Background on the Celsius Design Jerseys

fushetti

With all the speculation and the leaks of the recent logo concepts, John Slabyk's Celsius Design jerseys have again become a topic of hot conversation.

These concepts were created in early 2003 shortly after the Golisano group took over. At that time, John created the concepts for both the Sabres and Amerks and we, as Sabres fans wanted to really get the word out there, start a grassroots campaign, and get the Sabres uniform back to blue and gold. In the span of about 3 months, we got about 5000 signatures and had a full head of steam. During this time, the Sabres actually wore their original blue and gold jersey during the last home game that year at HSBC Arena. John was on 103.3 a few times with Shredd and Ragan and through a family member of mine who met with Larry Quinn, a meeting was arranged.

Well, shortly after the meeting...in fact hours after, John posted about his meeting with Quinn on billsfanzone.com. Now, i'm not the most astute businessman in the world, but this is what, in my estimation, killed the deal for John and made all of our effort moot.

The whole "we" in my story is myself and friends of ours. John, his brothers, my brother and I all grew up together in Lackawanna.

Heres the post I think I did this once before...but most are in the dark in the thread I read earlier.

Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know that I had the oppurtunity to meet with Quinn today over at the Arena, about 3 hours before the press conference to discuss the future of the Sabres uniforms and logos.

We discussed plans to get more direct fan involvement in the logo decision, and what my role could / would be with the development of such logo and jersey options for the Sabres. No substantial conclusion was really reached between us, he did mention that he had already seen the website ( http://www.celsiusdesign.net/sabres ) previous to the meeting, and that prompted him to want to meet with me. He liked what he saw, and he liked the direction I was taking.

The next step is to basically propose my credentials and qualifications and to basically sell myself as the man for the job. I think there are alot of things weighing in my favor for this decision, (almost 4,500 people have already seen my designs and are in full support of them ( http://www.petitiononline.com/bluegold ) for one) and I walked away from the meeting confident that he wanted to work with me on this. So, in the next week or so, I'll be getting a package to him with my credentials for review and then we will see where that takes us.

I want to thank everyone for their efforts and support so far, and I also want to assure you all that I will do my best to make sure every fan gets properly represented in the process of this new logo .. and you will most assuredly have the oppurtunity to voice your opinions on the upcoming logo decision, that can be guaranteed. (god, I sound like a politician).

I wish these could be the jerseys of the future...but theyre not going to be. If you like them, keep signing the petition. Maybe someday we can use it.

Larry Quinn may be pissed at John from Celcius for being a loudmouth, but are you going to force some crappy uni redsesign on the fans because of it?

It's obvious the majority of fans like the Celsius unis. So are the Sabres going to try to reinvent the wheel with the "skunk mullett" logo?

Hey, Larry. Get over it and call John at Celcius back.

PTR

Weren't the old uniforms and logo's "Ugly" according to most people here? They seemed to sell pretty well. Word from alot of the other message boards of other teams is that the old jersey's are on of the better uniforms and alot of them think that the new "Leaked design, Buffalo Mullet ones" are pretty good too

I don't think they are going to have a problem selling those jerseys

I'll tell you what would have an impact...If the Buffalo News did a story on the celsius designed jerseys including pictures of them. Then a much larger part of the WNY population could see what a great alternative they would be.

DING DING!!!! YES!!! I suggested that yesterday. Hell send the design ideas to Tim Russert, get a plug on National TV! ;)

Sorry I missed that post. Good idea! :)

Fruzzati said they tried that route back in 2003 to no avail. The media, especailly in Buffalo will jump all over this. Think about it people. You have a designer who as a labor of love made some amazing logos and jerseys. About 95% of the folks who've seen these designs LOVE them. If I am the Sabres, I am looking at the bottom line, product sales. You get this in the media and expose his design ideas to a new group of fans that didn't know it exsisted. Watch the excitement. See the pressure it puts on the crack marketing department of the Sabres. There is still time.

Wouldn't that say something about us as a fan base? We are that passionate and loyal that we would have a say in the new logo, colors and design?

Just my 2 cents...

DING DING!!!! YES!!! I suggested that yesterday. Hell send the design ideas to Tim Russert, get a plug on National TV! ;)

It's too late - the logo is official and has gone to third pase of prototype months ago. I hate to say it but I got the news today that the romored logo is official and no stopping it. All I can suggest is that nobody purchases the crap. Hopefully the third jersey which will be the old blue and gold will get more play time.

It's too late - the logo is official and has gone to third pase of prototype months ago. I hate to say it but I got the news today that the romored logo is official and no stopping it. All I can suggest is that nobody purchases the crap. Hopefully the third jersey which will be the old blue and gold will get more play time.

Details my friend?

I just don't understand why they wouldn't some how include the sabre in the main logo. It realy makes no sence to me, not that that matters. I don't mind the leaked logo, but I fell in love with the Celcius ones. Either way it sucks that they wouldn't use Slabyk jerseys.

Why wouldn't the "powers that be" survey Sabre fans before committing to a new jersey design. After all, who is it that will be buying the t-shirts, sweatshirts, jerseys, hats etc... that are based on the design? :blink: :blink:

Based on what I have read here, the celsius design(or something like it) would have blown any other design out of the water.

Then again, Tommy G. would have to cough up the money to fund the survey. <_<

hey everyone ... I'm John Slabyk ... the guy who put together the Blue & Gold Project a few years ago.

My friend gave you guys pretty accurate info up there about how everything played out for the most part. But, heres a little more info for you all to understand ....

In the meeting I had with Larry Quinn, he was well aware of my grassroots campaign, and I even discussed using this head of steam to the organizations advantage. Buffalo fans are quite different from say ... Carolina fans. Its an old organization with deep community ties .. this team BELONGS to the fans .. and a new owner should work with that ideal in order to appeal to the fans. It should be treated as though, even though Mr. Golisano supplied the money to buy the team, its more of a LEASE from the fans of buffalo, that its truly THEIR team, and he's just happy to be the guy signing the checks (I don't think this is far from how he truly viewed the situation coming in anyways). This is how I explained it to Larry, and he agreed.

I told him how using messageboards, radio interviews and more "back channels", the fans can now have a direct tie to people directly involved with their beloved team ... its a different business model. Don't sit in the ivory tower and make choices and ask your fans to deal with them, allow them to feel included. This model I wanted to take and use directly to the process of brand / identity development .. not so much that the eventual final design would not be a surprise when rolled out, but enough that the fans would feel and be included in the feedback process, as THEY are the eventual end client.

All of this went over well in the meeting, and we planned a second meeting, then I returned home and informed all those that were hungry for info that there was indeed a meeting, and the man was willing to listen. After that, the second meeting never happened and I was unable to get a hold of Mr. Quinn.

My friends assumption that me talking about that meeting to the fans eventually killed the deal, may be correct, but one foot might not follow the other here. It may have been that they wanted to go with a wider array of what, in their view, would be more 'established and experienced agencies' in this field. It may have been a couple of other things.

My feeling is that if this was the reason that the deal was killed, it was a mistake. And the steps taking in the creation of this new logo (if it is in fact legit .. which I am still inclined to believe this is smoke and mirrors), would show how unwillingness to listen to the fans, and truly gain an understanding of who the Sabres are as a brand can end up with a result that is completely wrong for the team.

If anyone has any questions or comments for me .. feel free to let me know through email: john@humanot.com ... I'll try and respond as quick as I can. Thanks again to all of you who complimet the work, and have supported the project from the start ... I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback and spreading the word about it. Thanks so much.

I have had no plans, despite the tons of requests to put these into production ... I know I could sell alot of tshirts, and jerseys if these were ever produced ... but the legal questions would cause a whole lot of trouble.

I would much rather try and push this through to the Sabres ears again, and possibly meet and talk with Larry Quinn once more to learn what steps they have taken .. and where, if at all, I can be of help in all of this.

If all that doesn't truly pan out ... I wouldn't mind meeting with a lawyer to see where I stand on my rights to sell my designs for fans. I am curious if its something as simple as avoiding using the team name, and NHL emblem. There'd be alot of red tape to work through before that ever happened, and I wouldn't want to anger the Sabres head office at all through doing so.

So for now, no ... but eventually, if all channels are clear and its ok to do so ... perhaps.

Im with quick draw and 95% of the fan base... i would proudly have bought your jersey design and worn it... im now questioning the purchase of this new jersey... we thought red and black was bad?! HA! we don't know bad yet... but we will come september if this proposed design goes through...

I have had no plans, despite the tons of requests to put these into production ... I know I could sell alot of tshirts, and jerseys if these were ever produced ... but the legal questions would cause a whole lot of trouble.

If you could ever find away to legally sell these, I'd buy a number of them for me and my friends and proudly wear THEM to games. Heck, I want to figure out if I can find someone to make me one, just for myself, using your design. Your story reminds me of just how much things can plain ol' suck in this world sometimes. Your "amateur" grassroots designs are 10 times better than the product of that "groupthink" at Sabres Central. Congrats, and keep us apprised.

Shred and Regan were talking about the jersies again this morning and John's name came up a few times. I think they even mentioned something about getting him back on the show.

I'm talking to John right now. He may be on tomorrow at 8:40am.

Archived