Buccigross on the new logo

fushetti

It's all good, though - we just have to agree to disagree. Besides, I know everyone gets antsy when there is so much time off between games - just look at the lunatics running the asylum over at TSW...

Thats kids stuff

Have you ever been on or tried to read the Sabres.com message board? Between the posts that get hijacked by the guy expressing his man love for Biron and how he is the best goalie ever because of his "13 game win streak last year" and the other posts by everyone asking how to get rid of that guy, there really isn't much more to it.

TSW atleast changes after a win or a loss. Win and everyone praises the Bills, Lose and its who are we going to pick with the 1st pick in the draft, How is Ralph the reason the Bills are not SB contendors, and how player 'X' is the worst in the league no matter what kind of game they have

Thats kids stuff

Have you ever been on or tried to read the Sabres.com message board? Between the posts that get hijacked by the guy expressing his man love for Biron and how he is the best goalie ever because of his "13 game win streak last year" and the other posts by everyone asking how to get rid of that guy, there really isn't much more to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you been there lately? He is claiming that Biron has a 7 game winning streak going back to last season. He refuses to accept that preseason games don't count.

And my second favorite is that it doesn't matter that Miller had a better SV% or GAA, because Biron had a better winning percentage. :lol: :lol: Ok, I'll stop now.

Actually, Quinn's wildly successful "guerilla marketing campaign" is building the most exciting hockey team in the league and contending for the Stanley Cup.

Quinn said all the bad press the new logo got over the summer was really a "guerilla marketing campaign." Sorry to sprinkle some reality into the discussion but it wasn't a "guerilla marketing campaign," it was just a poorly handled uniform re-design. The look is NOT popular and, even though they waited until September to unveil them, they still didn't have merchandise ready to sell.

And we're not contending for the Cup thanks to the new uniforms. :rolleyes:

Let's have a little persepective here. The Sabres play in a great building, have a committed owner, offer affordable ticket pricing, televise all their games, and, oh by the way, are proably the elite team in the league right now. Quinn played a role in all of that.

But let's knock him every chance we can get because he chose an ugly logo. <_<

Quinn drafted Miller? Quinn traded for Briere?

He didn't build the roster. He isn't the guy who owns the team and spent the money to keep it together. He did spearhead the worst uniform re-design in Buffalo history and probably the most infamous uniform re-design since the Islanders disaster a decade ago. It was the easiest job in the world and he screwed it up.

He doesn't get credit for Lindy Ruff coaching Regier's roster that Golisano paid for. And the overall quality of the team doesn't make up for crappy uniforms. Having a great team is hard. Having great uniforms is easy. We're lucky to have men in the organization capable of providing the former but unfortunately we have an idiot who screwed up the latter.

Look for any thread having to do with Miller or Biron.

Wow that guy at Sabres.com has some serious stalker issues with Biron...the one thread I looked at he referred to Marty as the starter and Ryan as the backup...weird...

I'm sorry for my slug-mongering acceptance.

I want to support the team in any way I can and that included buying a current jersey. If they decide to rework the logo again in 2-3 years I will gladly spend another $200+ for an authentic jersey.

Hey more power to you. Buy it if you like it - I am not going to tell anyone who likes the threads/logo/whatever not to buy one.

My point to those undecideds is that this isn't some junior travel team at the local rink, who needs the proceeds from merchandise sales to determine whether they can travel to the next tournament or whatever. Just don't feel like you aren't a real fan if you decide not to buy one, or that without one you won't enjoy the season as much.

I could care less if they rolled aout a pink and purple jersey with Daisy's all over it.
You know, this has got to be the most B.S. statement I have ever seen written. That statement belongs in the Hall of Shame here on Sabrespace.com

You are kidding, right? You mean to tell me you would run out to the store to buy and sport that womanhood to the local pub, etc... all the while keeping a smile on your face because "the Sabres have a winning team" as your getting your face pummeled by thoroughly frustrated Sabres fans dealing with inept Marketing campaigns.

Yeah right. :angry:

My point to those undecideds is that this isn't some junior travel team at the local rink, who needs the proceeds from merchandise sales to determine whether they can travel to the next tournament or whatever. Just don't feel like you aren't a real fan if you decide not to buy one, or that without one you won't enjoy the season as much.

I just think that any and all jersey talk should be merged into a single thread. I really don't mind the dislike for the logo but even in threads that aren't specifically about the logo you will see one or two people bring it up. It has really gotten out of hand in my opinion.

The problem I foresee is...what happens if the Sabres have an incredible run this year, and even win the cup? It would be hard to argue then that the logo should change if there were good memories behind it (the season, not the logo), wouldn't it? The slug may come to represent an amazing area of the Sabres.

Trust me, I'd love to see a giant sabre or cross sabres as the main crest, but how do you improve an already good design? The Celsius designs were good but of course you'd have the oldschool fans complaining that it's just a knock off. Going back to the original logo would probably upset the people looking for an updated version, and those who already own the oldschool design probably wouldn't buy another jersey with the same logo.

LQ should have gotten the public involved in some aspect, but then we don't know what can of worms that would have opened, since it's impossible for everyone to come to an agreement on a design.

You know, this has got to be the most B.S. statement I have ever seen written. That statement belongs in the Hall of Shame here on Sabrespace.com

You are kidding, right? You mean to tell me you would run out to the store to buy and sport that womanhood to the local pub, etc... all the while keeping a smile on your face because "the Sabres have a winning team" as your getting your face pummeled by thoroughly frustrated Sabres fans dealing with inept Marketing campaigns.

Yeah right. :angry:

Wait a minute, Where did I say I would run out and buy one of those jersey's? Don't put words in my mouth. I'm just saying that if they were to come out on the ice wearing that, I could care less aslong as they are hoisting the cup or atleast making a serious run for it. I really don't care what other teams fans or the media thinks of the uniforms, is it going to mean we have no chance of winning because of them? They can laugh all they want cause it will be the Sabres having the last laugh by beating them.

The most B.S. statement that has been made is that the logo will affect the on ice play of the team. But thanks for coming out and having an opinion and understanding my post :rolleyes:

Hmm, sounds kinda like something they already have:

http://nhl.imageg.net/graphics/product_ima...p3218826reg.jpg

I don't like Buffaslug, but I won't mind it on a Stanley Cup Banner.

I think all teams have them, I remember seeing Cryers fans with Pink jerseys last year in the playoffs

I just think that any and all jersey talk should be merged into a single thread. I really don't mind the dislike for the logo but even in threads that aren't specifically about the logo you will see one or two people bring it up. It has really gotten out of hand in my opinion.

The problem I foresee is...what happens if the Sabres have an incredible run this year, and even win the cup? It would be hard to argue then that the logo should change if there were good memories behind it (the season, not the logo), wouldn't it? The slug may come to represent an amazing area of the Sabres.

Trust me, I'd love to see a giant sabre or cross sabres as the main crest, but how do you improve an already good design? The Celsius designs were good but of course you'd have the oldschool fans complaining that it's just a knock off. Going back to the original logo would probably upset the people looking for an updated version, and those who already own the oldschool design probably wouldn't buy another jersey with the same logo.

LQ should have gotten the public involved in some aspect, but then we don't know what can of worms that would have opened, since it's impossible for everyone to come to an agreement on a design.

I am starting to think that the logo/uni talk should have its own forum, like the Sabres.com message board. Then there is no excuse for hijacking current threads or people who don't want to hear about it accidentlaly clicking on something.

As for the getting people to agree part: I don't think it would have been that hard to get most fans to agree, or back a different design, but its truly a rare event when a majority (IMO) of the fanbase hates the logo you rolled out. And any other design didn't need 100% approval, just more than the 25% they currently have (again, IMHO.)

I'm hoping that they'll have the foresight to put the vintage/alternate logo on the banner.

I hope so too.

Even I have accepted the fact that TALKING about the logo does nothing at this point, because it is already here and the merchandise is and has been in production. Given these (unfortunate) circumstances, the gameplan now shifts to hitting them in the pocket book by not purchasing any merchandise this year. For those of you that are still avidly against the logo like I am, this is the only way to attack this problem for the forseeable future. Hopefully at the end of the season, the Sabres will total up their merchandise revenue and see that it is extremely low and begin to question their stupid decision...then it will be time for talking once again

Quinn said all the bad press the new logo got over the summer was really a "guerilla marketing campaign." Sorry to sprinkle some reality into the discussion but it wasn't a "guerilla marketing campaign," it was just a poorly handled uniform re-design. The look is NOT popular and, even though they waited until September to unveil them, they still didn't have merchandise ready to sell.

And we're not contending for the Cup thanks to the new uniforms. :rolleyes:

Quinn drafted Miller? Quinn traded for Briere?

He didn't build the roster. He isn't the guy who owns the team and spent the money to keep it together. He did spearhead the worst uniform re-design in Buffalo history and probably the most infamous uniform re-design since the Islanders disaster a decade ago. It was the easiest job in the world and he screwed it up.

He doesn't get credit for Lindy Ruff coaching Regier's roster that Golisano paid for. And the overall quality of the team doesn't make up for crappy uniforms. Having a great team is hard. Having great uniforms is easy. We're lucky to have men in the organization capable of providing the former but unfortunately we have an idiot who screwed up the latter.

Your response completely proves my point. Quinn hired Regier and Ruff. He also retained them after the lockout, even though both moves were wildly unpopular.

He didn't purchase the team himself, but he was a top advisor to Golisano during the purchase, and helped make the deal (which has been a great one for Sabres fans) happen.

He was a driving force in building the arena (without which, the Sabres would be gone), and has worked to keep ticket prices among the lowest in the league.

I don't know, that sounds like a guy who has worked to bring in some excellent people to the Sabres organization, and has layed the groundwork for the success of the franchise in Buffalo.

But all that doesn't count, because he picked a bad uniform design. He's, in your words, and "idiot." <_<

A little perspective here would go a long way.

Your response completely proves my point. Quinn hired Regier and Ruff. He also retained them after the lockout, even though both moves were wildly unpopular.

He didn't purchase the team himself, but he was a top advisor to Golisano during the purchase, and helped make the deal (which has been a great one for Sabres fans) happen.

He was a driving force in building the arena (without which, the Sabres would be gone), and has worked to keep ticket prices among the lowest in the league.

I don't know, that sounds like a guy who has worked to bring in some excellent people to the Sabres organization, and has layed the groundwork for the success of the franchise in Buffalo.

But all that doesn't count, because he picked a bad uniform design. He's, in your words, and "idiot." <_<

A little perspective here would go a long way.

The uniform and logo are horrible. Quinn hardly is an idiot, though, as you capably point out. But I think we're all missing the most important remarks in Buccigross's column: he thinks the Penguins will end up in Kitchener-Waterloo. That could be a problem. Anyone think he's right? I think if any team moves to Canada, Winnepeg probably would get first shot.

I'm not saying Larry Quinn has never done anything right but the uniform re-design that he was entirely in charge of (and had years to work on) was a complete disaster. Put it right there with the "round nets" idea.

Keeping Regier and Ruff after the lockout was never "wildly unpopular." There were times in seasons prior to that when they were much less popular.

Do you really think Tom Golisano wouldn't have been able to complete the deal without Larry Quinn? Tom Golisano, the self-made billionaire? I think Golisano would have been able to figure it out. Quinn did a good job helping Tom out so OK, give him credit for that.

There were countless people involved in getting the then-Marine Midland Arena built.

Do you really think the reason the Sabres are in such a good position right now is that Larry Quinn is on board?

Larry Quinn does nice work as a liason for others but he headed up the uniform re-design - the easiest job in the world because it was so clear what the fans were clamoring for - and he screwed up. And his response has been to act like an arrogant prick and come up with the "this was a guerilla marketing campaign" line. It's the same type of crap that caused people to have problems with him in the past.

My question about the logo is, why is one horn/tusk white while the other one is yellow... :huh:

It's actually not... the "yellow horn" is actually a tuft of hair (or fur whichever a buffalo has). The other horn actually isn't visible at the angle the logo is portrayed.

It still looks stupid though

I'm not saying Larry Quinn has never done anything right but the uniform re-design that he was entirely in charge of (and had years to work on) was a complete disaster. Put it right there with the "round nets" idea.

Keeping Regier and Ruff after the lockout was never "wildly unpopular." There were times in seasons prior to that when they were much less popular.

Do you really think Tom Golisano wouldn't have been able to complete the deal without Larry Quinn? Tom Golisano, the self-made billionaire? I think Golisano would have been able to figure it out. Quinn did a good job helping Tom out so OK, give him credit for that.

There were countless people involved in getting the then-Marine Midland Arena built.

Do you really think the reason the Sabres are in such a good position right now is that Larry Quinn is on board?

Larry Quinn does nice work as a liason for others but he headed up the uniform re-design - the easiest job in the world because it was so clear what the fans were clamoring for - and he screwed up. And his response has been to act like an arrogant prick and come up with the "this was a guerilla marketing campaign" line. It's the same type of crap that caused people to have problems with him in the past.

Where did you find that Quinn headed up (or was entirely in charge of) the uniform re-design? Everyone puts the full blame on Quinn for this like he drew up the design himself. TG owns the team, don't you think he has a big say in what is approved? Quinn could just be the figure head who has to go out to the public and push this item on them.

Quinn could just be the figure head who has to go out to the public and push this item on them.

Well, he was clearly the wrong man for that job as well. I can almost accept the fact that my beloved team has awful uniforms; whenever there's a change, you take that risk. However, I cannot accept Quinn's condescending and downright deceitful behavior. For everyone's sake, the man should never be allowed to handle public relations again.

Even I have accepted the fact that TALKING about the logo does nothing at this point, because it is already here and the merchandise is and has been in production. Given these (unfortunate) circumstances, the gameplan now shifts to hitting them in the pocket book by not purchasing any merchandise this year. For those of you that are still avidly against the logo like I am, this is the only way to attack this problem for the forseeable future. Hopefully at the end of the season, the Sabres will total up their merchandise revenue and see that it is extremely low and begin to question their stupid decision...then it will be time for talking once again

I think as you see the Sabres to continue to win and win and win that people will ultimately want to be a part of it and buy the merchandise. Honestly, seeing the Sabres on the ice and winning on television has the jersey and logo growing on me. I think we should have fun with it. I really think if people jumped on the "YOU GOT SLUGGED" chant bandwagon that it could be on the same line of fun that people have had with the last logo by calling it the angry goat head.

Actually, Quinn's wildly successful "guerilla marketing campaign" is building the most exciting hockey team in the league and contending for the Stanley Cup.

Let's have a little persepective here. The Sabres play in a great building, have a committed owner, offer affordable ticket pricing, televise all their games, and, oh by the way, are proably the elite team in the league right now. Quinn played a role in all of that.

But let's knock him every chance we can get because he chose an ugly logo. <_<

No kidding. Let the logo thing go. If you were to get out of Mommie's basement once in a while you'd realize that most fans are enjoying the 3-0 start. If the Sabres win it all, it will be clucks like you who'll post such idiotic rants as "What an embarrassment. The new logo looked horrible as it was being worn by the guys skating around with the Stanley Cup!!!" GET OVER IT.

Archived