Arbitration Alert: J.P. Dumont

PTS

If that signing is correct (and it sounds reasonable), then the Sabres are sitting at ~32.9 with 18 guys signed and would be at ~42.9 if everyone else comes back in real $ terms.

For Salary Cap $'s, I'm assuming Ryan's deal is 3 years averaging 2.5, Dmitri's deal averages 2.0, and Mair averages 0.8. Using Danny and MacArthur to round out a group of 23, that would put the team's salary cap cost at ~$47.1.

Something has to give here boys. They can't all come back.

If that signing is correct (and it sounds reasonable), then the Sabres are sitting at ~32.9 with 18 guys signed and would be at ~42.9 if everyone else comes back in real $ terms.

For Salary Cap $'s, I'm assuming Ryan's deal is 3 years averaging 2.5, Dmitri's deal averages 2.0, and Mair averages 0.8. Using Danny and MacArthur to round out a group of 23, that would put the team's salary cap cost at ~$47.1.

Something has to give here boys. They can't all come back.

Bye bye Biron, Bye Bye Dumont. That's $5.0 million right there.

Per WGR 550.

I hate to say it, but I doubt JP will be back. I bet the Sabres sign and trade him. He's too good to just let go.

That is on the high side of what I was expecting.

Nice raise for him.....

but packaging him with Biron does save some serious coin in a trade package.

I would love to know how the arbitrators are doing their math -

100,000 per goal projected at 29 a season?

I'd say that you've got little chance of keeping Dumont or Briere to be honest.

The jump from $29M to $44M is not something I expect Golisano to swallow, I just hope whatever Regier can get in return for both of them will fit better into the cap an/or the future of this team.

I think three will go via trade or being left to walk, including Biron and Briere.

I'd say that you've got little chance of keeping Dumont or Briere to be honest.

The jump from $29M to $44M is not something I expect Golisano to swallow, I just hope whatever Regier can get in return for both of them will fit better into the cap an/or the future of this team.

I think three will go via trade or being left to walk, including Biron and Briere.

Well they are stuck paying Biron, even if they cut him, his deal is signed and guaranteed ... Briere and Dumont they could let walk, in theory.

I still think Max is going to get dealt ... he is very attractive at that salary, whereas Dumont is not only probably overpaid but a free agent after this season. I also think you can't discount the fact that by keeping him around perhaps it gives them a shot at Briere in January since they are buddies, although I would do him no favors at this point.

Well they are stuck paying Biron, even if they cut him, his deal is signed and guaranteed ... Briere and Dumont they could let walk, in theory.

I still think Max is going to get dealt ... he is very attractive at that salary, whereas Dumont is not only probably overpaid but a free agent after this season. I also think you can't discount the fact that by keeping him around perhaps it gives them a shot at Briere in January since they are buddies, although I would do him no favors at this point.

I think it makes absolute sense to keep Max. It is a good deal for Buffalo and it gives

the organization some cost certainty - unlike Dumont who is already looking to cash in next

year.

To pay Dumont 2.9 may be overpaying, but it isn't by too much.

I think he'll get signed and moved. He is a top 6 forward for just

about any team in the league.

I think it makes absolute sense to keep Max. It is a good deal for Buffalo and it gives

the organization some cost certainty - unlike Dumont who is already looking to cash in next

year.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to keep him, just that it also makes him much more attractive to others.

year.

Agree on all points. I'm a little worried about being able to trade J.P. at that price, but I think they'll be suitors.

<outlandish scenario>

Detroit trades us Groinsy and his $0.75M salary aong with some prospects and/or picks for J.P. and Biron.

Huh?

</outlandish scenario>

Yeah....Sorry about that, but crazy has to come out somewhere and my fellow employees don't do sports. :)

Agree on all points. I'm a little worried about being able to trade J.P. at that price, but I think they'll be suitors.

<outlandish scenario>

Detroit trades us Groinsy and his $0.75M salary aong with some prospects and/or picks for J.P. and Biron.

Huh?

</outlandish scenario>

Yeah....Sorry about that, but crazy has to come out somewhere and my fellow employees don't do sports. :)

And then the Buffalo News brings back Jim Kelley and they fight at center ice before the opener ...

I'm not even sure about sign-and-trade; would another team be willing to pay $2.9M for Dumont?

I think some team would value Dumont at 3 mil per year. The only problem is, with him only being under contract to the Sabres for one year(if they accept the award), I don't know how much he will bring back in return.

I wonder if we'll see a little flurry of activity around the league after the arbitration dust settles. Some other teams probably have people they don't want to keep or can't keep so maybe we'll have some dance partners between now and October. I'm also wondering about if we can't keep Danny B. what will happen when Chris Drury's contract comes to end? He'll want some big cash too and won't he be a UFA? Will that be next year? I think if we lose both it wouldn't be too good for us. I don't think we'd let anybody walk for free without getting something in return.

I'm not even sure about sign-and-trade; would another team be willing to pay $2.9M for Dumont?

If a team is willing to give Havlet $6 million I'm sure a team will give JP $2.9.

Anyway. I would love to know which Magic 8Ball they use to pass out these awards.

Dumont has 9 less goals and 15 less assists then Briere in 32 more games. That equals a $2.1 difference in pay?

Quick question.

The Sabres don't have to decide until 48 hours after the last award is given out. What if the Sabres sign Mair tomorrow. Do they then have until Saturday? :unsure:

Do you think if I go to the HR dept. at work and tell them I can only work half the year because I have a sports hernia, but I'll work really hard for that half a year, they'll give me a 200% raise?

Seems to have worked for Danny and J.P.

Do you do a job that fewer than 1,000 people in the world can do? Would people pay a couple hundred dollars to watch you do your job for a couple of hours? Do you and your co-workers generate a several billion dollars in revenues each year? Can you media interviews in two languages? I think you see where this is going... Good luck with the raise.

Do you do a job that fewer than 1,000 people in the world can do? Would people pay a couple hundred dollars to watch you do your job for a couple of hours? Do you and your co-workers generate a several billion dollars in revenues each year? Can you media interviews in two languages? I think you see where this is going... Good luck with the raise.

Well yeah but by that logic Peters deserved a 200% raise ... he even does interviews in English and Goon ...

Everything is relative. It is quite a large raise given the guy scored 40 points. Drury has to be ticked he couldn't go to arbitration, he may have gotten $7 million with these arbiters.

If a team is willing to give Havlet $6 million I'm sure a team will give JP $2.9.

Anyway. I would love to know which Magic 8Ball they use to pass out these awards.

Dumont has 9 less goals and 15 less assists then Briere in 32 more games. That equals a $2.1 difference in pay?

Quick question.

The Sabres don't have to decide until 48 hours after the last award is given out. What if the Sabres sign Mair tomorrow. Do they then have until Saturday? :unsure:

Yes.

Archived