The New Blue and Gold Project

humanot

Has everyone forgotten that apparently the Sabres will unveil a third jersey with the old logo, or a version of the old logo, on it? We should have little confidence they haven't butchered that, too, but assuming they haven't, that unveiling should make "The Slabyk Problem" go away for the Sabres. It seems to me the rallying cry from the fans should be for the Sabres to make the third jersey the primary jersey.

I think people are getting too caught up in how BetweenThePipes is saying things rather than paying attention to what he is saying. He's got a very good point -- throwing a bunch of different designs out there (no matter how professionally done) just complicates the message to the Sabres organization and weakens our hands. Especially when people nitpick and criticize designs that are much closer to what we all seem to agree we want.

Given the brief window of time remaining, the message should be kept simple -- we don't like the slug, we want something reminiscent of the classic uniforms, see Celsius Designs concepts for examples. If the final design sufficiently represents our concerns, we will spend a lot of money on new gear. If it's the hairy slug, we will refrain from purchasing anything depicting it.

I think people are getting too caught up in how BetweenThePipes is saying things rather than paying attention to what he is saying. He's got a very good point -- throwing a bunch of different designs out there (no matter how professionally done) just complicates the message to the Sabres organization and weakens our hands. Especially when people nitpick and criticize designs that are much closer to what we all seem to agree we want.

Here is a better way to look at it...

Eva Longoria

Heidi Klum

Charlize Theron

Jessica Alba

Dennis Rodman

Which one is not like the others?

You don't need to rally around Eva to make the point that Dennis is not a drop dead gorgeous woman. You don't have to argue over tall/short, curvy/straight, blonde/brunette, blue/brown, etc... Any of those combinations can result in great looking female.

The point is making the Sabres organization realize that they have Dennis in a dress and colored hair and not one of the others. It is not tomayto or tomahto. It is tomato or crap. Showing them 50 designs - all of which look nothing like the steaming pile that will be shoved down our throats is enough to send the message that this task is not a hard one, there are many, many answers, but they failed to find one of them.

Has everyone forgotten that apparently the Sabres will unveil a third jersey with the old logo, or a version of the old logo, on it? We should have little confidence they haven't butchered that, too, but assuming they haven't, that unveiling should make "The Slabyk Problem" go away for the Sabres. It seems to me the rallying cry from the fans should be for the Sabres to make the third jersey the primary jersey.

It is fact that the third jersey is going to be the IDENTICAL blue throwback uni of yesteryear.. There have been no alerations to it at all. It will be worn for 10 games

It is fact that the third jersey is going to be the IDENTICAL blue throwback uni of yesteryear.. There have been no alerations to it at all. It will be worn for 10 games

If this is true and they make it readily available it will outsell the ugly thing by a wide margin and in a year or two things will be back how they belong. I know that is small consolation, but it's better than nothing.

If this is true and they make it readily available it will outsell the ugly thing by a wide margin and in a year or two things will be back how they belong. I know that is small consolation, but it's better than nothing.

Hopefully, all they will have to do is get the white uni back in mass circulation and make the new logo a third jersey for the 07 season.

thanks everyone for the kind words and the feedback ... I really appreciate it ...

I didn't that would be practical (as the team could never use it), or appropriate for the team, as even though I wanted the third jersey to be about looking back, I wanted it to be about that in theory and concept, not in literals ... I did however put together a concept that I just opted to include, using the full script from the Buffalo Bisons bottlecap but with a sabres usage ... let me know what you guys think: check it out here

All I can say is "Wow"! :o

I'm not an legal expert. But since that doesn't say Sabres? I think you can market that one. If you do I'll buy one. :)

Correct me, please, if I am wrong, but third jerseys cannot be awarded to teams until new uniform changes have been in the league for two years or more. I highly doubt the NHL would make an exception for the Sabres on this ruling.

That said, I think these designs by Mr. Slabyk are exactly what the majority of fans wanted/expected to see the Sabres use. They are, in my most humble opinion, the best looking designs he has done to date. Or anyone else for that matter. Despite the Sabres refusal to use anything like these, I applaud Mr. Slabyk for these and would have gladly purchased them and worn them with pride. They would have been one of the sharpest looking uniforms in the league.

It would appear that, unlike the Sabres, Mr. Slabyk listened to what the fans wanted and then made a great design to match it.

Correct me, please, if I am wrong, but third jerseys cannot be awarded to teams until new uniform changes have been in the league for two years or more. I highly doubt the NHL would make an exception for the Sabres on this ruling.

I had the opportunity to speak with someone in the Sabres PR department who said that there will be no 3rd jersey for 3 years as per NHL rules.

The following is a pm I sent to Mr. Slabyk:

I'll have to admit I wasn't a fan of your earlier designs. With that being said, I think your newest are right on the money! There are so many people who just want the old uni's back. I think you've given just enough updates that even a purist won't have much to argue. The Sabres will sell these by the truckload, because there is just enough difference between old and new (except for one thing, which I'll get to). I love that you've stuck with tradition as much as you have. I'll miss the royal blue, but I'll sacrifice that, in order to get these great uniforms. NO SLUGGALO!!!

I think I have a good eye for this stuff, so let me make a suggestion or two. I also have a degree in commercial art. How about making the Buffalo in the crest slightly larger. That will separate the new design from the original just a tad more. The third jersey should include some of the elements of the uniforms of the last ten years. The Sabres have scored alot of points with the future ticket buyers (kids) this past season. They identify with those uni's. Scrap the red and black, but save at least one of the logos for the third jersey. The mad cow looks really sharp with blue and gold trim. Your idea for showing Buffalo's hockey tradition in your third jerseys is a good one, but you already have enough retro with the main designs. I like one of your earlier jerseys as a third, with the original blue and gold. You can see one of those ideas in my avatar.

I had the opportunity to speak with someone in the Sabres PR department who said that there will be no 3rd jersey for 3 years as per NHL rules.

Well, if true, that changes the thinking a lot. Now, the crippled polecat must be trapped, taken 100 miles away and released into the woods.

Well, if true, that changes the thinking a lot. Now, the crippled polecat must be trapped, taken 100 miles away and released into the woods.

Sorry, but it must be clubbed and beaten like a big-eyed baby seal.

How many more times do I have to tell you people - the third jersey is the blue throwback from the 70's! PERIOD! END OF STORY!! AS IN DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So whoever you are talking to, doesn't know CRAP

How many more times do I have to tell you people - the third jersey is the blue throwback from the 70's! PERIOD! END OF STORY!! AS IN DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So whoever you are talking to, doesn't know CRAP

From Wikipedia.com concerning the Ducks new jerseys:

There are plans in the future for a new alternate jersey for the 2008-09 season, as the NHL mandates that a uniform change must go two full seasons before adding a third jersey.

Again, I highly doubt the NHL would tell the Ducks they cannot have a third jersey, but would allow the Sabres to disregard this rule it has so far enforced on every other team.

But then again you said differently, so I guess I am wrong.

There are plans in the future for a new alternate jersey for the 2008-09 season, as the NHL mandates that a uniform change must go two full seasons before adding a third jersey.

Again, I highly doubt the NHL would tell the Ducks they cannot have a third jersey, but would allow the Sabres to disregard this rule it has so far enforced on every other team.

If Wikipedia is correct and that is the rule, the Sabres may be getting around that rule by having the "3rd jersey" actually be a "vintage jersey". It would explain why the thing is reportedly "exactly" the same as the old road blues.

Aside to Calloway and others who seem to be in the know: any word on which season's blues we're talking about? (There were minor variations through the years.)

Also, does anyone know what the rules are for how many times a 3rd can be worn and how many times a vintage can be worn? Can a team have home and road vintages? Inquiring minds want to know. :P

If Wikipedia is correct and that is the rule, the Sabres may be getting around that rule by having the "3rd jersey" actually be a "vintage jersey". It would explain why the thing is reportedly "exactly" the same as the old road blues.

Aside to Calloway and others who seem to be in the know: any word on which season's blues we're talking about? (There were minor variations through the years.)

Also, does anyone know what the rules are for how many times a 3rd can be worn and how many times a vintage can be worn? Can a team have home and road vintages? Inquiring minds want to know. :P

As far as I understand it (but can find it nowhere at the moment on the web), you need to be eligible to use "throw-back" jerseys and the Sabres are eligible for them. They were last season at any rate but I don't know if a uniform change effects this or not. Again, I can find no rules concerning this anywhere.

As for when or how often thirds/throw-backs can be worn, here's a quote from Wikipedia on the topic of Third Jerseys:

Once a team has been granted permission by the league to use their new design, they are allocated ten to fifteen games during the season in which they may use their Third Jersey.

On a side note, the Ducks' thirds were doing so well with thier fans they replaced the current home jersey for the second half of the 2005-06 season and during the playoff run. That said, if the Sabres are allowed a third or throwback and if it were the original road blue, we might have hopes of it becoming the home jersey. However, one must remember that the Ducks knew they were changing uniforms the following season and as they used a wordmark as thier new primary. This may have been done more to market the new jerseys by people seeing script shirts for a while, especially with as succesfully as they were playing.

John,

Those are all very cool. I really like them all. You've hit it bang-on again.

Of note, I really liked two of your "alternate jersey" ideas. The scripted "Pepsi-Cap" Buffalo idea, and I really liked the alternate from your original designs with the standing Buffalo on the "Aud-Club-like" shield with the swords beneath and the laces.

Also - having followed this uniform saga in its entirety, does anyone else find it remarkably odd that instead of this being an exciting time for the team and its fans, that it has become the complete opposite? I find it very strange (and I suppose interesting) that in all press conferences/interviews etc. that the Sabres (and Larry Quinn) are forced to spend the entire time on the defensive and in a "re-assuring the masses" mode, instead of a celebratory mode.

As one of the truly concerned fans, I fully understand and appreciate the way the fans have reacted and wouldn't want it any other way. I just find it fascinating that LQ has to get up in front of the media and fans and try to re-assure us. That's just not how it should be.

Anyways, great work John. I'd buy them.

Actually, during Larry Quinn's interview he stated that the Buffalo Sabres WERE the only team to get the third jersey exception. Thank goodness.

Not a big fan of the yellow, I think it needs to be brighter, to really stand out. Other wise its dull and the blue mixes. Makes me shrug my shoulders and go, thats allright I guess. If they just went back to the old ones, I would be like oh really. Whatever. Until I see the final product I will hold my judgement. For me its the colors that do the trick not the logo. I want colors that pop out and that are sharp and crisp.

Archived