Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

16 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

This guy is paid top 3 D $.  He must have something to give.  He has one year left at $7.5M (or so).  What will he command on his next contract?  He was a highly rated D at the 2019 draft and went #4.  A cup winner who seems to be having an off year.  

Until a year or so ago most here wanted to dump Casey for a bag of pucks and were willing to toss is a draft pick to clinch the deal.

He is playing very well in a contract year - stop me if you've heard this one before.  I like Casey, but you have to give to get.  With the recent signings something had to give.  I support this trade.  A hockey trade of all things.

Unless something else happens (maybe in the summer at this point) I think Dahlin will be almost permanently moved to the right side.

He makes 7.3 a year ? Wtf

4 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Not sure about that.  Byram was a major piece on a cup team, performed exceptionally well, and unfortunately has had a few concussions.  The Ave’s already have the best defensemen in the league eating up minutes and they know they will eventually have to pay Byram if he continues his trajectory.  The Ave’s also needed forwards badly.  

The Sabres have their top 2 centers locked up long-term and Casey isn’t the type of bottom 6 center we need.  

I expect both players will do well on and for their new teams, and both teams will be better for it.  Plus this finally gets that 10-ply pretender Joker off this team.

they have a 1 and 2 center on paper. not in reality. tage is the only legit top 6 center this team has. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

no, that was his total contract value. he makes approx 3.8 a year

25 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

This guy is paid top 3 D $.  He must have something to give.  He has one year left at $7.5M (or so).  What will he command on his next contract?  He was a highly rated D at the 2019 draft and went #4.  A cup winner who seems to be having an off year.  

Until a year or so ago most here wanted to dump Casey for a bag of pucks and were willing to toss is a draft pick to clinch the deal.

He is playing very well in a contract year - stop me if you've heard this one before.  I like Casey, but you have to give to get.  With the recent signings something had to give.  I support this trade.  A hockey trade of all things.

Unless something else happens (maybe in the summer at this point) I think Dahlin will be almost permanently moved to the right side.

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

IMG_4434.png

1 minute ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Not sure about that.  Byram was a major piece on a cup team, performed exceptionally well, and unfortunately has had a few concussions.  The Ave’s already have the best defensemen in the league eating up minutes and they know they will eventually have to pay Byram if he continues his trajectory.  The Ave’s also needed forwards badly.  

The Sabres have their top 2 centers locked up long-term and Casey isn’t the type of bottom 6 center we need.  

I expect both players will do well on and for their new teams, and both teams will be better for it.  Plus this finally gets that 10-ply pretender Joker off this team.

Ok.  Except the top 2 centers that are locked up are both playing worse than Casey, who is our best all around forward. 

Did this trade make the Sabres better?   I would say not by itself.   More moves are required.  Their Defense has high pedigree, but might lack diversity in the roles needed to be successful.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Their Defense has high pedigree, but might lack diversity in the roles needed to be successful.  

What's this (or any) team need with three ostensible studs on D? I really thought the roster building idea was: Dahlin, Power, and then figure out the rest on D. If this guy bounces back and earns a big(ger) contract, are the Sabres going to give it to him? Just seems like odd roster construction.

Unless ...

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

What's this (or any) team need with three ostensible studs on D? I really thought the roster building idea was: Dahlin, Power, and then figure out the rest on D. If this guy bounces back and earns a big(ger) contract, are the Sabres going to give it to him? Just seems like odd roster construction.

Unless ...

Unless, more trades are coming … 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

But my point is that if he wasn't "shopping" Mitts like he said he wasn't

Until the deal is done, you never announce you're trying to trade a player (unless they've asked for a trade).  If Kevyn had announced he was trying to trade Mitts and then no deal worked out, now you have a player on your team that knows you were trying to move him- very demotivating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

My purely speculative guess is that Adams will trade Joker and/or Mule in the off season. Byram will be paired with Dahlin. 

You don’t need to speculate, Granato has already said Bo is playing with Rasmus. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk what Mitts was asking for

Neither did Kevyn.  The last thing I saw from Mitts about contract stuff is that the Sabres never contacted his agent about an extension.

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good.  Why are they trading him two years later straight up for Mitts?  

Because they feel they have adequate defensive depth but needed help at center.  The Sabres have adequate forward depth and needed help at D.  In Cozzy's postgame he said they talked during the All-Star break and Byram said he wanted to come to Buffalo.  For him it's a great opportunity:  He's never going to break into the top pair in CO unless Makar or Toews gets injured, but here he has an opportunity to earn a first pair billet with Dahlin.

Byram has 3rd highest TOI/Game among CO Dmen, behind Makar & Toews.  He's a career + in +/-, although only a +1 this year.  I don't think they were giving up on him, they just wanted a middle six center and were willing to pay the price.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oddoublee said:

they have a 1 and 2 center on paper. not in reality. tage is the only legit top 6 center this team has. 

no, that was his total contract value. he makes approx 3.8 a year

Dylan is a reasonably solid #2 centre.

Sorry for the confusion on the salary - I was unclear in my post that Nill responded to.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's Bryson on the end.

Indeed.

Why would the new guy be there ?  

Is that Bryson's mum ?  She has it goin' on.  She seems a bit older that the other women in the shot - I trust the young lads brought along their sisters, eh.

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Is that Bryson's mum ?  She has it goin' on.  She seems a bit older that the other women in the shot - I trust the young lads brought along their sisters, eh.

Yeah, I'm sure she just brought some soft drinks out for the guys, eh?  😉 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

You don’t need to speculate, Granato has already said Bo is playing with Rasmus. 

Yes, but GMKA also said he was NOT shopping Mitts....he's a liar in my book and I don't trust DG either.  That said, I would expect to see them playing together tonight just as you mentioned.

• Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Dylan is a reasonably solid #2 centre.

Sorry for the confusion on the salary - I was unclear in my post that Nill responded to.

i like dylan - i just notice he is considerably better on the wing - and legit as a top 6 forward. i dont think he solves our long term issue with solidifying the 'spine' of the forward groups. 

but i seem to be in the minority as most fans believe our 1 and 2 C is set

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yes, but GMKA also said he was NOT shopping Mitts....he's a liar in my book

You don't understand anything about human resource management, do you?  You never say you're moving a player until the deal is done.

• Like (+1) 3