabres pocket schedules don't have the abominable snot smear ANYWHERE on them? They've got the lanced B and the word mark, but the abominable snot smear is nowhere to be found. (Yea!)

I know it isn't one of the favorite sites around here, but if you go to sabres.com, there is the one big slug at the top, but the rest of the page features more of the alternate "B" logo. Small steps, Dave - small steps.

Its a freakin logo. I could care less if they rolled aout a pink and purple jersey with Daisy's all over it. If they keep winnin and win the cup, I would not care. Maybe some of us fans care more about the team on the ice rather then what they are wearing.Maybe the fans who care about the look so much should change back to TLC's What not to wear and watch the Sabres Highlights after.

I call BS on that.

And actually, I don't now, nor have I ever, watched "what not to wear" or any similar program. But you seem to not only know the name of those shows, but also what channel to find them on, so...

A Black Eye on the Face of a proud successful franchise? If this is the worst thing about the team we should consider ourselves lucky Considering this team has had much worse black eyes, for example, The Rigas's, Bankrupcy, rumors of possible relocation, and thats only in the last 10 years.

You're right, maybe that was a little too much hyperbole. There definitely were bigger issues, namely the Rigas era, and I am happy that we ditched the B&R symbols of that travesty. But that still doesn't make the slug OK.

What a typical response: that we're whiners and crybabies. Can I play the cliched reponse game too? "Hey Larry - is that you?"

Yep, you figured it out, we're all whiners and crybabies b/c the Sabres and Rbk blew a big yellow snot on the front of a poorly designed jersey, and you were foolish enough to drop some big $$$ on it. Get over yourself - you're the one running from thread to thread whining about the people who don't like the logo....talk about wasting your time...

BTW - who said I would enjoy the season any less b/c of a poor jersey? I certainly don't remember typing that. And b/c our team is winning, we should overlook anything we perceive as wrong and/or could be corrected? Guess we shouldn't be concerned about the powerplay or the lack of forward depth right now - after all, we're winning. I'll remember that for later this year.

Remember, no one is forcing you to go into any thread, especially one that clearly states it is about the logo. And if you do click on a thread by mistake, just hit that little left-pointing arrow in the top left hand side of your screen - that will take you back a page and you can save yourself the time and heartache of having to read whining about the logo.

Maybe that's the typical response because it's so obvious? I didn't say that you would enjoy the season less...that is why I prefaced that statement with an "if", but it certainly is the mindset amongst alot of people yammering on about this.

You don't need to put words in my mouth. I'm not advocating sweeping anything under the rug, especially forward depth or our lack of a power play, just because the Sabres are winning. But a logo? Come on man...get real. I can certainly look past it if the Sabres are putting W's on the board. I'm really getting the impression you would be happy if the Sabres went back to sucking as long as they had a logo you approved of. Wow...what a great proud heritage/tradition of mediocrity. I like the old Blue and Gold, but that logo isn't much better if you're trying to preserve a tradition of loss after loss. Other hockey towns can get away with the tradition argument because they've actually won the cup.

You're right, no one is forcing me to go into any thread. That same rule applies to you. I'm just trying to help you out and remind you there's a hockey season going on right now and I don't want you to miss it.

Why does it have to be all or nothing with some of you people...

It is possible to be happy about the team, enjoy the season, realize they are winning and be a fan of the team... while still not being happy about the choice of the new logo! Just because I don't like the logo, doesn't mean I care more about the logo or the team, they are not mutualy exclusive.

The fact remains that it is possible that this logo could be changed again in a couple years, and if I don't like it, I can push to see that happen. I will still support the team and watch the games (not flip over to What not to wear) but I just don't like the logo. Why is it so bad to feel that way and not just blindly agree with everything our favorite sports franchise puts out there?

Actually, Quinn's wildly successful "guerilla marketing campaign" is building the most exciting hockey team in the league and contending for the Stanley Cup.

Let's have a little persepective here. The Sabres play in a great building, have a committed owner, offer affordable ticket pricing, televise all their games, and, oh by the way, are proably the elite team in the league right now. Quinn played a role in all of that.

But let's knock him every chance we can get because he chose an ugly logo. <_<

Quinn saved the Sabres bacon?!? How about Darcy Reiger, the most underappriciated guy in the histroy of Buffalo sports.

Maybe that's the typical response because it's so obvious? I didn't say that you would enjoy the season less...that is why I prefaced that statement with an "if", but it certainly is the mindset amongst alot of people yammering on about this.

You don't need to put words in my mouth. I'm not advocating sweeping anything under the rug, especially forward depth or our lack of a power play, just because the Sabres are winning. But a logo? Come on man...get real. I can certainly look past it if the Sabres are putting W's on the board. I'm really getting the impression you would be happy if the Sabres went back to sucking as long as they had a logo you approved of. Wow...what a great proud heritage/tradition of mediocrity. I like the old Blue and Gold, but that logo isn't much better if you're trying to preserve a tradition of loss after loss. Other hockey towns can get away with the tradition argument because they've actually won the cup.

You're right, no one is forcing me to go into any thread. That same rule applies to you. I'm just trying to help you out and remind you there's a hockey season going on right now and I don't want you to miss it.

Wow. If you really think that I would prefer the team sucked but the logo was great, then I don't know what to say, other than that might have been the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen written on a message board - and I visit The Stadium Wall quite frequently.

For the heritage thing, you allude to another misconception that the slug-neutral often bring up - that we just want the old logo back. No one, save a few delusional older fans, think that bringing the old logo back (as a full-time logo) is either feasible or necessary. Face it, those uniforms looked tired in the early 90s. All we wanted was something that represented the team well, a logo that showed we are the Sabres (and not the Buffaloes, Bisons, Slugs, Chargers, etc.) with an updated scheme. That's it. Slabyk & the Celsius Designs shows that it could have been done well, without rolling back to the old logo exactly - slap one of his logos on the new jerseys and watch them fly off the shelves. BTW -- Why are you such a fan of a team that has, in your words, "a great proud heritage/tradition of mediocrity?"

And thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'll miss the hockey season that's started. As it is, I am waiting for the DirecTV guy to call me back to set up an appointment to see if I can get the dish installed (there's a treeline in the sightline of the dish, but it's about 65 feet from my apartment) and get the Center Ice package ordered.

Finally, I came into the thread with a pretty good idea of what was going to be said here. Although others have done it, I have not (to my best recollection) purposely or inadvertantly hi-jacked any threads with anti-slug talk. (I may have joined in, once the hi-jack was fully underway, but that's another story.) I have tried to keep most of my comments civil and contained in the threads that established it was a logo thread right in the topic title. I am just so tired of hearing the same arguments over & over - and the silliness of some who go into every appropriately titled thread and rip into people who don't like the logo.

It's all good, though - we just have to agree to disagree. Besides, I know everyone gets antsy when there is so much time off between games - just look at the lunatics running the asylum over at TSW...

Archived