Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So far, this trade made a bigger hole than what it filled.

Too early to say that.  Likely, but too early. 

I think if they package Okie, Girgs and EJ in one deal, they may get back three kids in a trench coat.  We've likely already seen the biggest deadline deal we're gonna see from Kevyn.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Does this trade happen if KA is not on an owner imposed salary cap?

Bowen Byram makes a little more than Casey Mittelstadt but is also one year further away from getting a raise.

I think Adams was reluctant to commit long-term to 3 $7M centres (many Sabrespacers felt the same way) but whether that's about managing to the real cap, or an artificial cap, it's open to speculation. Byram creates a similar question on D.

Sabres are about $6M under this years cap.

They are $21M under next years cap with 10 roster holes to fill. Okposo, Girgensons, UPL, Jokiharju and Krebs are the most prominent players needing to be replaced or re-signed

The following year they are a projected $36M under, with Greenway, Peterka, Quinn, Byram, Johnson and Levi the most prominent free agents.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So far, this trade made a bigger hole than what it filled.  I think more acquisitions must happen.  

We need two more centers.  A 4C and a 2/3C. I do not see our prospects pool having NHL ready centers next season.  

Our defense with EJ out, Byram in just got younger  

Bo  Dahlin

Power Muel

Johnson Clifton

Joker Bryson. 

couldnt agree with you more. minus a serious move to address the forward position at the deadline or summer - this trade does not improve the team in the near term

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I don't know.  Is he under an owner imposed salary cap?

In 2020, Pegula made the Effective, Efficient, and Economical statement.

Since then, the Sabres have been: $8.8M (2020-21), $15.5M (21-22), $17M (22-23), $6.1M (23-24) under the cap each season (per Spotrac -- with in-season fluctuations for trades, etc.)

They have had massive holes in the roster every season that could have been addressed via trade, retained salary, or UFA.

They might not have stated there's an owner-imposed salary cap, but since "EEE", they've not been close the cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Since then, the Sabres have been: $8.8M (2020-21), $15.5M (21-22), $17M (22-23), $6.1M (23-24) under the cap each season (per Spotrac -- with in-season fluctuations for trades, etc.)

They have had massive holes in the roster every season that could have been addressed via trade, retained salary, or UFA.

They might not have stated there's an owner-imposed salary cap, but since "EEE", they've not been close the cap.

COVID also happened so that can't be ignored

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The funny thing is, had the Sabres signed Mitts and he regressed next year, everyone here would have said it was a bad signing and said they would be open to trading him just like they are with Tage this year.

I have no issues with the trade. Team needed a shakeup and I think Thompson and Cozens will rebound next year. Byram hasn’t had a concussion since 2021 unless I’m mistaken.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

On the other hand, Kevyn has been conserving salary cap space in order to have the resources to sign the young talent coming up.  (I will admit that he still had holes and could have better filled them with high-end, but short term deals.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

So you are agreeing with that fact that there is an owner-imposed cap, but that there is a good reason for it?

If they would have paid actual players who made the team better, instead of paying a coach for Dallas and a retired Dman just to get to the cap floor, maybe they would have had actual fans who paid actual money for actual watchable hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Cozens isn't a 2nd line center? I realize he is having an off year, but he'll be fine! Ease up Chicken Little!

You say he isn’t a second line center, but he will be fine.  Make up your mind.  We need two centers.   A 4C and a guy that can play 2/3C. 

If Cozens can hold a 2C slot that’s great.   When Cozens plays with Quinn and Peterka he looks like a 2C to me. Other times he doesn’t.  

You wanna start name calling?   Stop responding to me if you are going to do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

So you are agreeing with that fact that there is an owner-imposed cap, but that there is a good reason for it?

If they would have paid actual players who made the team better, instead of paying a coach for Dallas and a retired Dman just to get to the cap floor, maybe they would have had actual fans who paid actual money for actual watchable hockey.

No, I honestly don't believe there has been any owner imposed cap; however I'm saying that COVID may have played a part into the whole EEE stuff that gets conspiratory levels of interest on this website.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Too early to say that.  Likely, but too early. 

I think if they package Okie, Girgs and EJ in one deal, they may get back three kids in a trench coat.  We've likely already seen the biggest deadline deal we're gonna see from Kevyn.

Probably so.    Maybe we can find UFAs that can bolster the forward position.   

Looks like we will be very young at D next season. No one is near their prime years for NHL defenseman.  

Edited by Pimlach

Just now, thewookie1 said:

No, I honestly don't believe there has been any owner imposed cap; however I'm saying that COVID may have played a part into the whole EEE stuff that gets conspiratory levels of interest on this website.

Of course COVID was the reason they implemented EEE. It not conspiracy. It was their zoom press conference.

And if you are arguing that this is all Kevyn's doing, then how the hell would he not be fired by now?!

Kinda ridiculous if you look at it that way, no?

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Of course COVID was the reason they implemented EEE. It not conspiracy. It was their zoom press conference.

And if you are arguing that this is all Kevyn's doing, then how the hell would he not be fired by now?!

Kinda ridiculous if you look at it that way, no?

Young rosters tend to not have high cap hits; there's no requirement that Adams wasn't spending due to Pegula doing his best Athletics impression. 

56 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

the moment it clicked for me was the outdoor game at home in Toronto. Mitts got to the boards, reversed checked some hapless Leaf (probably Brodie, or Sandin? or similar undersized defenseman) into oblivion, and then calmly went about making a pass.

Since then, he's been their most consistent player along the boards, and has created numerous goals simply by winning battles, calmly possessing the puck, and then making quality passes. No other center on this roster is anywhere close to Mitts' skill along the wall and only Okposo and Greenway and Benson are anywhere near as consistent in their efforts along the boards. He'll be missed the remainder of this season for certain.

Amen. I was just saying this to someone at my office: Mitts quietly became the team's best forward on the boards. He'd become so strong on the puck. Tough to move. Very difficult to knock off a spot or knock over.

It's that aspect of his game that convinces me that he'll be a quality playoff performer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You say he isn’t a second line center, but he will be fine.  Make up your mind.  We need two centers.   A 4C and a guy that can play 2/3C. 

If Cozens can hold a 2C slot that’s great.   When Cozens plays with Quinn and Peterka he looks like a 2C to me. Other times he doesn’t.  

You wanna start name calling?   Stop responding to me if you are going to do that. 

First of all, I used the "Chicken Little" remark as you make it seem like the sky is falling! That is all. Second, I posed the question, "Cozens isn't a second line center?"  Hence the question mark. If the the "Chicken Little" remark offended you, I'm truly sorry. I hope you can get over it, it wasn't intended to offend.

Edited by LETSTUCHINGO
  • dislike 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Young rosters tend to not have high cap hits; there's no requirement that Adams wasn't spending due to Pegula doing his best Athletics impression. 

Sure. And the Tank was Darcy's idea.

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

On the other hand, Kevyn has been conserving salary cap space in order to have the resources to sign the young talent coming up.  (I will admit that he still had holes and could have better filled them with high-end, but short term deals.)

You don't have to conserve any space on a seasonal basis. Like you say, you just pay a bit of a premium on a slightly shorter deal. They had all the space in the world to do exactly that. Where was the legit #2-3 D signing to pair with Power for 2-3 seasons? Lyubushkin and Clifton were the multiyear righties.

26 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Yes and several NHL teams did (rightfully) tighten the budget for that next season. A couple also axed their AHL staffs like the Sabres did.

The contrast is in the bounce-back. Let's look at Detroit's* same seasons:

DET: $7.74M (2020-21),  $11.9M (21-22),   $7.7M (22-23),   $1.7M (23-24)

BUF: $8.8M (2020-21),   $15.5M (21-22),   $17M (22-23),   $6.1M (23-24)

*Why Detroit? Same division, same "not the greatest booming local economy/downtown, but similar passionate fan base", same boat in terms of rebuild, and arguably well behind the Sabres. You're competing with them for veterans who know it will be 2-3 seasons before they're contenders again. In 2022-23, it was right back to business as usual, and then this year -- under $2M in space. The Sabres will be there in terms of cap space ($2M) next season, but by then Detroit will already have playoff revenue, fan interest, and a solid core getting stronger.

And spending another $4-10M in cap in 2022-23 could easily have been worth 2 points in the standings. $5M this season could have been a backup goalie and a bottom-6 C/W.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

First of all, I used the Chicken Little remark as you make seem like the sky is falling

My recommendation: Say that rather than engage in name-calling. The latter never goes over well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

You don't have to conserve any space on a seasonal basis. Like you say, you just pay a bit of a premium on a slightly shorter deal. They had all the space in the world to do exactly that. Where was the legit #2-3 D signing to pair with Power for 2-3 seasons? Lyubushkin and Clifton were the multiyear righties.

Yes and several NHL teams did (rightfully) tighten the budget for that next season. A couple also axed their AHL staffs like the Sabres did.

The contrast is in the bounce-back. Let's look at Detroit's* same seasons:

DET: $7.74M (2020-21),  $11.9M (21-22),   $7.7M (22-23),   $1.7M (23-24)

BUF: $8.8M (2020-21),   $15.5M (21-22),   $17M (22-23),   $6.1M (23-24)

*Why Detroit? Same division, same "not the greatest booming local economy/downtown, but similar passionate fan base", same boat in terms of rebuild, and arguably well behind the Sabres. You're competing with them for veterans who know it will be 2-3 seasons before they're contenders again. In 2022-23, it was right back to business as usual, and then this year -- under $2M in space. The Sabres will be there in terms of cap space ($2M) next season, but by then Detroit will already have playoff revenue, fan interest, and a solid core getting stronger.

And spending another $4-10M in cap in 2022-23 could easily have been worth 2 points in the standings. $5M this season could have been a backup goalie and a bottom-6 C/W.

Biggest issues here is the lack of roster spots, sure we could of signed players but then we couldn't have guys like Peterka or Quinn up last year. 

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Biggest issues here is the lack of roster spots, sure we could of signed players but then we couldn't have guys like Peterka or Quinn up last year. 

That would have been better for everyone involved, including the fans. Actually, mostly the fans.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Which is a good problem to have. Maybe you move VO early or don't re-sign him. Maybe you don't re-sign Hinostroza or bring back Sheahan because you've already got a veteran.