Trade Biron and JP

mis3384

We know we need to trade Biron...but what about JP...I dont think hes worth $2.9...

So we trade Biron and JP...but where? and for who?

ANY IDEAS or Rumors???????

Biron / JP to Blue Jackets for Zherdev / Conklin (or a D-MAN..a prospect)

and then sign Boucher to back up Miller?

We know we need to trade Biron...but what about JP...I dont think hes worth $2.9...

Pass the bong...Columbus is going to give up Zherdev for a guy who received a ridiculous arbitration award and our backup goalie? :huh: :huh:

Biron will probably end up going for a draft pick or a prospect still in juniors or the college ranks. Dumont will probably be allowed to walk. The Sabres don't want to risk getting stuck with his 2.9 mil award.

I think they may get traded in the same deal, but we have to prepare that they are not going to get "value" ... it's going to look like they gave them away, probably for a prospect and a pick ... that's $5 million in salary you are asking someone to take. they would be doing the Sabres a favor in may ways. If columbus really wants to trade Zherdev they could do better than to take on all that salary for two guys who will be free agents after the season.

Then again, if it is Max instead of Dumont ... maybe Columbus considers it. But I doubt it. I'm guessing all total for Biron and Dumont they will come away with like a 4th round pick and a decent prospect.

Do we ship Biron to Vancouver, now that Mika is gone? Just keep funneling the goalies out west!

I agree. Not much is coming in return, no matter how you look at it. Possibly a diamond in the rough up and comer. Tough to see where anyone fits with the talent coming up through Rochester.

Do we ship Biron to Vancouver, now that Mika is gone? Just keep funneling the goalies out west!

I thought of this at first, especially with the "rumors" of a 3-way deal with Van and Edm ... but that would tie up $8 million in goalies for Van and Marty would be PISSED to be stuck behind Luongo ... better off staying here and not uprooting his family for one year because he'd be on the move again next year. meanwhile, Edmonton has Roloson locked up for 3 years ... not sure where Marty would fit on either of these teams.

the Canucks are not paying Biron to play 15 games. Come on now.

Wade Flaherty will win the backup job and get back into the NHL instead of being in the minors. The only reason Wade didn't get called up last year is because of his age, he'd have to go through waivers and the Canucks would have lost him, plus they'd have to pay half his salary too.

Before we give Marty away, would anyone care to tell me who's backing up Miller this season? Keeping Marty would be ideal. How much do you really save by trading him, assuming we end up with a decent backup, which is always nice to have?

Before we give Marty away, would anyone care to tell me who's backing up Miller this season? Keeping Marty would be ideal. How much do you really save by trading him, assuming we end up with a decent backup, which is always nice to have?

Well, there are still a couple decent backups available in FA that could be possible. Boucher? Legace? Dunham? they would all come fairly cheap and be adequate as a backup atleast and play for much less then Biron.

I agree we shoould have some idea of a back-up before Marty is shipped, but I think if we could get a "back-up" for 1.5mil, it would be 600,000 more we could use for Miller. I don't think we have the luxury of having 2 starting goalie salaries this season. I would rather lose Marty than Max, Kotalik etc... I guess I've given up hope of getting a NHL player for Marty, but I can live with what we have so just dumping salary doesn't bother me. Especially if it goes to keeping Miller. And you never know when you are going to get lucky with someone's unproven back up. I remember a guy coming out of Keenan's dog house in Chicago to "back-up" Fuhr a few years back...

(no I don't think another Hasek is out there, but I don't think we will get stuck with another Essensa, either)

Sabresince70, remember what Forrest Gump said about life? It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Same thing here. You really don't know what you're going to get when you go bargain-hunting for a backup goalie. You know what you have in Marty Biron. To save a relatively small amount of money, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Does anyone really think Marty would tolerate staying in Buffalo? He would not. His time as a favorite son has passed. He wants out. If they keep him it would become a distraction to the team. Not good. Based on last year, this group of players thrives on the chemistry concept and keeping Biron would eat away at that. I also think the best you could hope for in any Biron trade situation is a decent prospect. And the Sabres should have no fear in trading him anywhere...including the East.....if he's so good ...why isn't he the #1 goalie.

THE SLUG MUST DIE!

Another new poster! It's great to see some of you wallflowers coming out of the, uh, woodwork. I've never understood those who lurk. Come in, the water's fine! Well, I would stay away from the immediate vicinity of inkman. The water tends to be just a bit warmer around him for some reason.

I completely agree with not knowing what you are likely to get, but do we know what we will get from Marty?(or even Miller, for that matter). I believe there was an article somewhere about a month ago indicating that Marty was ready to move on. I can't imagine him wanting to be a back up, and I can't believe that Miller would want anything less than being the "#1" guy. I also don't think 600,000 is a little bit of money (if we were that far apart in negotiations with Miller, would you want to keep him, or have him sit out, ala Peca?). I have nothing against having Marty as a "back-up", I just don't think it is practical. If TG goes the limit and has a 44mil payroll, great. My point was that IMHO the entire 2.1 could be spent on a back up and the remainder spread among those that need to be signed (Miller/Kalinin)

Archived