Dumont - Anyone think he can end up back here?

VanekDrury

It all depends on how much Miller and Kalinin sign for.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he signs a 1-year deal with Buffalo for, like, a million.

That way, he'll be a UFA next year at the beginning of the off season, and he can cash in.

His Stanley Cup ring will attract lots of suitors!

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he signs a 1-year deal with Buffalo for, like, a million.

He'll end up making at least whatever his qualifying offer was for. I'm not even sure how much that was for, but I've never heard a word about him being overpayed, so he's worth at least that much. We may not have the cap space, but someone does.

Darcy's priorities seem to be...

#1 Re-sign Miller

#2 Re-sign Kalinin

#3 Trade Biron

#3a Find replacement for Biron

#4 Sign Novotny and Thorburn(forget about Jillson)

#5 Sign goalie prospect Adam Dennis or another journeyman to play goal for the Amerks and provide depth in the event of an injury to one of the top 2 goalies

Darcy's priorities seem to be...

#1 Re-sign Miller

#2 Re-sign Kalinin

#3 Trade Biron

#3a Find replacement for Biron

#4 Sign Novotny and Thorburn(forget about Jillson)

#5 Sign goalie prospect Adam Dennis or another journeyman to play goal for the Amerks and provide depth in the event of an injury to one of the top 2 goalies

Don't forget #'s 6 & 7.

Sign Drury LT and sign Hecht LT.

Don't forget #'s 6 & 7.

Sign Drury LT and sign Hecht LT.

Do you think they can sign Drury to a long term deal and keep Briere on this team? I think Briere and his $5 million have to go first. I can't see Drury signing for less than Briere and I don't see how we can have both under the cap. Thoughts?

Do you think they can sign Drury to a long term deal and keep Briere on this team? I think Briere and his $5 million have to go first. I can't see Drury signing for less than Briere and I don't see how we can have both under the cap. Thoughts?

It's going to come down to keeping one or the other. The only significant amount of money coming off the books for next year is Teppo's $2.6 million and Biron's $2.128 million. Vanek and Roy are going to be up for significant raises. Add to that Drury and Briere's current salaries and that means we have ~$12.8 million that we can use to sign any combination of Drury, Briere, Roy, Vanek, a new backup goalie, and maybe a defensive replacement. Briere and Drury alone would combine for at least $9 million of that.

It's going to come down to keeping one or the other. The only significant amount of money coming off the books for next year is Teppo's $2.6 million and Biron's $2.128 million. Vanek and Roy are going to be up for significant raises. Add to that Drury and Briere's current salaries and that means we have ~$12.8 million that we can use to sign any combination of Drury, Briere, Roy, Vanek, a new backup goalie, and maybe a defensive replacement. Briere and Drury alone would combine for at least $9 million of that.

Unless they can trick us into thinking they spent more than that :blink: ... sorry couldn't help myself, no need to start that over on this thread.

Actually it might not be impossible, but I don't think they will do it because it would mean breaking up some of what they have worked to keep together. It would require Paetsch (or another young Dman) making around the minimum taking Teppo's spot, and finding a taker for Kotalik's salary and maybe one other of the mid-range guys while replacing them with guys at the minimum.

But it's not going to happen and it will be because of the cap, not because they are cheap. The Sabres are going to have more guys making between 2-4 million a year than just about anyone in the league, but it will mean they can't have those high-end stars.

And the big assumption being made for next year is that the cap is going to rise or at the very least stay the same. When in all reality, it very well may go down next year. The GM's and Gary Bettman have said that they were all surprised by the numbers last year and it may very well have been a post lockout temporary uptick to the good. All the teams may have a huge problem on their hands with their LT contracts.

Unless they can trick us into thinking they spent more than that :blink: ... sorry couldn't help myself, no need to start that over on this thread.

Actually it might not be impossible, but I don't think they will do it because it would mean breaking up some of what they have worked to keep together. It would require Paetsch (or another young Dman) making around the minimum taking Teppo's spot, and finding a taker for Kotalik's salary and maybe one other of the mid-range guys while replacing them with guys at the minimum.

But it's not going to happen and it will be because of the cap, not because they are cheap. The Sabres are going to have more guys making between 2-4 million a year than just about anyone in the league, but it will mean they can't have those high-end stars.

That's exactly why they shouldn't keep both in that price range. I'd rather have what we had this year - a deep, talented team that rolls 3-4 lines on a consistent basis, and not what the Flyers, Rangers or Lightning have (or will become) - a team with one above average line (MAYBE two) and three lines of filler.

Personally, I'd lock up Drury LT and try to drive the trade value up on Briere as much as possible - but that's just my opinion.

I don't think I agree that we can't keep both Briere and Drury. Here's my thinking: as of today we have about $24 million for next year committed to 10 players (assuming Al is at about $2.6 million). http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/ Let's suppose:

Another $4 million between Miller and Kalinin and we're at $28 million.

Another $2 million between Paestch (replacing Teppo), new goalie X (replacing Marty) and Mair and we're at $30 million.

Another $10 million between Drury and Briere and we're at $40 million.

That's 17 players. We still need to sign Vanek and Roy. But how much will they cost? Vanek will be 23, Roy 24, each with just 2 seasons of experience. We will hold their rights for another couple of years after next year, right? So couldn't we hold them down to about $1 million each?

If yes, that's $42 million of cap for 19 players. If the cap is $45 million, that gives us $3 million for 4 more guys -- shouldn't that be enough?

Now, I fully recognize that we may not want to spend that much in actual payroll. As I've said before, I am fine with living within a payroll budget that is below the cap in order to avoid big losses. But if we are willing to go to the cap, I think we can do it. Am I missing something?

I think you're way off on Vanek and Roy. Vanek's already at .942 and coming off a 25 goal season. Vanek's qualifying offer will be somewhere between .989 and 1 million. Roy's will be ~700K. If the team wants longterm deals, I'd say you'd have at least a $1.5 million average for the two players. That bumps your final figure up to at least 42 million and things are very tight. I guess its possible, but I don't think the people running this team want a situation like that.

Also, I think your $4 million combined for Miller and Kalinen is a bit low.

Yeah remember we are talking essentially 2 years down the road so while they may get Miller and Kalinin for $4 million combined this season, in 07-08 it will be more. Also, while vanek and Roy will be younger, if Vanek follows up a 25-goal rookie season with 25-30 goals, no way is he taking his qualifying offer and coming to camp no questions asked. He will be one of the top guns the team and want a long-term deal, and quite frankly he will have earned it. they gave them to Pominville and Kotalik this year. If they play that kind of hardball and start telling important players "We still 'own' you, essentially, because you are a young RFA, you'll play for what we say," then they WILL have players wanting to play elsewhere and and not liking it in Buffalo.

Yeah remember we are talking essentially 2 years down the road so while they may get Miller and Kalinin for $4 million combined this season, in 07-08 it will be more.

We're talking about the salary cap, so its the average salary, not what they'll be making each season.

We're talking about the salary cap, so its the average salary, not what they'll be making each season.

Well yeah if they sign long term deals ... if they sign one-year deals they would be RFA's again. Either way your original point holds, if they sign them to long-term deals the average of both is going to be more than $4 million.

I don't think I agree that we can't keep both Briere and Drury. Here's my thinking: as of today we have about $24 million for next year committed to 10 players (assuming Al is at about $2.6 million). http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/ Let's suppose:

Another $4 million between Miller and Kalinin and we're at $28 million.

Another $2 million between Paestch (replacing Teppo), new goalie X (replacing Marty) and Mair and we're at $30 million.

Another $10 million between Drury and Briere and we're at $40 million.

That's 17 players. We still need to sign Vanek and Roy. But how much will they cost? Vanek will be 23, Roy 24, each with just 2 seasons of experience. We will hold their rights for another couple of years after next year, right? So couldn't we hold them down to about $1 million each?

If yes, that's $42 million of cap for 19 players. If the cap is $45 million, that gives us $3 million for 4 more guys -- shouldn't that be enough?

Now, I fully recognize that we may not want to spend that much in actual payroll. As I've said before, I am fine with living within a payroll budget that is below the cap in order to avoid big losses. But if we are willing to go to the cap, I think we can do it. Am I missing something?

First, that assumes that the cap either stays pretty close to what it is now, or goes up somewhat. From what I've heard and read, some people around the league feel like the cap could possibly slide back a little.

Second, even if it does go to $45M, do you really want to be wedged up against it with no wiggle room for injuries or trades? I would hate to break training camp and have to pray each night that someone doesn't get hurt, or worry that we can't improve the team at the deadline without giving up equal salary, which could mean almost anyone on the active roster could be traded simply due to payroll.

Ice Chips for Friday, August 11

Unrestricted free agent forward J.P. Dumont is looking for a contract length of three-years in the $9 to $10-million range but it is believed he will settle for around $2-million per season. Sources indicate the Buffalo Sabres are one of the interested teams. Earlier this month the Sabres used their walk-away option to escape an arbitration ruling awarding Dumont a one-year, $2.9-million contract.

***This is on TSN's website...I'll believe it when I see Darcy's beady little eyes announcing it. I still don't think it will happen, but that's just me ... unless they are planning a few more trades to make room

This bugs me. Why are "sources" seemingly never named? Sure there are times you have to protect your source. But when they are never named, you start to wonder if the source isn't just the latest rumor on the Internet, and the writer is too embarrassed to admit it. Don't sports writers have editors? Are they absolutely no standards in this area of journalism? People live and die by their teams, and we all agree sports has become big business, often involving millions in taxpayer dollars. I think sports fans deserve better reporting than you would see in your local high school paper.

Archived