6 points to start the season! Are you kidding me???

SDS

Who looked at the schedule and saw away at the SC champs, home against a playoff team, and away at the #1 seed in the East last season and thought - oh, yeah that's 6 points right there????

We could have walked away with 0-2 points and it would have been easily understandable. 6 points is tremendous!

I'm not being a smart @$$ but I expected for them to win with a healthy team. I believe they were a better team last season. Unfortunatley injuries happen and there were too many to overcome. Last year was very exciting to watch this team .I may start flying up for Sabres games rather than Bills. :lol:

I'm not being a smart @$$ but I expected for them to win with a healthy team. I believe they were a better team last season. Unfortunatley injuries happen and there were too many to overcome. Last year was very exciting to watch this team .I may start flying up for Sabres games rather than Bills. :lol:

what are you - some kind of smart ass?

;)

It is certainly worth rejoicing over. These were not easy victories to come by either. All of them gave us a challenge.

Let's keep that in mind when we face Detroit on Friday. I would also like to remind the whole board not to get cocky because Hasek may be in net. Remember what he did to us last season when he was with Ottawa. If the Sabres walk away with two more points next Friday by any legal means necessary, we'll take them.

I honestly couldn't care less about the washed up nutjob they call Hasek. The man is a sideshow freak these days.

I mean, does anybody in here seriously expect him to be around come christmas?

The first time things do go according to His Royal Bailness' wishes, he's gonna come down with one of those phantom groin injuries.

Too bad, because he truly was great once.

Effing smartass

I honestly couldn't care less about the washed up nutjob they call Hasek. The man is a sideshow freak these days.

I mean, does anybody in here seriously expect him to be around come christmas?

The first time things do go according to His Royal Bailness' wishes, he's gonna come down with one of those phantom groin injuries.

Too bad, because he truly was great once.

It was truly an eye-opener to learn that one of the greatest Buffalo athletes of all-time turned into a prima donna quitter, and a shell of the former great goalie he once was. I am thankful for getting to meet him, getting to watch him play during one of the greatest runs a goaltender has had in modern-day history, and for his off-ice contributions to the community through Hasek's Heroes. Sadly, I think a lot of people will (and maybe rightfully so) remember him for his role in the Muckler, Nolan, Quinn, Regier soap opera that ultimately cost the Sabres their franchise goalie, laid the groundwork for the Sabres to lose Peca, and turned the team from a possible Cup-contender to a playoff non-qualifier. Top that all off with the ridiculous trade demand, the questionable injuries, the retirement and unretirement, and it truly becomes a sad story.

I would also like to remind the whole board not to get cocky because Hasek may be in net. Remember what he did to us last season when he was with Ottawa.

I'm both a Sabres fan (grew up in Buffalo) and a Red Wings fan (lived in Detroit from 91-97 and became a big fan). So I'm familiar with both teams.

I'm not saying this game is in the bag, but it certainly is winnable for the Sabres. A few things to consider: The Wings have lost a bunch of leadership- Shannahan, Yzerman... They have great people coming up behind them in Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but they are just not in sync yet. As for Hasek, he allowed 3 goals on 17 shots in Game 1. The Wings won Game 2 because they only allowed about 10 shots. Bomb Hasek and he will crumble.

I'm both a Sabres fan (grew up in Buffalo) and a Red Wings fan (lived in Detroit from 91-97 and became a big fan). So I'm familiar with both teams.

I'm not saying this game is in the bag, but it certainly is winnable for the Sabres. A few things to consider: The Wings have lost a bunch of leadership- Shannahan, Yzerman... They have great people coming up behind them in Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but they are just not in sync yet. As for Hasek, he allowed 3 goals on 17 shots in Game 1. The Wings won Game 2 because they only allowed about 10 shots. Bomb Hasek and he will crumble.

I expect Miller to come out determined and have a strong night (despite what happened last time he played in Detroit).

It was truly an eye-opener to learn that one of the greatest Buffalo athletes of all-time turned into a prima donna quitter, and a shell of the former great goalie he once was. I am thankful for getting to meet him, getting to watch him play during one of the greatest runs a goaltender has had in modern-day history, and for his off-ice contributions to the community through Hasek's Heroes. Sadly, I think a lot of people will (and maybe rightfully so) remember him for his role in the Muckler, Nolan, Quinn, Regier soap opera that ultimately cost the Sabres their franchise goalie, laid the groundwork for the Sabres to lose Peca, and turned the team from a possible Cup-contender to a playoff non-qualifier. Top that all off with the ridiculous trade demand, the questionable injuries, the retirement and unretirement, and it truly becomes a sad story.

Well said. It has become a sad story, and he was the standard-bearer for the Sabres for a long time. Too bad it ends with the greatest Sabre of all time (not afraid to say that) becoming what he has become.

Well said. It has become a sad story, and he was the standard-bearer for the Sabres for a long time. Too bad it ends with the greatest Sabre of all time (not afraid to say that) becoming what he has become.

hasek's career, for all intensive purposes, ended in 2001 or 02 when he won the cup in detroit. He was on the downside when he left the sabres, and as a mercenary, he had one great year left to win the cup for himself. in hindsight, you can't blame the guy for wanting out of a sinking ship that was the buffalo sabres. Also in hindsight, hasek leaving sparked the team's downfall and selloff, which effectively began this dyansty today. anyways, back to hasek, since he won that cup, he's been a complete joke of a goalie. retired 3 or 4 times, been injured about 6 times, almost beat a guy to death with a hockey stick in europe... got injured in the olympics (for hasek's only real team, the czech republic)... its been a sad case. Because of all his antics, there'll be some major time (like 5 or so years), but eventually he'll come back and raise #39 to the rafters at the hsbc and all will be forgotten.

as for friday's game, he's too old and too slow to keep up with our speed game. so is the detroit defense. for that reason, i fully expect him to "come down with a cold" on thursday night.

Who looked at the schedule and saw away at the SC champs, home against a playoff team, and away at the #1 seed in the East last season and thought - oh, yeah that's 6 points right there????

We could have walked away with 0-2 points and it would have been easily understandable. 6 points is tremendous!

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, last night at hockey. Great to meet you Scott! You looked good out there. Just keep working at your skating, and everything else will come with time! Did you guys win?

One more thing about Hasek and then I'm done: I think the fan reaction when Detroit picked him up was, "Oh no! Not again!" The only thing worse would have been Belfour. Even when he won the Cup with Detroit, he was not well liked among the fans. Mercenary was the word used there.

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, last night at hockey. Great to meet you Scott! You looked good out there. Just keep working at your skating, and everything else will come with time! Did you guys win?

I try and skate 2-3 times a week. I have improved 1000% since Feb. when I started this whole thing.

We lost to a bad team - 9-4. They had two wicked fast teenagers who scored most of their goals pickup style. I netted two goals myself, and fed some near misses to my linemates, so I had a decent night.

I expect Miller to come out determined and have a strong night (despite what happened last time he played in Detroit).

Good point Hopelesly... I don't think any of us should underestimate Miller being motivated by playing in front of a couple hundred friends and family. I wonder about the rust factor though for the rest of the team. With none of our lines having developed a real great chemistry yet, I wonder how a 5 day layoff will effect them?

Good point Hopelesly... I don't think any of us should underestimate Miller being motivated by playing in front of a couple hundred friends and family. I wonder about the rust factor though for the rest of the team. With none of our lines having developed a real great chemistry yet, I wonder how a 5 day layoff will effect them?

I am hoping that the week off gives them time to work on a lot of the mistakes that they were making. The team played poorly and undisciplined at times in all 3 wins. I think you can credit all 3 wins to goaltending.

Of course at the same time, the extra time off without real games could have the opposite effect.

Archived