Samuelsson Day to Day with a UBI

Brawndo

Just now, Pimlach said:

Good question.   I was not aware of a 30 day thingy. 

When I wrote my original comment on the subject I was thinking of the waiver thingy but forgot to mention it.  When you brought it up I remembered something about 30 days.  But I honestly don't know about how all that works plus I'm apparently only remembering things in small increments these days.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

He was scratched for at least one Amerks game.  Not sure if it means anything as they have 8 legit AHL DMen. 

Appert said he's scratching players based on rotations and matchups because he has the "good problem" of "too many quality players" and even went so far as to publicly thank the "veterans"--I assume Stillman and others--for understanding part of his job is getting younger players ice time and the need to share the load.

At least based on what was said, Stillman wasn't scratched due to his effort, health, conditioning or play. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So is there going to be a Ryan Johnson callup?

Fun fact: Novikov has played better in the AHL and looked more like he belongs so far this season than Ryan Johnson has--despite the latter's better performance in the preseason.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Maybe not, but if they know it's just a game or two I could see giving him that to bust his NHL cherry.

Not likely, unless they suddenly have a change of heart about waiving UPL.  If Samuelsson is day to day, they aren't going to put him on IR as that puts him out of the lineup for at least 7 days which would cost him 3 games minimum.  They can't bring a D up from Ra-cha-cha (nor a F for that matter) without making a corresponding move on the big club.  Somebody needs to go to IR, get traded, or get loaned elsewhere (Ra-cha-cha, WA, Jacksonville, other AHL locale, etc) in order to bring another player up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

You're right, there's also the waiver issue, but if they cleared waivers at the season's start, they don't have to clear waivers again for 30 days, innit?  They can just be sent back down?  (Or are beginning-of-the-season waivers different?)

When a player subject to waivers clears them and is loaned to the AHL squad and then subsequently gets recalled to the team that waived him, he doesn't have to clear waivers again should they decide to send him back to the AH squad until he's been up for at least 30 days or IIRC 10 games (whichever he reaches 1st).  Those totals are cumulative, they don't restart after subsequent recalls.  So, if Stillman comes back for 3 days and 2 games and then goes back down, he'd be able to be up for another 26 days &/or 7 more games before hitting the threshold on a subsequent recall.

But that isn't the issue in why Stillman or Johnson can't come back up now.  The Sabres have 23 players on the active roster.  Unless one is removed from that, there is no room for any other players until the trade deadline has passed.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When a player subject to waivers clears them and is loaned to the AHL squad and then subsequently gets recalled to the team that waived him, he doesn't have to clear waivers again should they decide to send him back to the AH squad until he's been up for at least 30 days or IIRC 10 games (whichever he reaches 1st).  Those totals are cumulative, they don't restart after subsequent recalls.  So, if Stillman comes back for 3 days and 2 games and then goes back down, he'd be able to be up for another 26 days &/or 7 more games before hitting the threshold on a subsequent recall.

But that isn't the issue in why Stillman or Johnson can't come back up now.  The Sabres have 23 players on the active roster.  Unless one is removed from that, there is no room for any other players until the trade deadline has passed.

And this is why you don't waste space carrying three (3) goalies.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

And this is why you don't waste space carrying three (3) goalies.

They have been clear as to who is #1, they need to bite the bullet and pick a #2.

Tokarski and Coolley are not chopped liver if one of UPL/Comrie get claimed. These 4 could all play some NHL hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

UPL should be in the AHL as well. Comrie is not far removed from that level.

Tokarski has almost as many NHL games as UPL and Comrie combined.

Coolley has better AHL numbers than UPL.

Low bars all.  None of them are NHL talent.

Just now, Weave said:

Low bars all.  None of them are NHL talent.

I know, but that’s what they have to work with. Just saying they should send one down (UPL) to make room for another player on the roster.

I don’t see the point of having 3 goalies up when 2 of them are about the same caliber as the AHL guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I was going to try to make the case that Comrie could be an NHL talent, but after reviewing his career…the guy has only played 47 NHL games and he is 28 years old. Your point is a good one. 

Tim Thomas got his 1st 4 NHL games at 28.  He didn't become a regular until 3 years later.

(Not saying that would make Comrie a GOOD NHL talent, just that he could very well be an NHL talent.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.