Is this team injury prone?

PASabreFan

Relax. It's just me, the chronic neurotic worrier here.

But I'm starting to wonder about some kind of curse over this group. We've played three preseason games and already Briere is out; Max takes a knee on knee hit and reportedly suffered only a charley horse, although that's unconfirmed as far as I know; Kalinin was lying in a heap (just a stick to the face or something, but a scary sight that adds to the paranoia). And Timmy is not getting better, at least not well enough to be close to playing.

Am I nuts? What in the name of Frank Christie is going on here?

When you are a smaller player who goes 100% all of the time, which the Sabres team is made of, injuries happen.

That's why the depth of this team is so important. If Timmy stays out and Max misses some time then players like Ryan and Paille need to step right in and fill the void.

After last season injuries don't worry me as much. I expect the young players to pick up the slack. ;)

Hey, rick, stick THIS in your fusebox. You want positive? After we came within a Tim Connolly concussion of winning the Cup (IMHO), I was one of the very few voices on this board, easily outnumbered 10 to 1, who wanted Tom Golisano to make a serious, big-time investment in this team and make a run at a Cup as a way of breaking the small-market albatross that has hung around our necks for years. Wanting your team to do what it takes to win a championship instead of fretting about a multibillionaire's bottom line, going against the tide of low expectations -- it doesn't get any more positive than that. By the way, just how positive can someone be when talking about the injury history of this team? It's not the cheeriest subject, but it has to be factored into any preseason analysis of the Sabres. Sorry to bring you down.

DeLuca, those are good points. But how deep can depth go? Remember we lost a number of NHL and NHL caliber players and added only Spacek. If we have another spate of injuries, it's going to be a supreme test of our depth. Do we have a bottomless cup of talent? No, especially on defense. But I wouldn't put it past this organEYEzation to overcome injuries again. Faith was the great gift these guys gave me last year.

There, rick, did that warm your cockles? :)

Any sports fan realizes that injuries are part of sports. So why engage in the topic. It is what it is.

Yes injuries cost us the Cup last year, anyone who knows hockey can see that.

But lately all your posts have been negative. IF you don't believe me, re-read yourself.

Complaining about the logo. We all did, but most have moved on. You cannot seem to get over it, so you continue the negative posts about it. It's tired.

Nobody wants to see guys get hurt. It sucks. But let's not get carried away, just yet. It's early. Nobody has been ruled out longterm except Connolly.

The Sabres are deep. They have talent and overcame many injuries last year. They'll do so again. See, that was positive.

As for wanting ownership to spend more. I am with you there. But wanting that doesn't mean I'm being positive or negative. It means I want the owner to buck up too.

Life is good, isn't it? Let's change the tone of the board and get positive.

Hey, rick, stick THIS in your fusebox. You want positive? After we came within a Tim Connolly concussion of winning the Cup (IMHO), I was one of the very few voices on this board, easily outnumbered 10 to 1, who wanted Tom Golisano to make a serious, big-time investment in this team and make a run at a Cup as a way of breaking the small-market albatross that has hung around our necks for years. Wanting your team to do what it takes to win a championship instead of fretting about a multibillionaire's bottom line, going against the tide of low expectations -- it doesn't get any more positive than that. By the way, just how positive can someone be when talking about the injury history of this team? It's not the cheeriest subject, but it has to be factored into any preseason analysis of the Sabres. Sorry to bring you down.

I have to admit, I never thought he would open his pocket book to keep this team together. We should give this off season a name or something, 'The Miracle Summer' or something. We lost a few players but kept the core together and the young players are chomping at the bit to earn a spot on the team and contribute. I'm really glad this team is coming back for at least another season. I'm not going to worry about Drury getting re-signed yet. Though I am worried about it... :blink:

Relax. It's just me, the chronic neurotic worrier here.

But I'm starting to wonder about some kind of curse over this group. We've played three preseason games and already Briere is out; Max takes a knee on knee hit and reportedly suffered only a charley horse, although that's unconfirmed as far as I know; Kalinin was lying in a heap (just a stick to the face or something, but a scary sight that adds to the paranoia). And Timmy is not getting better, at least not well enough to be close to playing.

Am I nuts? What in the name of Frank Christie is going on here?

Injuries are pretty common in knee on knee hits, and sticks to the face. I don't know if you've been paying attention, but injuries have been pretty high around the NHL so far this preseason, not just in Buffalo.

It's not just the preseason that worries me. It's last season. On a related note, it's kind of odd to open camp on a Saturday and play on Monday, isn't it? Seems like a recipe for trouble. Imagine if the Bills played their first exhibition game a couple of days after camp opened.

DeLuca, those are good points. But how deep can depth go? Remember we lost a number of NHL and NHL caliber players and added only Spacek. If we have another spate of injuries, it's going to be a supreme test of our depth. Do we have a bottomless cup of talent? No, especially on defense. But I wouldn't put it past this organEYEzation to overcome injuries again. Faith was the great gift these guys gave me last year.

There, rick, did that warm your cockles? :)

You were positive about wanting Golisano to spend money? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made unsupported claim after claim that Golisano was a cheapskate who was looking to cash in by selling the team. When Golisano stated that he wanted to bring back "most" of the players on the roster, you assumed that he was protecting his wallet, and wrote multiple posts running him down. You never acknowledged that he was in the process of negotiating contracts that would bring the Sabres payroll to the edge of the cap.

I know it's been a long offseason, and in the offseason we fans tend to let our imaginations run away with us, and you led the way, in your 'chronic neurotic worriying' way. ;)

It's not just the preseason that worries me. It's last season. On a related note, it's kind of odd to open camp on a Saturday and play on Monday, isn't it? Seems like a recipe for trouble. Imagine if the Bills played their first exhibition game a couple of days after camp opened.

They opened on a Friday, which 95% of the league did as well. The reason they did this is that players are expected to come to camp in shape. Camp and preseason are to get rid of the rust.

Most of last year's injuries were either freak injuries (Briere, Dumont, Miller), or things that could not be avoided such as knee on knee hits, broken arms and such.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of injuries that came in the playoffs that weren't unavoidable were due to players getting worn out from the condensed schedule in March.

You were positive about wanting Golisano to spend money? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made unsupported claim after claim that Golisano was a cheapskate who was looking to cash in by selling the team. When Golisano stated that he wanted to bring back "most" of the players on the roster, you assumed that he was protecting his wallet, and wrote multiple posts running him down. You never acknowledged that he was in the process of negotiating contracts that would bring the Sabres payroll to the edge of the cap.

I know it's been a long offseason, and in the offseason we fans tend to let our imaginations run away with us, and you led the way, in your 'chronic neurotic worriying' way. ;)

Where to start? Of course my claim that Golisano will eventually sell the team for a nice profit is unsubstantiated. It won't be substantiated until he sells the team. If he doesn't, I will admit I was wrong, as I recently admitted that I was wrong to doubt his commitment to spend what it would take to keep the Sabres largely intact. Listen, I think it's safe to say we were all wrong in our analysis of the situation early in the offseason. Most thought the Sabres would spend a little more than last year. I said I would be happy if the Sabres spent $36 million, and I figured if they did that, they could keep everyone on board, including Jay McKee. Few foresaw $4 million for Jay and $5 million for Danny Briere. jad, if I'm guilty of not acknowledging "that he was in the process of negotiating contracts that would bring the Sabres payroll to the edge of the cap," would you please cite your post in which you acknowledged that? I still wonder about Tom though. He was seen picking up discarded lottery tickets at a Red Apple convenience store parking lot last weekend.

The thing about depth is that you hope to never have to use it. The Sabres have as deep of a franchise as any team in the NHL. That's all you can ask for. Ask any player on any team about the upcoming season and they will start by saying "If we stay healthy".

Injuries suck when they happen. You can't worry about them though. They are going to happen. You can't prevent them. I guess the only way is to play scared. Never fight for a puck. Never block a shot or skate across the middle.

The thing I love most about this team is that injuries will never be used as an excuse. No matter how many guys were hurt at the end of the last playoffs. This team expected win. They expected the new players to step in and step up. ;)

The problem with depth is that the player that went down with an injury is better than the guy replacing him. The more you have to dip into that "depth pool" the weaker your team becomes. Otherwise these players would have been playing in the first place. Either skill wise or experience wise your team is due to suffer at least a little bit.

The problem with depth is that the player that went down with an injury is better than the guy replacing him. The more you have to dip into that "depth pool" the weaker your team becomes. Otherwise these players would have been playing in the first place. Either skill wise or experience wise your team is due to suffer at least a little bit.

Tell that to Wally Pip :rolleyes:

You could be Jay McKee or Ottawa's Corvo. ;)

Or the Tropical Depression's with Kaberle and Stillman.

Really we are in pretty good shape all things considered.

There is plenty of depth to roll 4.

And 3 sets of a number 1 D pairings.

We even have the best backup goalie in the league.

I think you are going to enjoy this Autumn, PA.

I really dont think we are any more or less injury prone than most other teams... All around the league it seems there have been more injuries and if I had to guess a reason it would be because guys are moving faster more often because of them not allowing holding and trapping etc...

Players are skating faster more often which can lead to a greater percentage of collisions that take place at higher speeds...which in turn would probably lead to more injuries...nothing in proof, just a theory I have...

You have to look at man games lost, and we were way up there last year.

But you have to consider you have Briere's sports hernia, Dumont's sports hernia, and Miller's broken thumb there. All three of which are not really indicative of being injury prone. Just injuries that happen.

Throw in a couple of knee injuries to Connolly and Hect. There are very few players that would not have had injuries on those plays.

So yes there were a lot of injuries last year, but most aren't injury prone type of injuries.

But you have to consider you have Briere's sports hernia, Dumont's sports hernia, and Miller's broken thumb there. All three of which are not really indicative of being injury prone. Just injuries that happen.

Throw in a couple of knee injuries to Connolly and Hect. There are very few players that would not have had injuries on those plays.

So yes there were a lot of injuries last year, but most aren't injury prone type of injuries.

Your leaving out the biggest freak injury of the season, Mckee's Staph infection. Who expected that to happen? It was one of those injuries that just screams "The Hockey gods don't want us to win"

You are right. My bad. If you throw out all those significant injuries, the Sabres were pretty healthy last year. We just need to avoid the injuries that "happen." Good call.

Well, I don't know a ton about sports hernia's, but I haven't really heard much about them being reoccuring injuries.

It's not every day that a puck deflects funny, misses the goalie's blocker and hits his thumb.

Who wouldn't have gotten hurt on some of those knee injuries?

It's not like we have a Peter Forsberg on out team.

Your leaving out the biggest freak injury of the season, Mckee's Staph infection. Who expected that to happen? It was one of those injuries that just screams "The Hockey gods don't want us to win"

It's one of those injuries that screams "next time, stitch the wound."

i think obvious brings some salutary perspective to the issue of pre-season injuries -- we had a bunch of them last year, and things turned out just fine. not to say we can repeat that trick this year, but it shows to go that the injury bug is not the death knell of the season.

It's not like we have a Peter Forsberg on out team.

and as i read on ... lmao.

Archived