The Official "Get Over It" Thread

Corp000085

I don't think the new logo is THAT bad.

I didn't like the previous one THAT much, the same's true for the current one.

But you know what? I don't care. I'm gonna buy a new authentic sabres home jersey just because I want to own one jersey representing each "sabres era".

They could have no logo at all, it could be even uglier, i couldn't care less. I'm happy with that team and their performance and as long as they do as well as they did last year, the last thing i could care about is the new logo. ;)

team spirit > performance on the ice > some random stuff > new logo design

just my 2 cents. ;)

Well at least corp took a shot here. Too bad people will never stop complaining since it's now the cool thing to do. Just watch the damn games. Why is that message so tough to listen to?

I'm not sure what the point of the thread was. It seemed to me that the number of slug & new logo-related threads was dwindling and being replaced by actual hockey talk and talk about the new site - a quick count just now and I came up with all of 5 threads on page 1 (including this one) relating to the slug. I know some threads evolve into other discussions (even -*gasp*- the new logo) but it seemed like Corp was just getting the natives all riled up just for the sake of riling them up. Telling people to STFU about something they passionately hate is inviting them to argue with you...if that was Corp's original intent, it wasn't a terribly original flame there, but effective nonethless...

But I do love how these threads quickly regress, and in a familiar pattern. Without fail, someone sees another poster make an offhanded comment, full-blown complaint, slug-related joke or something somewhere in the middle of all that, and some people get their noses out of joint and respond with such eloquent responses as "STFU," "get over it," "who cares what they are wearing" and of course, someone chimes in with a "bandwagon fan" or a "not a real fan" comment to push the debate to the next level. This, of course riles up the original poster (or whiner, to paraphrase some of our most esteemed pro-slug and slug-neutral posters on here) or another anti-slug poster, and they in-turn respond with more witty and eloquent responses, then we are off to the races.

If you don't want to read about or discuss the logo, don't click on the thread that obviously deals with the logo/uniforms. If you click on something by mistake, you have a magical little "BACK" button that takes yo out of the thread and prevents you from having to listen to people "whine." Why is that message to tough to understand?

I, for one, although don't enjoy the buffalo/slug that graces the front, I am a fan of the new color scheme. The gold and blue/white correlates back to the old uni's and I for one think that a new non-slug could make these uni's work.
Agree, jersey's are ok, logo has to go.

An interview with Washington Captials owner Ted Leonsis appeared on a Metroblogging DC yesterday, and part of the discussion involved the Caps? uniforms. Here?s the relevant passage (with thanks to Dan Franko for the tip):

MBDC: What?s going on with the uniforms? It seems every year we have people scratching their heads wondering if you?ll be going back to red, white, and blue uniforms.

Leonsis: We will eventually go back to red, white, and blue. For every person who sends me an e-mail that wants the color change or new uniform, I get as many mails, mostly from mothers, saying, ?Pease don?t change the uniform. because then I have to buy the new jersey for my children and they are very expensive.? I am very cognizant of that and when we?re changing the uniform I don?t want it to look like we are doing it to generate money. To be honest, that is not even how it works ? we?re not the recipient of individual, additional jersey sales. That is a misconception. The NHL overall is looking at changing the style, the weight, and making the uniforms more contemporary. So I think we?ll just wait and see when the NHL goes to a new design and style and new color scheme and logos, and that would be the time to do it.

MBDC: I imagine there will be a lot of effort put into that when the time comes, so there is not a repeat of the Buffaslug disaster.

Leonsis [laughing]: Yes, we will make sure we have total fan buy-in before do anything.

Yep, the LOGO is a disaster........period. :angry:

Well at least corp took a shot here. Too bad people will never stop complaining since it's now the cool thing to do. Just watch the damn games. Why is that message so tough to listen to?

Why do you add fuel to the fire and just make it worse, if you don't like the logo talk just dont respond its that easy. Corp brought up the logo on the cup which I am still confused to how he heard this since space is limited on it (still wondering how he heard about that).

Why do you add fuel to the fire and just make it worse, if you don't like the logo talk just dont respond its that easy. Corp brought up the logo on the cup which I am still confused to how he heard this since space is limited on it (still wondering how he heard about that).

Strow, you need to go back and re-read what Corp wrote. Although I think he might have been just flaming the baord to get a reaction, his point was that there is NOT a logo on the Cup - just the year, team name and the players/coaches names. It was Corp's "fresh" take on the old standard argument from the pro-slug and slug-neutral crowd - the old "who cares what our logo is when we win the Cup."

You are right about one thing, though - there are a handful of people who come into a thread where the debate is already getting intense and throw fuel on the fire, then get indignant when the debate doesn't end with their witty comments...

After reviewing last night's telecast, and using google.com to my advantage, I have realized that the Stanley Cup Champions logo is not inscribed in the Cup. All I saw last night was "2005-2006 Carolina Hurricanes". I saw no red and black logo. I just saw names.

Next year, when we're all hungover, please review the Cup. You'll see "2006-2007 Buffalo Sabres. Lindy Ruff, Daniel Briere, Christopher Drury, Maxim Afinogenov,..." STFU, its game time...

Here's my two cents to the crowd that continues to get their panties in a bunch every time once of us (I am now part of "that" cliche or group) comments on the snot smear:

GET OVER IT. People despise this logo. It is now commonplace that somewill comment.

Just like I learned not to go on twobillsdrive.com for stimulating, intellectual conversation it no longer upsets me how difficult it is to engage meaningful dialogue.

The sooner you can come to grips with this, the easier it is for you to simply hit that little green arrow on the upper left corner of the screen that says "Back" on it whenever you enter a thread that started out as, or evolved in, to a blitz kreig on Barney Rubble's Hairpiece.

MBDC: I imagine there will be a lot of effort put into that when the time comes, so there is not a repeat of the Buffaslug disaster.

Leonsis [laughing]: Yes, we will make sure we have total fan buy-in before do anything.[/color]

Yep, the LOGO is a disaster........period. :angry:

I love that the reaction from all over the league is basically "Wow! Really? That's really what they came up with? And they knew their fans hated it? Holy crap......."

Again, congratulations to Larry Quinn on his "successful guerilla marketing campaign." This is the most terrible uniform re-design since the Islanders mess in the mid 90's.

Finally saw them play a game in them in person tonight and they simply don't work. They look pretty ugly on the fans too. The giant white t-shirt look is not flattering on overweight people, and the damn jersey looks like a mu-mu (sp?).

Funny, I saw it as a "hey, we've got a damn good team here, let's focus on that" thread. But then the mindless trolls immediately replied with the same identical rants that they've gone off on in every single thread on this board.

Short and simple, it's getting old fast people.

But, but, but...the Sabres director of creative services said the original logo was TOO iconic to update it: <_<

Uhhh, not really, Frank.

The more I think about this, the more it stinks like Rbk had an idea with the way they wanted to go, and one way or another, Rbk and the league coerced the team into accepting this crap.

I think I want to see the 80 other designs and the slug before the 12 revisions, so I see what was rejected.

Either way, I cannot wait until the vintage jersey is darkened so I can pick up one of those.

Rbk came up with the logo scheme, huh? Well, I wonder what would have happened if Teppo's company (Montreal Sports) back in Finland had come up with something different (and better). Would the NHL have blessed off on it? I mean, look at what Nike did to Team Finland's unis during the Olympics. They actually looked pretty classy.

I admit, the slug gives me some mixed opinions. Some days I like it, some days I don't. However, you could be wearing an Anaheim Duck-Duck-Goose uniform (which has to be about as bad as the Nashville Predators 3rd jersey).

Funny, I saw it as a "hey, we've got a damn good team here, let's focus on that" thread. But then the mindless trolls immediately replied with the same identical rants that they've gone off on in every single thread on this board.

Short and simple, it's getting old fast people.

Funny, its not getting old at all to me, and all I saw here was a post saying "Here's another thread whining about the whining".

Short and simple, it's getting old fast that people are complaining about complaining.

Leonsis: We will eventually go back to red, white, and blue. For every person who sends me an e-mail that wants the color change or new uniform, I get as many mails, mostly from mothers, saying, ?Pease don?t change the uniform. because then I have to buy the new jersey for my children and they are very expensive.?

This has been Leonsis' stock answer the last several years...Caps fans here in DC were never wild with the current uniform/color scheme and have been crying for the original red/white/blue jerseys for awhile. The classics were pretty good, with the stars going down the sleeves and across the upper chest...the old logo, however, could have used some work.

I see the new sluggo like this: It is so stupid, it's endearing. Just like "Golden Gophers" and any number of dumbass college and high school mascots. I mean, really, wtf is a Buffalo "Bill" anyway? I would like to have a logo and sweater more in keeping with the tradition of the original one, which I consider to be very "Original Six"-like. But until we get something better, the silly logo is perfectly in keeping with the underdog image of the city. When the rest of the league has been slimed and the Sabres' mucous trail on the cup, they'll be scared of The Slug.

The logo is a sideshow; that's all. The team plays as it does regardless of what dumb stuff is on their uni.

I think the rest of the style of the uni will be trend setting, especially the numbers of the front. Very cool.

I see the new sluggo like this: It is so stupid, it's endearing. Just like "Golden Gophers" and any number of dumbass college and high school mascots. I mean, really, wtf is a Buffalo "Bill" anyway? I would like to have a logo and sweater more in keeping with the tradition of the original one, which I consider to be very "Original Six"-like. But until we get something better, the silly logo is perfectly in keeping with the underdog image of the city.

The Bills are named after "Buffalo Bill" Cody, the famous cowboy who used to travel from city to city doing cowboy shows in the late 19th and early 20th century

As for the city, Buffalo is a city that's all about tradition and things being passed down from generation to generation. If you live here, that means you're from here (just like your parents and grandparents). Leave the trendy, abstract, goofy 21st century logos for cities populated by implants who are obviously open to new things and have less interest in tradition.

The Bills are named after "Buffalo Bill" Cody, the famous cowboy who used to travel from city to city doing cowboy shows in the late 19th and early 20th century

As for the city, Buffalo is a city that's all about tradition and things being passed down from generation to generation. If you live here, that means you're from here (just like your parents and grandparents). Leave the trendy, abstract, goofy 21st century logos for cities populated by implants who are obviously open to new things and have less interest in tradition.

Good points. On a side note, I lived in Orlando for three years, and I can honestly say I found no real sense of community anywhere in O-Town, thanks to the tremendous number of transplants constantly moving in and out of the city. Never was this more evident than in the summer/fall 2004, when three hurricanes hit Orlando. Some of the smaller, older neighborhoods banded together and helped one another out, but I never saw any of that "pull together spirit" that you see in WNY after even the most basic lake effect snowstorm. I could not wait until I could get as close as possible back to my roots - even if it meant enduring a higher tax burden and bad winters - because the people here are some of the best in the country.

BTW, even though some of our anti-slug people are softening, I hold no ill will toward you. But though I won't actively bring the slug talk into every thread and forum, I promise I won't get over it, because this team, this city, these fans - we all deserve better than this Rbk-inspired crap, crap that we are apparently supposed to run right to the Sabres Store and blindly turn over our hard-earned cash for. Sorry, Rbk & LQ - in this case, we're not all buying what you're selling.

It's not going to get to the point where Buffalo fans are beating up other Buffalo fans for wearing a slug jersey, is it?

I don't know about beating anyone up, but it could result in some serious ridicule for being caught wearing slug merchandise. :lol: :lol:

Archived