Off-season Game Plan 2024

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Talent is loaded word.

If you define talent as the ability to skate, shoot and stickhandle, I think we’ve got a pretty talented collection of players.

If you define talent as “good at playing hockey” there’s work to be done.

My problem with this is that I don't see anything to differentiate our collection of "talent" and any other team's. I keep hearing about how much better they are going to end up, but I have yet to see anything that makes me believe that.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

My problem with this is that I don't see anything to differentiate our collection of "talent" and any other team's. I keep hearing about how much better they are going to end up, but I have yet to see anything that makes me believe that.

We are what our record says we are.

All the rest is just hope and frustration.

• Like (+1) 3

JJ Tage Tuch

Benson Cozens Quinn (if Cozens can’t get going with two wingers like Benson and Quinn then cut bait with the guy)

find a way to get out from Skinner.

the fourth line should be a physical defensive line.

The third line is the key for me. I think they need some offence on that line as well as physicality. If they can have 3 scoring lines and a shutdown physical 4th line that is how Lindy had success before.  I don’t know if anyone on the team right now is a fit for that third line.  If they can target a team with cap issues and see if you can pry a Karlsson or Cirelli or Lundell via trade or look at a Stephenson or Monahan in ufa to anchor that line. Then find another winger that has some size, physicality and can score and see if one of Savoie, Kulich or Rosen can play the other wing.

I think Greenway can be an effective 4th liner. They need a really strong faceoff guy to anchor the 4th line. Then round it out with a guy that flies all around the ice and loves to get physical in the forecheck. A Carrier type.

I think in a couple years that Östlund and Wahlberg will be good 3rd liners for them but it is about winning right now.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I dunno I definitely see some differentiation. Just look at the standings 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wookie hacked Thorny’s account.

Humour is all we have. Summer roles around and we’re sitting on the best asset pool again and any sort of trade that would hurt one iota to make is ruled out as negligent to the plan. Like sand through an hourglass 

“What can we get for the prospects we don’t want? Will Edmonton *retain* on McDavid? Then maybe we’d sacrifice Owen Power.”

This isn’t hyperbole lol.

As evidenced by his recent comments, Adams is probably already backing down from his “top 6 forward add” comment - he probably reads Twitter 

Edited by Thorny

The idea of trading Power is insane. 

Yes, he needs some serious coaching and he needs a big time muscle building program but he still has a huge amount of potential. He's just a kid. 

Now the prospects who aren't in the NHL right now? I'm fine with trading any of them and any future picks for immediate roster help now. 

Players I would definitely not trade: Benson, Peterka, Power, UPL, Levi, Tuch.

Players I would only trade if the offer was so exceptional I had to consider it: Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn.

Unless I forgot someone pretty much anybody else is fair game for the right deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, I’m gonna need all 4 to make it worth it. 

And 80s Wayne 

In this hypothetical I wonder if Ottawa would be interested in Peterka to pair with Stutzle.

Peterka, Östlund or Savoie or Kulich, 1st for Brady

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The idea of trading Power is insane. 

Yes, he needs some serious coaching and he needs a big time muscle building program but he still has a huge amount of potential. He's just a kid. 

Now the prospects who aren't in the NHL right now? I'm fine with trading any of them and any future picks for immediate roster help now. 

Players I would definitely not trade: Benson, Peterka, Power, UPL, Levi, Tuch.

Players I would only trade if the offer was so exceptional I had to consider it: Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn.

Unless I forgot someone pretty much anybody else is fair game for the right deal. 

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh do tell @Thorny what did you find so amusing about that?

Thorny is right.  This fanbase is not serious about winning.

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Humour is all we have. Summer roles around and we’re sitting on the best asset pool again and any sort of trade that would hurt one iota to make is ruled out as negligent to the plan. Like sand through an hourglass 

“What can we get for the prospects we don’t want? Will Edmonton *retain* on McDavid? Then maybe we’d sacrifice Owen Power.”

This isn’t hyperbole lol.

As evidenced by his recent comments, Adams is probably already backing down from his “top 6 forward add” comment - he probably reads Twitter 

Yep. That interview this morning was maddening. He starts his answer to the cap question by saying spending has never been a problem(which is total crap but not my point) and then for the next ten minutes gives excuse after excuse on why he’s not going to do it.

WEE’RE FKD

…and yes, I know that there are 3Es in that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't see how that relates to what I said. 

You basically put half of a never won anything roster on the protected list.

Even Dahlin (and certainly  Power) should be available for the right price.  I’m not talking about a dream overpayment.  I mean, for the right price noone should be off limits if you are really serious about winning.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

You basically put half of a never won anything roster on the protected list.

Even Dahlin (and certainly  Power) should be available for the right price.  I’m not talking about a dream overpayment.  I mean, for the right price noone should be off limits if you are really serious about winning.

Not really. 

I put 6 guys on the "protected" list. One is a prospect, 5 of the 6 still have development upside and one bleeds blue and gold and should be captain. 

I put 4 guys on a list where I'd want a good deal that makes the team better. That's it for the entire franchise. I'd hardly call that protecting the roster. 

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not really. 

I put 6 guys on the "protected" list. One is a prospect, 5 of the 6 still have development upside and one bleeds blue and gold and should be captain. 

I put 4 guys on a list where I'd want a good deal that makes the team better. That's it for the entire franchise. I'd hardly call that protecting the roster. 

You chose your words to describe the second group poorly then. “So exceptional “ certainly paints an image of nearly untouchable.

10 players out of a roster of 23 is nearly half.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Weave said:

You chose your words to describe the second group poorly then. “So exceptional “ certainly paints an image of nearly untouchable.

I guess you could take it that way. I was trying to avoid people reacting "trade Dahlin? You're nuts" type of thing so I phrased it as an exceptional deal. So no, only 6 I wouldn't trade (unless some team grossly overpays for them but that wouldn't happen).

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

I agree completely with Adam’s current narrative. The problem has been coaching and leadership. The talent is now there. Yes we need some vet depth but we don’t need no key talent piece.

I thought this was obvious two years ago and am mad he took this long to fire Granato, but I believe he has the right assessment on things. 

I see I’m a minority here 

Nah. There may be a few others who agree. I really don’t see a problem with our top 6. Let’s pretend Skinner doesn’t even exist (yet he does), we still have Tage, Tuch, Benson, Cozens, JJP, and Quinn. That’s a very “talented” bunch and I think Ruff will set them straight. But, beyond the top 6, the rest of the roster is effectively missing. Lots of question marks there. We need at least 3 more proven NHLers. Anyone not on the Sabres this year can stay in Rochester. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I guess you could take it that way. I was trying to avoid people reacting "trade Dahlin? You're nuts" type of thing so I phrased it as an exceptional deal. So no, only 6 I wouldn't trade (unless some team grossly overpays for them but that wouldn't happen).

Do you think Rasmus Dahlin or Owen Power will have a better career?

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Start with, “everyone is available for the right price” and go from there 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Define "better"?

Which player will end their career, being talked about and ranked above the either, because most or all definitions of better apply to one more than the other.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Start with, “everyone is available for the right price” and go from there 

Well everyone's available everywhere theoretically but that's kind of meaningless. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Which player will end their career, being talked about and ranked above the either, because most or all definitions of better apply to one more than the other.

Could still be Power. Ask me again in 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well everyone's available everywhere theoretically but that's kind of meaningless. 

You can’t convincingly argue it’s a meaningless distinction when your view yields an untradeable ….JJ Peterka, and mine argues for trading Dahlin (my favourite player) should an appropriate deal present itself. 

Edited by Thorny