The elephant in the room

PASabreFan

accept the decision and trade him. even if you get a 6th round pick it's better than letting him walk.

That's the rub. By signing him you have to take a gamble that somebody is willing to pay the guy

2.9 mil per season as well as give up assets to get him.

For most teams right now a 2.9 million contract is a liability.

I am starting to think that the Sabres walk away If Darcy can't package him with Marty.

That's the rub. By signing him you have to take a gamble that somebody is willing to pay the guy

I am starting to think that the Sabres walk away If Darcy can't package him with Marty.

Yup ... opposing GMs are not going to be in any hurry to do the Sabres a favor. Trading for Biron is one thing, he could be someone's starter and at his price that is not a bad deal. But Dumont ... might be worth $2.9 million on the open market, but if he is, why trade for him now? Make the Sabres cut him loose and go sign him, especially since that way you can sign him for more than one season. I am afraid he might get boned on this deal. I bet they cut him loose and he ends up making about $2 million somewhere. But who knows.

Yup ... opposing GMs are not going to be in any hurry to do the Sabres a favor. Trading for Biron is one thing, he could be someone's starter and at his price that is not a bad deal. But Dumont ... might be worth $2.9 million on the open market, but if he is, why trade for him now? Make the Sabres cut him loose and go sign him, especially since that way you can sign him for more than one season. I am afraid he might get boned on this deal. I bet they cut him loose and he ends up making about $2 million somewhere. But who knows.

You trade for him because there is always the chance that someone else will sign him on the open market. There are a lot of assumptions that go into this, but that's your basic explanation right there.

If I was an opposing GM, I would take my chances hoping that the Sabres walk away from JP. I believe you would have to be very desperate for offense to pay JP 2.9 mil, and in addition give up something in a trade to get him. I am assuming that if the Sabres accept the award and trade him, the "no negotiation until 1/1" gets passed on to his new team.

If I was an opposing GM, I would take my chances hoping that the Sabres walk away from JP. I believe you would have to be very desperate for offense to pay JP 2.9 mil, and in addition give up something in a trade to get him. I am assuming that if the Sabres accept the award and trade him, the "no negotiation until 1/1" gets passed on to his new team.

You, sir, are correct.

You trade for him because there is always the chance that someone else will sign him on the open market. There are a lot of assumptions that go into this, but that's your basic explanation right there.

yeah but in August the market is not exactly open. The number of teams that can add $2.9 million for a one-year guy is small. If it was 2 months ago and he was on the market, before teams take shape, he'd have many more suitors. And like Blue said, you can't negotiate a longer deal until January.

I'm not totally disagreeing, hopefully someone likes him enough to deal for him, I just think if it was me I would take my chances and hope he hits the market tomorrow ... worst thing that happens is the Sabres pick up the option and I have to trade for him.

yeah but in August the market is not exactly open. The number of teams that can add $2.9 million for a one-year guy is small. If it was 2 months ago and he was on the market, before teams take shape, he'd have many more suitors. And like Blue said, you can't negotiate a longer deal until January.

I'm not totally disagreeing, hopefully someone likes him enough to deal for him, I just think if it was me I would take my chances and hope he hits the market tomorrow ... worst thing that happens is the Sabres pick up the option and I have to trade for him.

That's what I was getting at when I said there were a few assumptions. I wasn't trying to say there is a market. I was just mentioning why someone would trade for him, if it does end up happening.

Pipes, were you in my company's mailroom yesterday at about 4 p.m.? Cos that's exactly what I said to our operations guy as I was getting some new pens.

Archived