THANK YOU OTTAWA CONTRIBUTORS

Corp000085

There's plenty of message board trolling these days... Just check out http://www.stadiumwall.com during patriots week for evidence. However, you guys came here and contributed some positive threads and gave us the "enemy perspective". For that we all owe you a big THANK YOU!

As for the series, tough luck. If i had a floater on my team, like you do with alfredson, i'd be beating myself. Hell, we did in Satan. We got rid of him and look where we are now... 4 wins from being crowned Prince of Whales Champions and a chance to play for the Stanley Cup. Addition by subtraction. For sabres fans sake, i hope you guys keep alfredson till he's 50... For your sake, drink heavily tonight and tomorrow! I'm not asking you to switch teams and become sabres fans, but stay in touch here... keep posting good material. We do welcome you. Again, tough luck, but the better team won. Go Sabres!

Dag and Marty,

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the way the series turned out, but I do believe your team deserved a better fate and I believe classy fans like you definitely deserved a better fate.

Thank you for bringing an outside perspective to our board.

Please come back during the Buffalo - Ottawa games next season.

Thanks guys for the Warm Reception///opposing team insight.. Although we clash on certain Opinions (refereeing//diving///etc...) it is always good to have that second opinion. I dunno what went wrong tonight, but all i can say is Alfie better be gone next year... as nice as the goal was, he watched pominville skate around him... I will post more when im not so bitter, but for now congrats, you have one more Canadian on your bandwagon for the long haul to the cup... Here is to an edmonton///Buffalo finally - grit/speed meets skill/speed.

Thanks guys for the Warm Reception///opposing team insight.. Although we clash on certain Opinions (refereeing//diving///etc...) it is always good to have that second opinion. I dunno what went wrong tonight, but all i can say is Alfie better be gone next year... as nice as the goal was, he watched pominville skate around him... I will post more when im not so bitter, but for now congrats, you have one more Canadian on your bandwagon for the long haul to the cup... Here is to an edmonton///Buffalo finally - grit/speed meets skill/speed.

I agree with you man Alfie did nothing on that play. He mailed the effort in, what surprised me to is how useless Heatley was during this whole series. The Sabres have two great Captains and a guy like McKee that could easily be a Captain as well. I think you guys need to find a goalie as well.

Heatley has been a floater all year - even though he racked up the points, he did it silently, and never really when it mattered.. I'd love to see Alfie/Heatley both gone, Chara too - where the hell did he go??? I want Wade to stay, He can have captain, or Fisher can, or bring in a veteran proven leader

I'd give the C to Fisher, but I agree with you on who to keep and who to let move on.

Again Dags and Marty, thank you on behalf of Sabres fans(beit diehards or casual). I respect guys who are educated, loyal, respectful, even if their views, interests, and beliefs are different. Is their a good Sens site for us to troll on in the future?

Fan Relationships like this should be more common IMO.

ok, now that's i've had a night to digest what happened, here's something for the ottawa perspective. havlat, i agree with you. all the floaters need to go. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't chara a FA? alfie too? Basically now you know what it was like to have miroslav satan on the team for the sabres. He'd float around, score the goals to help his stats, have his ugly ass wife sing the national anthems (i'm not kidding there... i will forever have nightmares of ingrid smolinska). After he left, the sabres gamenight hosts, kevin sylvester and mike robataille would call empty net goals "the miro moment", in reference to satan's propensity to have his eyes light up only when he had the puck and there was an empty net. Again, i say thanks for posting, but your team lost due to floating, and lack of heart and grit... When all games are decided by a goal and one team wins in 5 games, it just shows you that there was a team that wanted it and a team that didn't.

Wow, Thank you all very much for this thread. Your all class as well. Not many forums can an outsider come in and not get trashed. That does not happen here.

You guys have a great team. Despite the loss, the better team won this series for no other reason than a group of guys buying into a system and executing with hard work, being fearless, driving the net and basically making the oppositions play a nightmare.

There were not many teams over the regular season that crippled the Sens the way the Sabres have. Blocked shots alone is the difference in this series more than any other facet of the game.

Congratulations on what turned out to be a very fun series to watch, we had it all in this series eh? Each game appeared to have a different style of play from the one before but all with a common denominator. One team didn't know what the meaning of failure or fear is, and the other lived in fear of yet another dismal playoff ousting. It showed and as a result the Sabres are one step closer to the grail and then Sens are in the same place as they have been for 9 post seasons in a row. :blush:

I personally will not chose a team to root for in the next round as now I plan to simply watch some amazing hockey to be played between your Sabres and what appears to be the Canes. I can't wait to be honest...that series will be fast, probably clean as well and will showcase the talent of both teams players.

As for the Sens....a little house cleaning is probably in order starting with Mucklar who failed to bring in what this team needed most, Murray for failing to elevate the Sens to the next level since that's what he was brought in for, and then any Sens with 3+ years of playoff experience on this team. That would mean, Alfie, Chara, Smolinsky, Varada and I'll leave the jury out on Redden for no other reason that his mental state is probably severly impaired with his mom just passing away. Although it bothers me that Redden is always on the ice when the stake is driven through the heart in these games. As for Alfie, how he let Pominville get in so close without so much as a bump is nothing but disgraceful and optimizes everything wrong with him in the post season.

Chara fails to show up in the post season repeatedly, Smokes and Varada are probably gone anyway. Havlat...deserves to stay. Let's not forget he missed pretty much the entire season and was relentless in the series vs Tampa. But he did meet his match in speed vs the Sabres and well, he was probably spent on energy anyway.

We'll see, but I'd give my left nut to have a team makeup such as yours instead of the superstar no shows plaquing our team.

Once again, Good luck in round 3, I'll be watching and enjoying the games. Either way, the Sabres are the new beast in the East!!! Now go get it!!

BTW, Don't be surprised if I post occasionally in the future --- You guys have kind of warmed me over ;)

The Sens board,,, sensnetwork.com is also filled with classy posters...They were receptive to the Sabres fans and going there is a pleasure.....In sharp contrast to the Flyers board...

One thing for sure...The Sens fans abhor the Leafs....

Heatley has been a floater all year - even though he racked up the points, he did it silently, and never really when it mattered.. I'd love to see Alfie/Heatley both gone, Chara too - where the hell did he go??? I want Wade to stay, He can have captain, or Fisher can, or bring in a veteran proven leader

As for the Sens....a little house cleaning is probably in order starting with Mucklar who failed to bring in what this team needed most, Murray for failing to elevate the Sens to the next level since that's what he was brought in for, and then any Sens with 3+ years of playoff experience on this team. That would mean, Alfie, Chara, Smolinsky, Varada and I'll leave the jury out on Redden for no other reason that his mental state is probably severly impaired with his mom just passing away. Although it bothers me that Redden is always on the ice when the stake is driven through the heart in these games. As for Alfie, how he let Pominville get in so close without so much as a bump is nothing but disgraceful and optimizes everything wrong with him in the post season.

Chara fails to show up in the post season repeatedly, Smokes and Varada are probably gone anyway. Havlat...deserves to stay. Let's not forget he missed pretty much the entire season and was relentless in the series vs Tampa. But he did meet his match in speed vs the Sabres and well, he was probably spent on energy anyway.

We'll see, but I'd give my left nut to have a team makeup such as yours instead of the superstar no shows plaquing our team.

Marty and Dag -- I know you've gotta be feeling pretty down and also PO'd after last night, but reading your posts, one thought jumps out at me: be careful what you wish for. If I were you, I wouldn't be hoping for a major rebuilding. I think you have a great team that with a bit of tinkering would be unstoppable.

After all, it's not like you got blown out. You lost a playoff series to (IMHO) a great team in which you outshot your opponent by 10+ shots per game but still had THREE overtime losses and one other by a single goal.

I think the main item you need is a major upgrade in net. I respect Marty for sticking up for emery in another thread, but if you had Miller and we had Emery in this series you probably would have won. I think Emery is a bottom 6 or 7 goalie (or at least he played that way in this series, except for game 4). If you had a top 5 goalie, with that defense and that power play -- wow.

I would also get a new coach. I know Murray is experienced, but I also think teams take emotional cues from their coaches and reflect their coaches' personality. Every single time, without exception, that I saw a shot of Murray, he had that twisted, tense, puckered frown on his face. Where was the confidence? The bravado? The guts? It was all "oh, no, we're screwing this up again."

As far as the rest of the personnel, if there weren't any budgetary issues, I'd gladly relieve you of Chara, Alfredsson, Redden, Heatley, or just about anyone on that all-star team you'd like to let go of. I suppose the rub is that you can't just assume money issues away -- they are there and have to be dealt with. Someone is going to give Chara $5-6 million per year -- that is inevitable. The other free agents are also going to get big offers, and some are going to leave (we are going have the same issue, albeit on a lesser scale, with guys like McKee, and it's really going to hurt if we lose him).

I also wouldn't be too quick to dump Varada, Neil, Smolinsky, etc. IMHO, the guys who don't score 40 goals but will go through a wall to win a game are just as valuable as the glamor (or, if you prefer, glamour) guys.

I guess my bottom line on this is that it's better for the Sabres next year if Ottawa tears down the house, but as a hockey fan I think that would be crazy. Your team is great, and with goaltending it can be just awesome. Get a goalie and a coach with some guts and leadership and let your guys get after it.

In the meantime, I'll appreciate it if you root for us vs. the canes.

I dont like the Canes, so im rooting for a Buffalo/Edmonton final.

I agree that we dont need a major re tooling, minor tinkering, ie: change of captain - cant strip him, gotta trade him. Change of goalie (maybe alfie//draft pick///arnason) could be trade bait for a guy who has refused to resign (luongo). Chara will walk for more money i think, but hopefully wade will stay. Heatley could be used for a grit guy like Ryan smyth (maybe not specifically him because i dont think edmonton would trade him, but a player of that build) I think Varada will be gone, and there are a lot of young guys over in Russia that have the potential to play over here next year (all little fast skilled guys)

Personally, I would like to express my sympathies to The Sens fans over how Dom treated your organisation.

The fans on this board know first hand what it's like to get caught in one of Dom's private little ego games, and to see The Sens getting the same treatment just doesn't feel right from any point of view.

The Sens thought they got a legitimate no. 1 goaltender, but unfortunately Dom hasn't been legit in any way in recent years.

Now I don't know if this had any effect on morale down the stretch, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't acting like a booster.

I certainly hope for your organisation that he won't be back next year.

Personally, I would like to express my sympathies to The Sens fans over how Dom treated your organisation.

The fans on this board know first hand what it's like to get caught in one of Dom's private little ego games, and to see The Sens getting the same treatment just doesn't feel right from any point of view.

The Sens thought they got a legitimate no. 1 goaltender, but unfortunately Dom hasn't been legit in any way in recent years.

Now I don't know if this had any effect on morale down the stretch, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't acting like a booster.

I certainly hope for your organisation that he won't be back next year.

Mucks knew the risk with Hasek. Hey it was great watching him as a Sens fan for the first half of the season, but ya...he did kind of leave the team hanging until it was too late to do anything.

I have a hard time Faulting Emery..I really do. I think the blame from our perspective has to go upfront. You simply do not win games if you can't score. The Sabres effectivly shut down the Sens guns. It's those guys, they Vets that should be ashamed. Why can't they step it up like so many others in this league when the chips are down.

But I agree with the other posters... We don't need to blow up this team...just tinker using the free $$$ after Chara doesn't resign and I like Havlats idea of Alfie, Arnason and a pick for a bonified goaltender until Emery does have a chance to work on rebound control and continue to build his confidence.

Other than that, I have no reason to be in mourning... The Series overall was great to watch. Reminded me of the 70's - 80's when skill and speed dominated the games.

Good luck vs. Carolina --- I do think the Sabres will give them fits as well B-)

but all i can say is Alfie better be gone next year... as nice as the goal was, he watched pominville skate around him...

I dunno if its me, or if Alfie is just the favorite whipping boy in the NHL and Ottawa right now, but why is Redden not taking any grief. There were several plays in this series where i thought he just played horrible. I mean, the clinching goal, yeah, Alfie lets Jason go by him, but Redden sitting in front of the crease and tries a weak ass poke check instead of taking the body. Is it only me, or is this guy getting somewhat of a free pass for this series

Hey ottawa fans, there is a very solid goalie on this sabres team that (unfortunatly) might be looking for a new team in the off season, although you had your headaches w/ a former sabres goalie this season, this goalie i'm speaking about isn't Dom esque, he is awesome w/ the media, and in the community and his play is equally as good, Name: Marty Biron

What would you opinion be if your club went after and signed him?

Yeah, he is no luongo, but this guy is solid and on the way up, I personally would hate to see marty leave, but I know he deserves to start in the NHL and I would respect him if he felt the need to leave for another city. Ottawa, if luongo isn't your guy, don't be disappointed because Biron isn't that far behind in quality levels. Good luck in the off season, and to the sens fans who posted; Thanks.

Hey ottawa fans, there is a very solid goalie on this sabres team that (unfortunatly) might be looking for a new team in the off season, although you had your headaches w/ a former sabres goalie this season, this goalie i'm speaking about isn't Dom esque, he is awesome w/ the media, and in the community and his play is equally as good, Name: Marty Biron

Yeah, he is no luongo, but this guy is solid and on the way up, I personally would hate to see marty leave, but I know he deserves to start in the NHL and I would respect him if he felt the need to leave for another city. Ottawa, if luongo isn't your guy, don't be disappointed because Biron isn't that far behind in quality levels. Good luck in the off season, and to the sens fans who posted; Thanks.

Biron is a restricted free agent. If Ottawa wants to give all that draft pick compensation to Buffalo for him, I'd have no problem with it. B-)

Fronz -- Marty is a good guy, but Luongo is a much better goalie. Frankly I don't think it's even close.

Archived