Who will be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?

• Ruff
    • Appert
    • Gallant
    • Brind’amour
    • Other - NHL Rookie
    • Other - NHL re-tread

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Im not really sure what Gallant has over Lindy.

For me, it's a bit more recent success. Gallant has had his teams in the playoffs each of the last 5 full seasons he coached. Had the Rags in the Conference Finals just 2 years ago and took Vegas to the Cup Finals in their first year. I think he's better at coming in and whipping rosters into shape. A concern is he tends to wear his welcome out pretty quickly, but cross that bridge when the time comes if necessary.

Lindy has missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 full seasons he's coached (and the Devils missed this year after he coached 3/4 of the season. That would make 5/7. Hasn't got past the 2nd round since 2007. Plus his Devils team regressed badly this year after they blew up on the scene in 2022/23. All of those concern me.

Edited by HumanSlinky39

23 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What happened was awful but how did Quenneville directly ruin the kid’s career? The coaching staff at the AHL level and Bowman as GM would have been more directly involved.

It should have been handled way differently from an organizational standpoint.

All I’m saying is Quenneville was disciplined by the league and if they decide to reinstate him as some sources seem to think, he will be sought after as he is an excellent coach. If he is available the Sabres should talk to him.

Former Blackhawks player Kyle Beach says Quenneville knew the coach raped him and did nothing about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/miami/news/chicago-blackhawks-kyle-beach-rape-florida-panthers-joel-quenneville/

Edited by Buffalonill

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Former Blackhawks player Kyle Beach says Quenneville knew the coach raped him and did nothing about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/miami/news/chicago-blackhawks-kyle-beach-rape-florida-panthers-joel-quenneville/

I will say, if Q knew (the official report was inconclusive on how much he knew and when) and "upper management" - which a HC is not part of, nor would the HC have the actual ability to quash an investigation (though he could have advocated to "push it off" during the Cup run) - if management decided to do nothing and he had any integrity, he absolutely should have taken it public. No doubt.

Thinking about it more - for the NHL to essentially ban Q from coaching, I don't see how Q's public account of the facts can be true. I will now jump off the Q train - I don't like this.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What happened was awful but how did Quenneville directly ruin the kid’s career? The coaching staff at the AHL level and Bowman as GM would have been more directly involved.

It should have been handled way differently from an organizational standpoint.

All I’m saying is Quenneville was disciplined by the league and if they decide to reinstate him as some sources seem to think, he will be sought after as he is an excellent coach. If he is available the Sabres should talk to him.

Even if there wasn’t a snowballs chance in hell they hire him, they 100% need to interview every knowledgeable body for insight in improving the Sabres. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Also think it was said they didn't act on it because they were in the stanley cup finals.

Q claims that he was told that there was an incident between a player and coach that should be addressed and he said he didn’t want a distraction for the team from a Stanley Cup chase. If he truly didn’t know the severity of the issue, I don’t see how you can fault anyone in his position for waiting to address it. Which brings me to the next point.

Chevy wasn’t punished because it was deemed it was his boss, Bowman, who was responsible for handling the issue. I don’t see how the same doesn’t apply to Q. 

Its all complete speculation as to who is being honest, who feels remorse, who has done enough reconciliation and rehabilitation. 

I don’t think we will make a move for him, so it’s all moot. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I stand by my comments upthread about not having a real clue.

But by appearances, he certainly seems an excellent fit: a no-nonsense presence with a track record of both winning and of coming in and quickly focusing a locker room that desperately needed it; experienced, but not too much of a retread; and despite his reputation as a player, he seems to have a brain in his head.

His worst season was 81 points. His Blues weren't particularly loaded with high-end talent, at least for a cup-winner, but they were deep.

Not sure he's got much of a track record with young players, but Kyrou and Thomas did emerge nicely under his watch.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

A coach that preaches heart. Up to and including to sideline reporters 

I’d love a guy like Berube. He’d definitely have a make the playoffs at all costs mentality 

Give me Berube. He is the coach this team needs right now.

If it is Lindy he better come with James Patrick to make it more palatable for me.

I expect some more grit and sandpaper added in the summer via trade and ufa. Some vet leaders.

Is they are drafting #11 please trade the pick for someone who can help now.

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If it is Lindy he better come with James Patrick to make it more palatable for me.

I expect some more grit and sandpaper added in the summer via trade and ufa. Some vet leaders.

The parallels between this year's Sabres and last year's Canucks, and between Rick Tocchet and Craig Berube are not lost on me.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Berube makes a lot of sense. Any thoughts on Dean Evason?

5 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Why are some people so fixated on Ruff? 

He was here 258854445 years, no cups. Rode Dominick Haseks coat tails most of the time. Overused Miller, didn't handle goaltenders well overall. Botched the gameplan against Boston in 2010. Too many men penalty comes to mind, (sigh). The lost goes on 

Did nothing in Dallas with a talented roster, even missed the playoffs with them. 

Recently fired again

If they hire Ruff this is the same concept as when they traded back for Pominville. A lazy, cheap fan appeasing move. Hard no 

I'd like Gallant above all else, big time hard no to Ruff and Appert or anything like that 

Its time to be serious 

Gallant shouldn’t even be considered. He gets 1 good season out of his players and is fired the next season. He loses the group which we shouldn’t be looking at.

1. Brind’Amour 

2. Berube 

3. Quenville

4. Ruff

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Jammerz04 said:

Gallant shouldn’t even be considered. He gets 1 good season out of his players and is fired the next season. He loses the group which we shouldn’t be looking at.

1. Brind’Amour 

2. Berube 

3. Quenville

4. Ruff

3 is burned for me and number 1 is staying with the hurricanes.

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

Q claims that he was told that there was an incident between a player and coach that should be addressed and he said he didn’t want a distraction for the team from a Stanley Cup chase. If he truly didn’t know the severity of the issue, I don’t see how you can fault anyone in his position for waiting to address it. Which brings me to the next point.

Chevy wasn’t punished because it was deemed it was his boss, Bowman, who was responsible for handling the issue. I don’t see how the same doesn’t apply to Q. 

Its all complete speculation as to who is being honest, who feels remorse, who has done enough reconciliation and rehabilitation. 

I don’t think we will make a move for him, so it’s all moot. 

If he's the head coach and hears there's an incident between a player and a coach, shouldn't he want to know what the issue is so he can address it (and determine how to address it in the correct manner?) Don't you want a leader who's not going to delegate something this important?

I have a lot of affection for Lindy Ruff. He would be low on my list though. There are extenuating circumstances to be sure, but Ruff’s teams have missed the playoffs 50% of the time. I recognize what he represents to Sabre fans, but without the Buffalo connection I don’t think he would be considered an attractive option. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rod Brind’Amour would be fabulous but after another tremendous year I can’t believe the Canes would be dumb enough to let him leave. That said, I thought we were stuck with Donny, so maybe Lady Luck is walking in Allentown. This is a story from 2023 about coaching candidates. There are a couple interesting names though KA’s emphasis on experience eliminates (it would seem) those with tons of success outside the nhl. Not on that list is Jay Woodcroft, who is young and whose Oilers played an up tempo style suitable to the corp of this team. Such fun. Well thanks Donny for all you gave, good luck.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/05/an-overview-of-nhl-head-coaching-candidates.html