Need to shrink a hat!

PASabreFan

Short of my head getting any bigger, which seems unlikely, I am in trouble with my new Sabres hat. I ordered the classic blue and gold easy fitted hat from lids.com. Great hat! Low profile, nice and soft, and it actually looks blue. Nice logo too. But the medium is just a hair too big. It fits OK for normal use, but if I do anything in it that makes me sweat, notably watching a Sabres game, I know it's going to slide down my head and make me look like a wigger. Any ideas on shrinking the thing a bit? Can it be washed? Hot water? Cold water? Madge, you're soaking in it. Calgon, take me away!

If I shot myself in the head and ended up looking like Jim Brady, I would have a tough time getting the right fit.

See, that's just wrong. Lord, I apologize.

Dude, what kind of post is that? Bad taste PA, bad taste. Even if you apologized.

Short of my head getting any bigger, which seems unlikely, I am in trouble with my new Sabres hat. I ordered the classic blue and gold easy fitted hat from lids.com. Great hat! Low profile, nice and soft, and it actually looks blue. Nice logo too. But the medium is just a hair too big. It fits OK for normal use, but if I do anything in it that makes me sweat, notably watching a Sabres game, I know it's going to slide down my head and make me look like a wigger. Any ideas on shrinking the thing a bit? Can it be washed? Hot water? Cold water? Madge, you're soaking in it. Calgon, take me away!

PA - I've had this happen before as well, and know it's frustrating. The process that works for me is to get the hat completely soaked in water and then wear it around for a while, letting it dry on your head (obviously, you'll probably want to do this outside). If that still doesn't work, try washing it (I don't know if hot or cold water is better...I would probably try cold first) then dry it on the hottest/highest setting you have. Good luck man

Keep posting, brae. One day you will offer up a clunker. And I apologized to the Lord, not you. Only God can judge me!

topshelf, thanks. I'll try the cold water. We know that shrinks things! "I was in the pool!" Fushetti has that problem, I heard.

maybe a few layers of wax will do? Perhaps lacquer?

If I shot myself in the head and ended up looking like Jim Brady, I would have a tough time getting the right fit.

See, that's just wrong. Lord, I apologize.

i pride myself in keeping up with current events, but i don't know the name jim brady? but if whatever you said insults at least one person than it must have been funny.

i haven't broken in a hat in a while, but i remember having good luck using the dish washer.

oh, and the new jersey/logo sucks......(sorry, i did not see the logo mentioned anywhere in this post yet....)

i pride myself in keeping up with current events, but i don't know the name jim brady? but if whatever you said insults at least one person than it must have been funny.

i haven't broken in a hat in a while, but i remember having good luck using the dish washer.

oh, and the new jersey/logo sucks......(sorry, i did not see the logo mentioned anywhere in this post yet....)

jim brady was the guy who got shot in the head when reagan got shot... this led to permanent brain damage, wheelchair, drool, etc. however, he has championed gun control legislation since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Brady

here's his wikipedia entry... someone can go in there and edit it if they'd like and see how long it takes for the changes to be edited back.

as for the original problem with the hat... wash it in cold water with soap alone... then wash it in hot water and let it air dry. if the hat has any % wool, it will shrink. i'd wash it, put it on wet, as suggested, and do something like cut the lawn or hang out outside so that you're not too uncomfortable wearing a wet hat. I had a new era baseball hat that i shrunk using that method.

Keep posting, brae. One day you will offer up a clunker. And I apologized to the Lord, not you. Only God can judge me!

topshelf, thanks. I'll try the cold water. We know that shrinks things! "I was in the pool!" Fushetti has that problem, I heard.

heyooo

Not judging, PA, mearly my opinion that your post is in bad taste. I'm a PT and have worked more than I wanted to on the Brain injury floor. I apologize if it's not funny to me, I've seen how messed up that sh*@t really is. Especially when you see the family.

On a brighter note - in regard to shrinking the hat - Crusho's right on with wearing it in the shower. Then throw it in the dryer for about 10 mintutes, followed by wearing it for an hour or so. If it's still too big, do it again. I run into the same problem regarding fitted hats all the time, the above technique usually never fails. Just make sure you don't keep it in the dryer too long, it will really shrink.

PA - I've had this happen before as well, and know it's frustrating. The process that works for me is to get the hat completely soaked in water and then wear it around for a while, letting it dry on your head (obviously, you'll probably want to do this outside). If that still doesn't work, try washing it (I don't know if hot or cold water is better...I would probably try cold first) then dry it on the hottest/highest setting you have. Good luck man

THis is what I do also.

Not judging, PA, mearly my opinion that your post is in bad taste. I'm a PT and have worked more than I wanted to on the Brain injury floor. I apologize if it's not funny to me, I've seen how messed up that sh*@t really is. Especially when you see the family.

That's an admirable career, Brae. I and most people could not do it and I'm glad there are people like you who can do it and make it their life's work. Listen... the joke really wasn't about brain injuries or Jim Brady's mental status or his drooling or anything else. It was just the idea of him trying on a fitted hat given the shape of his head. I really don't think it was as horrible as you make it out, but I can see why you're sensitive about it. By the way, his mind is probably sharper than mine and he would probably laugh at the joke. He always displays a good sense of humor when I see him talking on TV.

As for the hat, I did wash it in cold water, then dried it on high heat for about 30 minutes. Nothing. I will try the other methods. It's funny. Women say they don't understand men. But they have no clue how intricate and fascinating our world is. They would not understand all the different ways we try to shrink our hats. This is a world they must not enter, by the way. They must never learn about this side of our personality.

MonkeyGirl... if you are reading this. Forget that you ever read it.

They have some good tips here on caps.

New Era

"Just a little big?

Take a spray bottle of water and spray the headband with the water, then let dry in the sun on top of an empty coffee can. Or, just let it dry without being elevated by the can. You can also dry it with a good portable hair dryer."

Archived