Ruff to Shuffle Lines/Lineups...

matter2003

Once again, Vanek is apparently finding himself in Ruff's doghouse, as he will be replaced with Novotny, who will center a line with Kotalik and Afinigenov.

Roy will be moving back to the Drury/Grier line.

Ruff has challenged the Briere line saying they need more from them, and that he's leaving it in their hands to produce.

Also, as many others have reported, Jillson is expected to get the start in place on Numminen and Janik. Ruff seems to think his experience and big shot from the point on the power play can help more than Janik. Expect the third defensive paid to see more ice time as Ruff was not pleased with how the others played when they got some extra time out there.

Mair has been cleared to play, but will not play tonite(maybe Friday).

Connolly and Numminen are still listed as Day-to-Day...

Once again, Vanek is apparently finding himself in Ruff's doghouse, as he will be replaced with Novotny, who will center a line with Kotalik and Afinigenov.

I'm happy fatty-V is sitting again. He hasn't really shown he wants to be playing. His effort has been lackluster at best. I like having Nototny in the line-up, but I'd prefer Mair.

Vanek hasn't done diddly in the entire post-season.

Now, I know he's young, and I could live with his lack of production if he'd play he gave a hoot, and maybe work for a living, but all he does is float around non-stop.

I'll take Novotny any day, inexperienced and less talented, but at least he skates hard.

Vanek needs a few more years I would think, then we'll see if we have another Connolly on our hands, or another Miro.

I don't like Vanek's overall play this playoff season, but I don't think it is a direct result of game 2 - it would be impossible to single out one or two guys for their efforts. I think moving Novotny back into the lineup gives Lindy more flexibility with his lines, gives him a little more speed up the middle, and gives him another good PK'er.

That said, if Vanek ever gets his head on completely straight, he is going to make this team even more dangerous. Now if we could get Max going offensively...

The one thing that continues to puzzle me about Vanek is that for a player his size, he gets knocked to the ice awful easily on the rare occasion that he is involved in physical contact.

I'm sure Don Cherry has an answer for you.

I would think because he's european. All the tough guys in europe play soccer, ski and ride bobsled.....uh.....maybe not.

They drafted Vanek to be a player in the old NHL. Big, slower, good hands around the net. I think Lindy has fallen for speed like it's a drug. Vanek doesn't have enough of it. Track his goals. Has he scored most of his goals in garbage time and/or against bad teams?

He just doesn't seem to have what it takes right now.

I like Novotny a lot. He seems like a fast, spirited, clever player. I think he's a much better fit for this Sabres team right now.

see my thoughts on the line/player shuffling in the game discussion thread. I hope for big things tonight from all the affected p layhers. I also expect peters and vanek to have their sabres earmuffs on to protect their creampuff ears tonight.

Overall, I like the line shuffling back to the good combinations that we had before. Hopefully, it will result in a positive response overall and get their behinds in gear. They better because I'm adjusting my work schedule to fit around these games which start in the afternoon out here.

They drafted Vanek to be a player in the old NHL. Big, slower, good hands around the net. I think Lindy has fallen for speed like it's a drug. Vanek doesn't have enough of it.

If that's the case, then Darcy should get on the horn with Bobby Clarke the second the Cup finals end - I am sure Bobby would pay through the nose for a big, slow YOUNGER player... :D

I think Vaneks problem is that he's burned out. He's a rook, he's not used to a season this long, esp with the added pressure of the playoffs. Some guys (ie Roy, Pominville) can handle it, some can't. He's also gotta be feeling some extra pressure to produce given the billing he had when he was drafted too.

Give him a good, restful offseason, and I think he'll turn it around. He's got the skills, he's just gotta get the mental endurance now.

I think you have to consider what Novotny gives you. When he gets rolling he will hit and forecheck.

Buffalo needs a sustained, beat your ass to the puck every time type of forecheck for the next week to take pressure of the defensive zone.

Novotny will go hard to the net too. When is the last time we have seen Vanek crash the net?

He doesn't have Vanek's talent, but if he plays smart he can be an asset with the big body.

Archived