When Is Connolly Coming Back?

CallawaySabres

for what its worth, today from

COMMENTARY

Sabres become team that fans can count on

5/15/2006

By BOB DICESARE

8. Tim Connolly - Set the tone for the whole series with his Game One heroics that included a dazzling short-handed goal as well as the late marker that forced overtime. Seven days symptom-free is the NHL guideline on returning from a concussion. He'd be cleared for the next series assuming he's suffering no lingering effects. And that he suffered a concussion (wink-wink).

we can only hope at this point. I do agree he's a huge factor in our continued success.

I think its time we face facts here folks. Timmy probably had another concussion. Umberger took an equally large hit and was back playing a few games later. This happened four games ago and not a breath has been uttered about his standings. I really hope I am wrong!

Doesn't look too promising for Connolly - this just out on the AP wire - link at the bottom of the excerpt -

Sabres center Tim Connolly and defenseman Dmitri Kalinin could both miss the start of Buffalo's Eastern Conference finals series against Carolina because of injuries.

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff on Monday ruled out any possibility of Kalinin playing when the best-of-seven series is expected to open at Carolina this weekend. Ruff said Kalinin is still listed week to week after reportedly breaking his ankle May 8 while blocking a shot in Game 2 of Buffalo's conference semifinal series against Ottawa.

Connolly's status is uncertain after the play-making center was also hurt in Game 2 after sustaining what is believed to be a concussion.

"We're hopeful," Ruff said of Connolly, who prior to being hurt, led the team with 11 playoff points (five goals and six assists). "But right now, there's no indication he will be (ready)."

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStorie.../D8HKCAG80.html

Doesn't look too promising for Connolly - this just out on the AP wire - link at the bottom of the excerpt -

Sabres center Tim Connolly and defenseman Dmitri Kalinin could both miss the start of Buffalo's Eastern Conference finals series against Carolina because of injuries.

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff on Monday ruled out any possibility of Kalinin playing when the best-of-seven series is expected to open at Carolina this weekend. Ruff said Kalinin is still listed week to week after reportedly breaking his ankle May 8 while blocking a shot in Game 2 of Buffalo's conference semifinal series against Ottawa.

Connolly's status is uncertain after the play-making center was also hurt in Game 2 after sustaining what is believed to be a concussion.

"We're hopeful," Ruff said of Connolly, who prior to being hurt, led the team with 11 playoff points (five goals and six assists). "But right now, there's no indication he will be (ready)."

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStorie.../D8HKCAG80.html

You have to think neither is going to play until they skate practice.

I really think that we should use a lot of caution. Yes, Timmy would definately improve our chances at winning the Cup, but two things come to mind:

1. His long term health should come first. Don't get me wrong, I love hockey, but his long term health should have priority.

2. I would rather him miss the Carolina series, and have us get knocked out, and have him back in the lineup for years to come. If we don't win the Cup this year, don't worry, we will in the next few years. I would hate to see such a young player throw away his career for a chance to win one Cup, when if he is careful, he will have many more opportunities.

Just my take on the situation.

I just finished rewatching game of the Ottawa series. The two things that come to my mind was:

1. Timmy was the best player on the the ice that night. He gave the Otters fits time and time again.

2. We soooo miss this guy!

And then after thinking about it a little more, I would hate for him to be rushed back. I hope he has a long career with the Sabres and his number ends up in the rafters. For that to happen, he has to get better, and should not be rushed back.

If its me running the team, there is no way I allow Timmy anywhere near a game until he has been COMPLETELY symptom free for the 7 days. Once that mark is hit, until Buffalo has lost a game he doesn't see the ice.

I would then have a tough decision.

All that said, I have complete faith in Ruff's judgement. IF we see Timmy again, I will believe that he is ready. Until then, he isn't.

The darkhorse might be adam mair, who has been practicing... you put in mair and take out vanek, replace vanek with pyatt and mair with pyatt... Oh hell, there's no pointin trying to juggle the lines, i'm sure they'll work themselves out!

If its me running the team, there is no way I allow Timmy anywhere near a game until he has been COMPLETELY symptom free for the 7 days. Once that mark is hit, until Buffalo has lost a game he doesn't see the ice.

I would then have a tough decision.

All that said, I have complete faith in Ruff's judgement. IF we see Timmy again, I will believe that he is ready. Until then, he isn't.

This was posted by DWarner in the J. Patrick on Sattelite radio thread:

"Lots of good stuff about the Sabs. Said the Canes only advantage on paper may be a 2 way forward like Brindamour. Said Kalinin had a hairline fracture and is still out a while. Said Connolly's baseline tests the day after the hit were normal and he could be back in this series. Said he was too slow to play in the current NHL and happy he retired. And some other stuff..."

Archived