Is this team injury prone?

PASabreFan

i think obvious brings some salutary perspective to the issue of pre-season injuries -- we had a bunch of them last year, and things turned out just fine. not to say we can repeat that trick this year, but it shows to go that the injury bug is not the death knell of the season.

and as i read on ... lmao.

I was torn between Forsberg and Lindros.

On the subject of sports hernias. Does anyone know a lot about these? I know the basics. I have never heard of these being recurring injuries. Am I wrong?

On the subject of sports hernias. Does anyone know a lot about these? I know the basics. I have never heard of these being recurring injuries. Am I wrong?

I know a little more than nothing about them -- that said, here is what I can say: My uncle's been a general surgeon for the last 25 years. He grew up in Buffalo, and was a Sabres fan from the beginning. Early on in his medical career, he regularly served as the in-game doctor for both the Aud's patrons (sometimes that young man from Blasdell got his souvenier the hard way) and for the team (although the trainer can usually take care of stitches). Last year, when we were throwing back a few cold ones during the heart of the hockey season, he remarked on Dumont's and Briere's injuries. He said he'd repaired just about every kind of hernia there is ("herniations" can apparently occur in all kinds of places (not just in and around your 'nads)), but that this thing called the "sports hernia" was something he'd never heard of until recently. He said he researched what the injury was and what the surgery entailed in his medical journals, but still was unclear on the subject. Basically, he seemed somewhat skeptical about the injury and procedure.

Anyway, I realize now that my post has no point other than to say this: My uncle offered that hernia repairs are generally solid as long-term fixes for whatever the problem was -- the stuff they use to close the hole, repair the gap, is strong stuff, and it doesn't give way. There is always a concern that the area adjoining the surgically-repaired area might be compromised, but he seemed to think that was uncommon.

Archived