Losing culture defined in the words of Don Granato (narrated by Dr. Fred McFeely Rogers)

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Many of the players are better than last year?  Uh no.   

Three players have improved - JJP, UPL, and Greenway.    Mitts and Z and Joker are playing about the same as last year.   So many important players are playing worse- Tage, Tuch, Skinner, Power, Cozens, Dahlin, Muel, Okposo, VO  - all having worse seasons. 

I see only a few positives and I don't see Donny improving this group.  I see a poor coaching staff with limited technical know how, the game day coaching is also very bad, and the players are too comfortable with being a poor team.  

Not one player will own this drought.  They can own it without taking the blame for 13 years of it.  I keep seeing quotes from this team about who was not there for all of it, Dahls, Tage, Donny, Kevy - they should just own it and end it.   

Mentally week from Pegula down.  

Blow up the coaching staff this off season, conduct a real coaching review and and bring in someone that has won on the NHL level.  Then let him work on bringing in a new staff, installing NHL systems, and allow him to influence the roster.  Shut down the country club.  There are coaches out there that can take the next step, and more.  

Yes they are. Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it untrue no matter how much you want it.  I don't consider Tuch and Skinner as having that much worse seasons in light of their injuries and games missed. Power?  He is having a lot of bad games this year...guess what? He had a lot of bad games last year but for some reason this board gave him more credit than he deserved.  I think Jokiharju is having a better year than last year. I think Clifton is having a better season than the group of players that played 3rd pair roles last year.  Mitts is statistically slightly better in terms of production than last year, but he is playing better in his own end by quite a bit comapred to last year (eye test AND metrics show that). 

Okposo is scoring more than last year, AND he is on the ice for less goals against.  How is that a worse season?  If you want to say 'the eye test' shows he is slowing down, late to get back on some plays...I can agree with that. But if that is true, then HOW is he scoring more and on the ice for less goals against than last year UNLESS it is postive coaching?

The ENTIRE forward group has gotten better i their own zone the last 2 months...numbers show that..the eye test shows that...compared to what they did all of last year and the first part of this year.  If an entire group playing better in an aspect of the game isn't a result of coaching...I don't know what is.

You all can just blame coaching, blame DG and say he is awful if you want to.  But if you actually watch this team, if you analyze what is going on, the ONLY thing you can chalk up to being worse last year with regard to 'coaching' is the Power play.  I know 'fire the coach' makes all of you feel better, but tell me specifically how the coacing is worse than last year.  I see the TEAM being worse than last year for various reasons, but I just don't see how coaching has dropped off considerably.  I'm waiting for examples from this board, but I'm getting very few of them, just accusations I am 'cherry picking' things to support my argument, but the ones I am getting on the other side (if I get any) don't even have any depth to them.

Pay a good, experienced assistant to fix that.  MOST of the fall-off in offense is due to more injuries to key players than last year, and an decrese in shooting percentage from Tage and Cozens (they are getting about the same number of shots from last year....the number of high danger and center of the ice chance by both is about the same, they are IN POSITION like they were last year to score, they are just doing it less, coachign has them in position to take the same shots and get them from the same areas.)

Edited by mjd1001

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The ENTIRE forward group has gotten better i their own zone the last 2 months...numbers show that..the eye test shows that...compared to what they did all of last year and the first part of this year.  If an entire group playing better in an aspect of the game isn't a result of coaching...I don't know what is.

The confusing anomaly for me is that in the end stretch last year the played borderline fantastic (OK, maybe not like, right at the borderline, but they could see it if they squinted) team defense. For the most part, they are getting back to near that level.

I don't disagree with your general premise, and they certainly have improved steadily since Jan 1, but I am a bit concerned that it was there at the end of last year, then went up in smoke to start the year, now they are getting back to it? That part is odd to me.

44 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Okposo is scoring more than last year, AND he is on the ice for less goals against.  How is that a worse season?  If you want to say 'the eye test' shows he is slowing down, late to get back on some plays...I can agree with that. But if that is true, then HOW is he scoring more and on the ice for less goals against than last year UNLESS it is postive coaching?

I think this is mostly attributable to the health of the roster.

Last season, the top line was healthy and effective (this year it's been a crash-and-burn 2nd line at best), Quinn was healthy all season, and through 3/4 of the year, Olofsson was scoring. Okposo was skating with Girgs to help Krebs learn the all-around game, and then his extra shifts came with leads in the third period when scoring wasn't needed (and JJP/Quinn sat).

This season, the entire team has gotten better at team defense. Still maddening for 20 minutes each game (usually the 1st period), but collectively better. But health-wise, Okposo's been playing with the top 6 a bunch more and has contributed on the scoresheet. Quinn and Olofsson have been non-factors and Tuch has been shuffling around the lineup.

It's like his season 2 years ago. Okposo was forced into top-6 minutes and PP time and netted 8 PPG on the season -- which was a positive blip on his stats as a Sabre. He's a vet who can still move up the lineup for short stretches.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

They want to win, they feel they can, they see a way they can, I'm happy for that and proud of them for that. 

Ya, I see a way they can win too. All you have to do is sit on your couch and watch Florida, or Vegas, or Boston, or any of the other teams actually doing it. They will have time to see lots of it in May and June. 

Don Granato's words have no meaning anymore.....he frankly sounds more like Krueger every day.  Word salads that in the end don't mean anything other than the same old stuff we've been hearing repeatedly.  No accountability, just pure coddling of players and coaches that simply isn't working.  If I was a player, I would not have the patience to listen to him day in and day out.  

A culture of losing is made possible by a lack of accountability....of himself, his staff and his players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1