The Legend of Billy Stemhovilichski

Man... As much as I try, I just can't find the old SCTV clips funny. I REALLY respect the cast, and really want to like it, but either it's all dated now or maybe wasn't really all that funny in the first place. That clip really wasn't funny in the least. Was cool seeing the vintage Canadian mall and sports store, and hearing the old Leafs announcer though.

• Agree 2
  • dislike 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Man... As much as I try, I just can't find the old SCTV clips funny. I REALLY respect the cast, and really want to like it, but either it's all dated now or maybe wasn't really all that funny in the first place. That clip really wasn't funny in the least. Was cool seeing the vintage Canadian mall and sports store, and hearing the old Leafs announcer though.

I, like many, grew up less than 10 miles from the Canadian Border. After leaving Western NY after college, for the last decade or so I'm back and I can walk down the street now and see Canada.  Saturday nights were Hockey Night in Canada on TV...and a lot of time growing up was spent watching CBC and CBLT.  I'm no stranger to Canada or Canadian televsion.  But, I found that 'Canadian televsion comedy' was something I just didn't always like.

John Candy, in more 'american' movies was great. Jim Carrey, Ryan Reynolds, Seth Rogen, Dan Akroyd....we all know the list of many others, I like a lot of their stuff, but the stuff I usually like is the 'american-ized/usa based' stuff.  A lot of the Stuff out of Canada though...SCTV, Kids in the Hall, Degrassi, Trailer Park Boys, Schitts Creek...I don't know, I can't seem to get into any of it.

Super Dave, Strange brew (as a kid) and Kim's Convenience are just a few I liked.  But the rest, I don't know, I just could never get into the stuff out of Canada.

40 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Super Dave, Strange brew (as a kid) and Kim's Convenience are just a few I liked.  But the rest, I don't know, I just could never get into the stuff out of Canada.

When I was a kid, I'd watch SCTA only to hope Bob and Doug would be on. I watched Strange Brew with my kids a few years back. Obviously I'm a lot older now, but it was still pretty funny in a most juvenile way.

Edit: I vehemently disagree with you on the Trailer Park Boys. On the surface it was a crude lowbrow comedy, but it was actually under the radar brilliant.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

The Second City troupe was an All-Star team in the early 80's ❤️

To think of ALL of the projects they went on to do 🤯

Levy and O'Hara, when they joined Christopher Guest in his mocumentaries. Aykroyd and Ramis teaming up; these were whole universes of comedy gold, my friends 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2024 at 5:14 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

Disagree. It’s slow-developing, subtle, and delightful. I think modern times have made it difficult to enjoy this sort of material.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Candy could move on the ice for a big man.

The speed and skills of Mahovlich and the size and power of Stemkowski. 

Edited by Pimlach