GDT Buffalo Sabres @ Detroit Red Wings Sat. 3-16, 12:30 pm NHLN, MSG & WGR Radio

I missed the game.  I had to be Mr Fix it for a young 35 year old guy that can’t use tools, can’t work to a schedule, and lacks confidence.  I’m teaching him a lot.    I caught some of the first and second period on radio. 

Sounded like we caved and made some mistakes under pressure.   Well, it’s a tough league and Detroit had their backs to the wall.  

Have not read the thread.  I have to go back to the hardware store.  Plumbing, electrical, carpentry awaits -  I’m getting too old for this stuff.   Bring Industrial Arts back to the dam high schools.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Tough result. If you are going to be upset, id lean towards the macro result and not specifically today: we’ve been good of late but even the best teams lose a fair bit and we aren’t one of the best teams.

Ottawa did us a reasonable solid, can’t really ask them for more than keeping Islanders to 1 point (story of their season) which keeps things, while quite unlikely, still alive for us

Sample size 

Exactly still alive.   Definitely a tough one today.   

need 4 or 5 points over the next 4 road games.  And then be almost perfect over the last 10 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, hockey said:

But I bet you they both know how to spell inane.

Thanks… Fixed.

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

need 4 or 5 points over the next 4 road games.  And then be almost perfect over the last 10 

Ya I’d be hesitant to pencil in a 10 gamer. I don’t think we can afford a 50/50 trip.

Our best bet is a few more 4 games chunks like we just saw:

W-W-W-L

W-W-W-L

W-W-W-L

W-W

..that would get us to 91 points with a strong tiebreaker 

Islanders are currently as the projected 8 seed projecting for 91

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I missed the game.  I had to be Mr Fix it for a young 35 year old guy that can’t use tools, can’t work to a schedule, and lacks confidence.  I’m teaching him a lot.    I caught some of the first and second period on radio. 

Sounded like we caved and made some mistakes under pressure.   Well, it’s a tough league and Detroit had their backs to the wall.  

Have not read the thread.  I have to go back to the hardware store.  Plumbing, electrical, carpentry awaits -  I’m getting too old for this stuff.   Bring Industrial Arts back to the dam high schools.  

You missed a total of Maybe 10 minutes of good play,  the rest was garbage

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya I’d be hesitant to pencil in a 10 gamer. I don’t think we can afford a 50/50 trip.

Our best bet is a few more 4 games chunks like we just saw:

W-W-W-L

W-W-W-L

W-W-W-L

W-W

..that would get us to 91 points with a strong tiebreaker 

Islanders are currently as the projected 8 seed projecting for 91

This is exactly right. I understand why some are frustrated, but we weren’t going 18-0 to end the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

This is exactly right. I understand why some are frustrated, but we weren’t going 18-0 to end the season. 

Right. But who we lose to and when matters. 

This is something this current iteration of the Sabres needs to fix and fix quickly if they want to make a jump next year.

• Like (+1) 1

On the Red Wings second goal, the Sabres had a clean break out setup but Peterka couldn't corral the chip pass and kicked it right up to the Red Wing defenseman who cycled it back down low.... and the rest is history.     Also UPL could've done better with his rebound control.... small mistakes, small details.     But that's the difference between playoff teams and non-playoff teams. 

Will anyone be held accountable for not meeting the stated goal and the team regressing? 90% chance probably not. Every other team would clean house after 4 failed years where we are still in the basement of the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. But who we lose to and when matters. 

This is something this current iteration of the Sabres needs to fix and fix quickly if they want to make a jump next year.

The lesson they should take here is to not put yourself into a position where their runway is almost non-existent while attempting the landing to their season 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

you can hope and pray all you want but It’s not happening. It would be near impossible for a really good team and the Sabres are not even that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Will anyone be held accountable for not meeting the stated goal and the team regressing? 90% chance probably not. Every other team would clean house after 4 failed years where we are still in the basement of the league. 

knocking on the playoff door for the past two seasons is "basement of the league?"  get hold of yourself.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The lesson they should take here is to not put yourself into a position where their runway is almost non-existent while attempting the landing to their season 

You would have thought they learned that lesson last season

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, will said:

knocking on the playoff door for the past two seasons is "basement of the league?"  get hold of yourself.

The ONLY reason why they’re in this position is because they decide to play well way too late. If they played half this good for the whole season it would be a different story

Edited by Sidc3000
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, will said:

We currently sit at 11th from the bottom and are two points from being the 8th worst team.  I have a good hold of myself.  Bottom 10 finishes how many years now?  If you call this progress I have a different standard I guess. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

The ONLY reason why they’re in this position is because they decide to play well way too late. If they played half this good for the whole season it would be a different story

The main reason for the turn around is the play of UPL.  A secondary reason is they got healthier.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

We are lacking experience… Our Coaches and young players are learning how to win on the job. 

Experience matters.

If KA doesn’t bring in a few more mature vets with successful playoff chops, it could be a couple more years of OJT.

Edited by Believer
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I am sitting at home while my uncle does all the electrical and carpentry around the house. This is great, maybe I will take a nap....

I get it.  

Shop class is on break. Feed me before I hang that door. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Bottom 10 finishes how many years now?  If you call this progress I have a different standard I guess. 

you change your statement from 4 to 10 years?  cool.

and yes, they have made progress over the past 4 years.  from ACTUAL basement to meaningful march games.  something a lot of people are happy about, with an average age that is also in the "basement of the league." 😄

• Disagree 2
  • dislike 1

27 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

you can hope and pray all you want but It’s not happening. It would be near impossible for a really good team and the Sabres are not even that. 

Well praying for anything is a big waste of time so I won't be doing that 

BUT I won't give up hope. The teams they are chasing are all fully capable of imploding 

44 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

You would have thought they learned that lesson last season

I agree. That’s why I keep saying this was an expectations year not a development year. It wasn’t about learning it was about achieving. If we don’t end up securing a playoff spot, it’s a miss. 

• Agree 4