Dmitri Kalinin ($1.9)

Toni Lydman ($2.5)

Adam Mair ($900k)

Ryan Miller ($3.0)

Jiri Novotny ($900k)

Jason Pominville ($1.5)

Chris Thornburn ($800k)

(My estimate on what they might get)

My estimates are probably too high for some and too low for others, but if they average out that's another $22,600,000 in salary to add to the $26.9 million we already committed too.

I think Max and JP might be cap casualities.

Well, if you remove Thorburn, Jillison, and Novotny from the total (since they may not be on the opening day roster, and take Biron off the books since he is on his way out, It brings them back to around the cap limit.

This is the problem with having a good team that isn't locked into long term contracts, raises come up and push the payroll up. You can't expect them to go into next season with the same team and a bargain bin budget. To stay successful, you need to be willing to open the wallet, or gamble that the players you let go won't be the key pieces to the puzzle and that the "Cheaper Alternatives" can be just as good

...who has to steal sugar & ketchup packets to continue to turn a profit... :)

He isn't stealing them, He already paid for through the arena, Unless he is stealing them from other restaurants to stock the arena?

Wow ... I can't believe the window of opportunity with this team might end up having been one season ... First we thought they were building to something with a good young team and would be able to keep it together. Then people got afraid management would not pay to keep it together ... now with these arbitration awards they might not be able to keep it under the cap even if they were willing to pay!?!?

You know, arbitration is going to start biting the players in the ass a little bit ... While Max and Dumont might have gotten big bucks on the open market 2 months ago, if they are awarded too much and the Sabres cut them loose this late in the game, there are fewer teams out there with less money to spend because their rosters are more set.

Still Unsigned:

Maxim Afinogenov ($4.4)

Tim Connolly ($2.4)

J.P. Dumont ($2.4)

Paul Gaustad ($1.1)

Jeff Jillson ($800k)

Dmitri Kalinin ($1.9)

Toni Lydman ($2.5)

Adam Mair ($900k)

Ryan Miller ($3.0)

Jiri Novotny ($900k)

Jason Pominville ($1.5)

Chris Thornburn ($800k)

(My estimate on what they might get)

My estimates are probably too high for some and too low for others, but if they average out that's another $22,600,000 in salary to add to the $26.9 million we already committed too.

I think Max and JP might be cap casualities.

Wow, I know you said you may be off on a few, but really I think you may be over-spending...

Maxim Afinogenov ($4.4) - About right, though I think if we sign him long term he could come abit cheaper... maybe 3.5 - 4.0

Tim Connolly ($2.4) - Whoa there... I doubt he'll get this much considering how injury prone he is... I know he's looking for a long term deal and I think the starting number is about 1.8

J.P. Dumont ($2.4) - About right... I don't see him being on the team by season's start

Paul Gaustad ($1.1) - $1.1m for a 4th line center????... hah... I'd say 700k to 800 k tops most likely less

Jeff Jillson ($800k) - Will not count against the cap if he starts in rochester, only counts if he's on the active roster... Honestly I don't see the sabres giving him too much of a raise if any since we'll have 3 rooks down in rochester chomping at the bit to get ahead of him on the depth chart

Dmitri Kalinin ($1.9) - Spot on... hopefully cheaper considering the lackluster season he gave us last year

Toni Lydman ($2.5) - If we don't sign him long term he'll end up with about this much, but I see him signing long term for tallinder money

Adam Mair ($900k) - close but I'd say he'll be more along the lines of 600k - 750k

Ryan Miller ($3.0) - I hope he gets more towards the 2.5 range, but if you average out his contract I'd say he'll be right around there.

Jiri Novotny ($900k) - won't count against the cap unless on the opening roster

Jason Pominville ($1.5) - Considering it was his first NHL season I'd say he'll be closer to 1.1mil

Chris Thornburn ($800k) - won't count against the cap unless on the opening roster

Adding all my numbers up Minus dumont and all likely AHLers were looking at only $14.750M and as of right now we have only almost 19mil locked up... add Briere to that... its 24mil, but he isn't signed yet and you can't add Mancari or MacArthur or any AHlers to the payroll unless they play in the nhl since they don't play in the NHL yet they don't count against the cap.

Wow, I know you said you may be off on a few, but really I think you may be over-spending...

Maxim Afinogenov ($4.4) - About right, though I think if we sign him long term he could come abit cheaper... maybe 3.5 - 4.0

Tim Connolly ($2.4) - Whoa there... I doubt he'll get this much considering how injury prone he is... I know he's looking for a long term deal and I think the starting number is about 1.8

J.P. Dumont ($2.4) - About right... I don't see him being on the team by season's start

Paul Gaustad ($1.1) - $1.1m for a 4th line center????... hah... I'd say 700k to 800 k tops most likely less

Jeff Jillson ($800k) - Will not count against the cap if he starts in rochester, only counts if he's on the active roster... Honestly I don't see the sabres giving him too much of a raise if any since we'll have 3 rooks down in rochester chomping at the bit to get ahead of him on the depth chart

Dmitri Kalinin ($1.9) - Spot on... hopefully cheaper considering the lackluster season he gave us last year

Toni Lydman ($2.5) - If we don't sign him long term he'll end up with about this much, but I see him signing long term for tallinder money

Adam Mair ($900k) - close but I'd say he'll be more along the lines of 600k - 750k

Ryan Miller ($3.0) - I hope he gets more towards the 2.5 range, but if you average out his contract I'd say he'll be right around there.

Jason Pominville ($1.5) - Considering it was his first NHL season I'd say he'll be closer to 1.1mil

Chris Thornburn ($800k) - won't count against the cap unless on the opening roster

Adding all my numbers up Minus dumont and all likely AHLers were looking at only $14.750M and as of right now we have only almost 19mil locked up... add Briere to that... its 24mil, but he isn't signed yet and you can't add Mancari or MacArthur or any AHlers to the payroll unless they play in the nhl since they don't play in the NHL yet they don't count against the cap.

Good point, I didn't even notice that the NHLPA website had AHLers on there. However, I realize against the cap they don't count but I'm sure the Sabres consider them against their internal cap.

Ryan Miller might want big money. He really played well last year

Good point, I didn't even notice that the NHLPA website had AHLers on there. However, I realize against the cap they don't count but I'm sure the Sabres consider them against their internal cap.

But you also have to remember that while they're playing in Rochester, they're making a lot less due to their 2 way contracts.

How much are the Sabres going to spend? The NHLPA Page has us up to somewhere around $26.9M. although I doubt all of those salaries will count...

;)

Here is my guess for guys not likely to be sent down:

Maxim Afinogenov

$2,813,472

Tim Connolly

$2,686,269

J-P Dumont

$2,500,000

Paul Gaustad

$841,890

Dmitri Kalinin

$1,600,000

Toni Lydman

$2,300,000

Adam Mair

$650,000

Ryan Miller

$1,250,000

Jason Pominville

$841,890

Jiri Novotny

$495,000

Ryan and Max strike longer term deals that will force Briere out in 07, but allow another run...

It puts us at $42.3M. Very doable if they want to win now.

;)

Here is my guess for guys not likely to be sent down:

Maxim Afinogenov

$2,813,472

Tim Connolly

$2,686,269

J-P Dumont

$2,500,000

Paul Gaustad

$841,890

Dmitri Kalinin

$1,600,000

Toni Lydman

$2,300,000

Adam Mair

$650,000

Ryan Miller

$1,250,000

Jason Pominville

$841,890

Jiri Novotny

$495,000

Ryan and Max strike longer term deals that will force Briere out in 07, but allow another run...

It puts us at $42.3M. Very doable if they want to win now.

What did they spend last year? 29 million? You really think Tom's gonna shell out an extra 13 million?

Still Unsigned:

Maxim Afinogenov ($4.4)

Tim Connolly ($2.4)

J.P. Dumont ($2.4)

Paul Gaustad ($1.1)

Jeff Jillson ($800k)

Dmitri Kalinin ($1.9)

Toni Lydman ($2.5)

Adam Mair ($900k)

Ryan Miller ($3.0)

Jiri Novotny ($900k)

Jason Pominville ($1.5)

Chris Thornburn ($800k)

Those are high numbers for Guastad and Pomminstein.

The rest look pretty good.

A few thoughts:

1. forget about the salary cap. Not relevant. It is the Sabres' internal budget that is going to drive all decisions. No one knows what their number is, but I'm guessing it's in the $36 - $38 million range, representing an increase above what I think their original plan was (which I'm guessing was in the $34 million range).

2. I'm guessing that we swallow hard and keep Danny next year. It's becoming very clear though that this means Max and JP are going to be let go. This could change though if Max agrees to a 3-year deal. But I don't think we'll bring back Danny at $5 million and Max at $4 million or whatever he gets from the arbitrator.

3. I don't think Miller gets a big contract this year. I like Miller a lot, but a million goalies have come and gone after having 1 good year, which is all that Miller has produced. I also think we still have plenty of leverage over Miller given his contract status as well as Biron (although I'd be very unhappy if Biron was our starter next year) and that we will exploit that leverage to keep him at $1.25 million or below for next year. Frankly, given the numbers we have no choice.

Archived