Future Playoffs

First off, I don't think there is a prayer they are making the playoffs next year without a major overhaul to this roster. The coach and GM are likely coming back and once this team craps itself again to start the season, the home atmosphere will continue to be one of the worst in the NHL. The problem they have of missing the playoffs yet again, is that they are not getting any experience with that style of hockey. Once they do finally make it, it's going to most likely take another year to do any damage.

I did not watch last night until the last 5 minutes of the game and could not have cared less about the outcome. I just don't understand how this owner can be content with not only missing the playoffs again, but looking like one of the worst teams in the league more times than not. They need to trade their top prospect and 1st round pick to try and land a legit 2 way center to push Cozens down to the 3rd line. I doubt any of these things will happen as they hope the next round of youth movements will save the day.

My son said last night that he just wishes he could see 1 playoff game before he goes to college. They have 2 years to make that happen and my daughter (their biggest fan) never saw 1. THAT is why I hate this team so much...

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Can always depend on Cal to express the most desolate version of Sabres fandom.

I suspect the opposite would also be true. Hope someday we get a chance to see that.

I would love to see it too. Nobody gets more passionate than me when this team is rolling. I miss that atmosphere in the building more than you can ever know. 

• Like (+1) 1

I expect them to make the playoffs next year. The D will be one year older/more experienced, and that is important for the youngest D in the league.  I've convinced myself Tage's drop off was mostly due to his injury and I expect him to play like the 50 goal scorer he was last season.  Hopefully, a new coach will evaluate Krebs, Cousins, Skinner for what they are, not for what the team WANTS them to be and adjust their playing time/position/attitude accordingly. 

So, does the new Coach get a little bit more out of this team than Granato did? Do they have a slight bit more 'injury luck' than last year? and do they get UPL for the whole year the way he played for the 2nd half of last year?   With the D-corp slightly more experienced, and a healthy Tage, You get 2 of those other 3 things I just listed above, they are in the playoffs.

I think this team has most of the talent it needs to become successful but it does need a system overhaul and a change in how they play. Looking at what we have, the best plan imo is to become an aggressive forecheck team. The closest example as a model would in fact be Carolina. Ideally they add toughness and can play more like Florida but we have the size and speed to make this happen with a good coach. 

Ruff could do it. Gallant could do it. Berube might be able to do it. 

The craziest plan would be Quenneville is allowed to come back and he is named coach and then we sign Kane and name him captain. There's a crazy dream.