Happy Birthday Mr. Sabre, Gilbert Perreault!

Norcal

I love Gilbert. Saw him play since his rookie year. He lived around the corner from our house back in the day. One time, he drove up, shirtless, into my parents' driveway, interrupting some one-on-one street hockey.

He was looking for someone with a riding lawnmower to cut his grass. Those kind of lawnmowers were pretty scarce in those days...Fact is, I would've cut his grass with a pair of scissors if he asked. I knew the guy he was looking for, a fat kid down the street. I hooked them up. And then he was gone. A memory of a lifetime in a span of five minutes.

It's a shame he left on a sour note and that the Sabres never offered Gilbert an important lifetime position with the Sabres, for all he's done for Buffalo hockey. 

gilbertperreault_2018-10-29.jpg

images.jpg

3425da7f3fa3af83d7dccd157b176717--hockey-rules-sporty.jpg

gilgilles.jpg

Dionne-Big-CH-768x422.jpg

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• Norcal changed the title to Happy Birthday Mr. Sabre, Gilbert Perreault!
36 minutes ago, Quint said:

I love Gilbert. Saw him play since his rookie year. He lived around the corner from our house back in the day. One time, he drove up, shirtless, into my parents' driveway, interrupting some one-on-one street hockey.

He was looking for someone with a riding lawnmower to cut his grass. Those kind of lawnmowers were pretty scarce in those days...Fact is, I would've cut his grass with a pair of scissors if he asked. I knew the guy he was looking for, a fat kid down the street. I hooked them up. And then he was gone. A memory of a lifetime in a span of five minutes.

By the way, please fix the headline. It's Perreault, not Perrault. The man is an NHL legend, please don't misspell his name.

gilbertperreault_2018-10-29.jpg

images.jpg

3425da7f3fa3af83d7dccd157b176717--hockey-rules-sporty.jpg

gilgilles.jpg

Dionne-Big-CH-768x422.jpg

Fox 6 Respect GIF by WBRC FOX6 News

• Thanks (+1) 1

If you want to see Gilbert at his best, do yourselves a favour and find Canada's first 4 games of the 1981 Canada Cup where Perreault was the defencive conscience of "The Dream Line" -- Perreault-Gretzky-LaFleur.  Then ponder that it took Gretzky, Bossy, Trotter, LaFleur, and Kasatonov 2 or 3 extra games to tie or pass him in scoring.

Addendum: in spite of only playing 4 games out of 7, Perreault got votes for the tournament MVP.  He was that good.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Happy Birthday Gilbert.  

The 70’s era teams were the best, the most fun, and most tied into the community. Still a bunch if them around Buffalo.  

Knox did everything right as an owner.  The product on ice and the presentation of it was top notch and classy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.