Logo outcry typifies Buffalo's "Lost in Past" mindset

LexLuthor871

For the record, I too like the early Celcius designs (no problems with) and would be really in favor of seeing the red and black uniform designs (Goat Head, etc.) perhaps integrated into a third jersey as has been suggested here. That way two eras of Sabres tradition could be recognized. That being said, the proposed new design certainly doesn't offend me. It's certainly not worth all the negative media attention. Doesn't Buffalo have enough problems to worry about?

As an observation, however, I think this kinda obsessive outcry over the old uniforms illustrates how Buffalo, as a community, has this weird obsession with digging way back into its past at the expense of moving forward, advancing and progressing like other areas that show flexibility and willingness to change. Failure to look ahead has impeded so much progress, and has thwarted what is in the city's best interest; as one example, I'll cite those houses near Elmwood(?) they wouldn't tear down in the name of "tradition", thus keeping those new potential businesses away.

I really in my opinion think it's all part of a real shortsightedness. It's this whole mentality that reflects lack of vision and a failure to even consider the future possibilities. That's really a main reason why Buffalo is in such a mess and why people like me have been force to relocate. Failure to look ahead has doomed the city of Buffalo. The leadership is abominable and some of the provincial old time things that are clung onto are really comical.

People are going to say I'm crazy to associate the two issues here but I don't think so. The flood of outrage over going back to a jersey (and out of date colors for that matter) designed in 1969 speaks volumes about this aversion to all things new and progressive. It's a mindset that keeps the City of Buffalo buried in the dark ages while the rest of society moves forward. It really gets a little crazy after awhile.

For about the 1,000th time -- the problem isn't that the new logo isn't the old one, it's that the new logo is crap. There is no aversion to something new and progressive. There is an aversion, however, to something that hideous. You are so far off base, it's not even funny at 12:12 a.m.

For the record, I too like the early Celcius designs (no problems with) and would be really in favor of seeing the red and black uniform designs (Goat Head, etc.) perhaps integrated into a third jersey as has been suggested here. That way two eras of Sabres tradition could be recognized. That being said, the proposed new design certainly doesn't offend me. It's certainly not worth all the negative media attention. Doesn't Buffalo have enough problems to worry about?

As an observation, however, I think this kinda obsessive outcry over the old uniforms illustrates how Buffalo, as a community, has this weird obsession with digging way back into its past at the expense of moving forward, advancing and progressing like other areas that show flexibility and willingness to change. Failure to look ahead has impeded so much progress, and has thwarted what is in the city's best interest; as one example, I'll cite those houses near Elmwood(?) they wouldn't tear down in the name of "tradition", thus keeping those new potential businesses away.

I really in my opinion think it's all part of a real shortsightedness. It's this whole mentality that reflects lack of vision and a failure to even consider the future possibilities. That's really a main reason why Buffalo is in such a mess and why people like me have been force to relocate. Failure to look ahead has doomed the city of Buffalo. The leadership is abominable and some of the provincial old time things that are clung onto are really comical.

People are going to say I'm crazy to associate the two issues here but I don't think so. The flood of outrage over going back to a jersey (and out of date colors for that matter) designed in 1969 speaks volumes about this aversion to all things new and progressive. It's a mindset that keeps the City of Buffalo buried in the dark ages while the rest of society moves forward. It really gets a little crazy after awhile.

Sort of like Comic Book characters from the 60's that have to be brought back time and time again, because people can't see the progression in that Japaneese, Animae crap......right? B-)

For about the 1,000th time -- the problem isn't that the new logo isn't the old one, it's that the new logo is crap. There is no aversion to something new and progressive. There is an aversion, however, to something that hideous. You are so far off base, it's not even funny at 12:12 a.m.

What he said.

Get your facts straight before painting us with that broad, incorrect brush. We no likey new logo, don't care about going back to old logo.

You don't follow sports much do you?

Part of being a sports fan is about history and tradition. It's about latching onto a team in your youth and holding through the good times and bad. It's about the memories. For many of us a uniform or logo is like comfort food. You see it and it brings back memories. It's why all of the all-time great franchises like the Yankees, Red Sox, Bears, Packers, Red Wings, Canadians don't mess with their uniforms.

It's about building generation after generation of fans who are held together by what Seinfeld called "laundry".

Have you ever watched a Yankee/Sox game. They scan the crowd and you see a 80 year old and a 20 year old fan wearing the same cap with the same logo. That may not mean anything to those of you who want everything new but it means a lot to us who want to hold onto tradition.

So what if the Cross Swords were made in 1969. It was the logo my late father loved and the logo I grew up to love. Again, part of being a fan are the memories.

I would never begrudge the Sabres their right to increase revenue. I do have a problem with them diregarding those fans that have been there since the begining. I also have a problem with the Sabres turning their back on their own tradition. Sure they don't have any Cup banners but they have a tradition none the less.

And don't confuse issues. The City's problem is a lack of quality leadership. It has been for a long time. One of the great things about Buffalo is it's rich history. It is something to hold onto until we get quality leadership. ;)

It's not just a Buffalo thing. There's been a big nostalgia trend going on for a while now. You see throwback jerseys all over the place now. People miss the goold old days of sports because of what these games have become now. They want to go back to the days when it wasn't all about money. They think that by brining back the old jerseys, they can bring back a piece of those old days. It's not going to work, but there's not much else anyone can do about it.

Sounds like you nailed it - and just before I was about to post my new entry advocating Jimmy Griffin to replace Golisano, bring back that "Talkin' Proud" jingle, and add the route 5 silos to the National Registry of Endangered Species.......

Well, you have some balls to come out with a post like this right off the bat. Of course they are wrong, uninformed, short-sighted, little balls....but balls nonetheless..... :D

heres my reply to this .. something I posted on another board yesterday to a sort of same point ...

The original concept was so perfect in theory, but the visual execution is what was lacking. It was dated, and the time on it was showing after 3 decades. With my work, I tried to take a perfect idea, and make it appear as I always saw it should be in my head.

There was an argument that it wouldn't sell due to the similarities of the older jersey (or in this case, that we shouldn't latch onto the past), heres my answers. First, brand integrity is far more important. Take as a case study the Vancouver Canucks .. a team exactly as old as the Sabres. Their inagural look featured green and blue, with a classic symbol of a rink and stick creating a 'C'. Replaced with a trendy uniform and logo, that can go down in history as one of the worst looking teams in sports, to be replaced by a rather respectable look (using the same black gold and red combo), and then eventually the latest incarnation with another unique color combination and logo.

To be a Canucks fan, you'd have to have own so many different looks, that you could have a rainbow parade in your crowd. Nothing truly representational of the team, and any fan who entered into following from each different era (they barely lasted 10 years with a single look) would consider a different look each as THEIR team. Then compare that to a team like the Leafs, or the Canadiens, or the Red Wings (who by the way, year after year top the chart in jersey sales, despite having kept the exact same look since 1932). They sell, just as Yankees and Red Sox merchandise too for the same reason ... because to own a piece of their merchandise, is not to simply own a jersey, or a hat, or a tshirt ... but its to own a piece of that team, and that history. Its an unconscious feeling that is accompanied with the purchase ... and brand integrity is what creates that feeling.

So to be able to kill two birds with one stone is easily the smartest solution .. retain brand integrity, as well as introduce new merchandise for the fans to get their hands on.

Don't all the uniforms represent the team in a way. You see the uniforms and its a period of time they represent. So the old blue and gold are for the Perraults Gares and lafontaines. While the black and red are for Hasek, Satan, and Mckee. And the new ones could be for the Millers, Pominvilles and Tallinder. I get the brand Identity, but there are entrenched fans already, and you root for the Buffalo Sabres. They aren't changing the name. They wont be something else, they just look different.

The older franchises have a lot more fans, well maybe not in chicago or boston anymore, so that accounts for Jersey sales. Hockey Sweaters aren't like Basketball or NFL Jerseys where its a fashion plate to wear them, so sales numbers are made by the actual fans.

But this town, does tend to look to the past too much to sacrifice its future. And maybe the old design didn't correspond to the new Reebok design.

I think some people on here are missing the point. We had a unneccesary (IMO) switch from the blue & gold 10 years ago, to the corporate colors of Adelphia. And whether some want to act like the team's off-ice problems didn't happen, they did, and I think we came perilously close to losing this franchise. Personally, I want to see them return to the blue & gold of the Buffalo Sabres, not maintain the constant red & black reminder of John Rigas, bankruptcy, players missing paychecks, being the butt of jokes around the league, etc. I'd rather rid ourselves of the stench associated with Adelphia Communications and that sad off-ice era.

My sincere hope is that not only do we get the B&G back, but we also get an updated Buffalo/Crossed Sabres logo, one that is similar to the one my father & grandfather watched, similar to the one the team was wearing when my father took us to our first game at the Aud, when I learned my love for the game, when I used to go to practices at Sabreland.

Its not about looking back, living in the past, whatever BS "backward thinking" label you want to put on it; rather, its about respecting the past, the team's traditions and heritage; respecting the great players that came before this team - all who wore the blue & gold; its about guys who literally gave their hearts & souls for this franchise - ones who tragically lost their lives during their time with the team, and others who nearly died on the ice; and its about saying thanks & paying homage to the two guys who worked so hard to make sure Buffalo got and kept an NHL franchise - Seymour & Norty Knox.

Go ahead, keep accusing us of living in the past, not looking forward, whatever - all I know is that to me, and to many other Sabres fans acrosss the country - its gonna be even sweeter to see the Cup hoisted above blue & gold sweaters.

Go ahead, keep accusing us of living in the past, not looking forward, whatever - all I know is that to me, and to many other Sabres fans acrosss the country - its gonna be even sweeter to see the Cup hoisted above blue & gold sweaters.
Couldn't have said it any better...... B-)

Now, i'm not an expert on jerseys, but I believe the jersey should always represent a team, or a specific era in that teams history. Like mentioned before, the original blue and gold represented a team of amazing hockey players, who with a little fine tuning would have won a Stanley Cup. The black and red represents the Rigas era, and how the high hopes and expectations of each coming season ended in heart-crushing disappointment (much like Adelphia has)- whether it be a terrible season, or losing in the Finals on a goal that shouldn't have counted - the red and black belongs to that era of the team. Even with Golisano, in which our dreams were crushed by mere bad luck.

Now it's time to go back to the Blue & Gold -- but not the same blue and gold. This is the Blue & Gold era with the fine-tuning that would have won Cups in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. This is going to be the brightest era for the Sabres and their fans, and we need nothing more than a fine-tuned blue & gold look.

---

I know you guys don't agree, but I don't care about this new logo. Yeah, I think it's ugly. And no, I don't embrace it. But in the end, when the Sabres raise the cup, does it matter if it's black and red, original blue and gold, or this new thing? It's still our team, and we have no choice but to learn to love the logo.

Go ahead and say I'm not a Sabres fan - but I much prefer rooting for my team based on their players, talent, and heart rather than some stupid jersey they're wearing.

I think maybe 1-5% of Sabres fans wanted to go back to the original Blue and Gold uni's.

Most of us wanted an updated jersey that celebrates the original design and colors, but offers a modern updated appeal. The slug does nothng but infuriates, annoys, and embarasses us.

The "slug" logo proposed horrifies me, and I will not accept it. If the slug does not get a serious make over then I promise not to spend a dime on Sabres merchandise.

Wow, good posts by everyone except the dope that started the thread.

I for one, never wanted to go back to the original jersey concept, but I am in favor of the blue road jersey being our third uni.

First to the starter of this thread, I hate the new logo because it looks like crap. I am not looking back, i'm not wishing it was 1987 again. I just think the Slug looks like #%^$#!.

Secondly, as humanot stated earlier, brand identity is huge and his Canucks analogy is dead on. At the time of the uniform change in 95-96, the Sabres were dearly needing a new look. I don't think any of us foresaw the goathead. If, at that time, a little foresight on the then management's part had rethunk a blue and gold scheme, we may not be talking about this today.

I don't get why people in the Buffalo media, well namely WGR, don't understand why people are so upset. The Sabres management have now twice taken our beloved team's identity (lets be honest, we'd love them if they played in shitwoven uniforms) and crapped on it. My feeling is, after growing accustomed to the Goathead, if the slug is the best option, then stay with the Goathead. The slug represents nothing to me.

I'm also sick of hearing how I need to see the entire package. Yes, i believe this is true to an extent. But, as my good buddy humanot said to me yesterday in an IM. "when the slug is on the whole jersey, is it going to turn white, grow legs, and start running over sabres?" Amen brother.

With that, JUST SAY NO TO SLUGS heyooo

My animosity towards the new logo - aside from posting with you guys - hit its peak two days ago when a friend of mine who works for the minor league hockey team in Houston sent me the slug as an attachment in an email with nothing else but a caption underneath that read "What the F is this?"

Let's not forget that the Original Six teams are still using their original logos. (Well, the Bruins have tweaked theirs a bit). Newer is not necessarily better. Besides, I don't think too many people want the old logo back; just one that is better than the so-called "slug". (I'm in that group).

-Ed <_<

I didn't read every post here, so I may be repeating, and if I am.. eh who cares just dont read it...

First off, the celcius logo... it is the old logo. A lot of you support Slabyk, I like the design don't get me wrong, but it is literally the old logo slightly moderized... big whoop. Slabyk's design is not progressive at all, it is just a very well done attempt to make the old logo look cool. And the othr logos, like the one of the pissed buffalo head.. that crap is ugly, WORSE then the slug, and if you dont think that you need to be taken out back and beaten with a stick...

I think this dude is right to be honest. He's not uneducated or a bad sports fan, he just left something out. If we were to use the celcius logo that seems to be the most popular one (the one just like the original but moderized) then we do not progress, we just recycle. I personally do not want to recycle an era of 1 stanley cup appearance, lots of losses to the Boston Bruins, and passing on Kieth Tkuchuk for Brad May (save the May day comments Kieth would have made our team a lot more dangerous) along with a ton of bad decisions and a constant loss of money. Yeah yeah we had the French Connection.. but that was 30 freakin years ago, time to move along... using the Slabyk designs just recycles these memories which may be good for you and your childhood memories but really did not represent massive amounts of glory... 1 stanley cup appearance does not represent glory...

The Goat head era was successful, and showed us moving on, but that was Rigas and we really, I think we can all agree, need to close that book.

This is B-Toms' era... an era where we are to hopefully FINALLY forget lost stanley cups and Tom Draper as our starting goalie (wOOt) and move to something truly progressive.

This guy is right because all of you want to recycle the past for something that looks similar to the past... that is not moving forward, and really how do you value a past full of losing? Losers always try their best and finish second kids.. I'm tired of being a loser and I'm tired of logos that remind me of those painful losses... I want something totally new... The slug isn't ugly it's just incomplete. none of you people have any clue what the final product will look like, just one piece of a large puzzle in the slug. It might suck, and if it is just that slug yeah, guess what it will BLOW but I'm not signing frickin' petitions about something I've seen one piece of... it'd be like looking at a picture of only a single pimple up close, saying whoever has that pimple is *certainly* the ugliest person on earth, and then finding out later it's Tyra Banks, and it is the smallest little pimple on earth and you'd never notice it without a super zoom... now one of you is going to say, "well this isn't a small little nothing, it's so ugly nothing can justify it..." you dont' know that, and until you see the final product you won't know...

See I hate it when SOME of you idiots do this... someone comes on here and tries to make a good point, because really his point is interesting... you dont have to agree with it, but its interesting none the less and should spawn an interesting conversation. But making a point like this gets you scoulded for 2 pages by by some of you, the same people who scolded me for saying the Sabres would be fine last offseason and for defending Darcy and Lindy.. me, the same person who said you all are panicing too much and it will all work out... you all called me an idiot... look who was right? Yes, I am bitter about that, because I've never been so frusterated at my own kind (fellow Sabres fans) before... people that wanted to boycott a team that we are LUCKY to have in this shell of a city because we didn't want to over pay for idiots like Darrien Hatcher who some fo you were just so addament about signing... yeah last time I checked this team full of losers torched his slow ass...

So I make another prediction: the new jersys will come out and look great, or at least certainly not as bad as you all think... and if I'm wrong, like I said last offseason, then so be it, but I wil not be embarassed to be a Sabres fan hahahaha come on now, please kids, that's lame. If it looks bad then we'll all jsut buy the "3rd" jersey and eventually it will send the message they dropped the ball. But until we see the final product all this hooting an hollering is literally over nothing.

PS: I'm not being cocky here by making this annoying prediction... kids I have no clue what this is gonna look like and like all of you I'm a tad worried. And obviously if I didn't like it on here then I'd never post so spare the whole "well if you dont like us or think we're idiots why dont you just leave mr. high and mighty" argument. I'm not calling some of you wrong for not liking this piece of our new uni's... I'm calling some of you wrong for throwing a tizzy at the guy who started this thread, because really his point isn't bad, it's actually pretty good...

Archived