Global Conflict

SABRES 0311

Based on recommendation, this thread is for discussing the various conflicts impacting the United States. The reason for one thread covering multiple conflicts is international alliances and potential for individual conflicts affecting others. 

Israel/Hamas/Iran https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-gaza-attack-10-09-23/index.html

Russia/Ukraine: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/09/ukraine-war-live-updates-latest-news-on-russia-and-the-war-in-ukraine.html

China/Taiwan: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/china-taiwan-weekly-update-october-5-2023

On 10/11/2023 at 7:44 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

I didn’t know where else to put it. I imagine it would have made its way into the politics club if I put it in the main thread.

It would have been moved.  I’m just commenting on the state of this club.  Its not active at all.

Granted, given the hard feelings overall during the last 6 yrs we might all be better off that things die here.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:40 AM, LGR4GM said:

In the very beginning the narrator talks about power balance. This has been ongoing issue in the region since the Afghan withdrawal. It’s not unexpected but with a much smaller U.S. and allied presence, other actors will take advantage of the freedom of movement. This includes terrorist and paramilitary actions.

I told my wife. There hasn’t been much talk about these groups since COVID. They never went away, stopped recruiting, or planning. This attack, despite their losses and repercussions will embolden them and others.

The U.S. is funding Ukraine in Europe. I wouldn’t put it past Russia via proxy (Iran/Syria) to do the same in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, Russia and China and NK have been in the news working together.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/09/15/china/china-kim-putin-summit-russia-north-korea-intl-hnk/index.html

Apparently tomorrow is supposed to be a Global Day of Jihad. I’d post an article but there are a lot from all over. No idea how valid the threat is but I know it’s 2023 and the world is weird.

Obviously anyone including terrorists aim to maximize damage. Stay safe and be aware of your surroundings. Hopefully nothing happens.

9 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’ve seen a couple tv reports that talk about both. I haven’t seen too many about Russia/Ukraine.

I haven’t seen (and haven’t looked) for any count of casualties in Ukraine.  It has to be substantial.

14 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Israel preparing to invade Gaza. Bombing the main road in/out of Gaza to Egypt is what is known as preparation of the battle space. We called it shock and awe before the Iraq invasion for reference.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/14/1205951123/gaza-israel-palestinians-flee-ground-assault

It should be called the murder of tens of thousands (over a hundred thousand in the case of Iraq) of innocent people.

16 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Israel preparing to invade Gaza. Bombing the main road in/out of Gaza to Egypt is what is known as preparation of the battle space. We called it shock and awe before the Iraq invasion for reference.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/14/1205951123/gaza-israel-palestinians-flee-ground-assault

As I understand it, that is the only way out of Gaza.  A demand that civilians evacuate and then Bombing the evacuation route is disturbing to say the least.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

As I understand it, that is the only way out of Gaza.  A demand that civilians evacuate and then Bombing the evacuation route is disturbing to say the least.

Yeah, aside from loss of civilian life, the more people in the city the more difficult it will be.

I think Hamas needs to be dealt with for what they did, I however do not believe carpet bombing the entire Gaza strip is the way to do it. A Palestinian American child was killed in Chicago because of the hate towards all Palestinians that is being amplified basically everywhere. There has to be some middle ground between Israel can do whatever they want and Palestinians wanting some sort of real country makes them antisemitic. What Hamas did was evil but if the solution to that is genocide of an entire ppl, the solution is wrong. Sadly I think the ground invasion of Gaza is all but guaranteed at this point. 

the lord of the rings GIF

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Hamas needs to be dealt with for what they did, I however do not believe carpet bombing the entire Gaza strip is the way to do it. A Palestinian American child was killed in Chicago because of the hate towards all Palestinians that is being amplified basically everywhere. There has to be some middle ground between Israel can do whatever they want and Palestinians wanting some sort of real country makes them antisemitic. What Hamas did was evil but if the solution to that is genocide of an entire ppl, the solution is wrong. Sadly I think the ground invasion of Gaza is all but guaranteed at this point. 

the lord of the rings GIF

Agree on your sentiments. It looks like the ground invasion is a go but I can see the U.S. talking Israel out of it. We’ll see. 

This whole thing has broader potential IMO. Russia has its own ties in the region with entities we are not friends with. Those guys are friends with Hamas and Hezbollah. 

11 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Agree on your sentiments. It looks like the ground invasion is a go but I can see the U.S. talking Israel out of it. We’ll see. 

This whole thing has broader potential IMO. Russia has its own ties in the region with entities we are not friends with. Those guys are friends with Hamas and Hezbollah. 

True, I do think however that Russia is currently overextended in Ukraine and will find it difficult to offer much support. That said however, I am sure they can supply arms shipments to the middle east which might be all the support some actors need. If other Muslim majority countries decide Israel's response is too much, then it gets escalated. Egypt, Syria, and Iran are the big ones I am thinking of with Saudi Arabia another name to watch. All of them could stand by though and I know Egypt at least has tried to open a humanitarian corridor to Gaza with US help. 

The question I see in all this is China. China is not overextended in another conflict. Who's side they ultimately want to support and how they show that support is of great interest. As a global power, China has the means and ability to change the game so to speak in the region. That said, they may not find it in their interest to interfere openly but they could tie up US assets through subtle supplies to enemies and then use this conflict to take the long awaited steps for reunification with Taiwan. That said, my understanding of the Taiwan situation is that China would not be ready to invade until the early 2030's and would prefer a more peaceful solution (like getting a pro China government elected and then just absorbing Taiwan). 

Board is set and the pieces are moving. 

• Like (+1) 1

China is the happiest now, they want some parts of Siberia badly, already imported a good amount of Chinese population to give Russia the Ukraine treatment and say its Chinese anyway.    But its easier when Russia already lost 400k + soldiers.

It would also free up part of the ocean USA/japan can not block when they invade Taiwan.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

True, I do think however that Russia is currently overextended in Ukraine and will find it difficult to offer much support. That said however, I am sure they can supply arms shipments to the middle east which might be all the support some actors need. If other Muslim majority countries decide Israel's response is too much, then it gets escalated. Egypt, Syria, and Iran are the big ones I am thinking of with Saudi Arabia another name to watch. All of them could stand by though and I know Egypt at least has tried to open a humanitarian corridor to Gaza with US help. 

The question I see in all this is China. China is not overextended in another conflict. Who's side they ultimately want to support and how they show that support is of great interest. As a global power, China has the means and ability to change the game so to speak in the region. That said, they may not find it in their interest to interfere openly but they could tie up US assets through subtle supplies to enemies and then use this conflict to take the long awaited steps for reunification with Taiwan. That said, my understanding of the Taiwan situation is that China would not be ready to invade until the early 2030's and would prefer a more peaceful solution (like getting a pro China government elected and then just absorbing Taiwan). 

Board is set and the pieces are moving. 

I think China would definitely want a “peaceful” reunification. The power vacuum in the Middle East post U.S. GWOT is probably enticing to them as they continue to expand their reach/influence. Any way to divert U.S. assets and attention is a win for Russia and China IMO.

Nice post BTW!

On 10/14/2023 at 1:17 AM, Weave said:

I haven’t seen (and haven’t looked) for any count of casualties in Ukraine.  It has to be substantial.

Ukraine military already lost 100.000 + soldiers, Russia probably lost over 300.000 + 

Civilian casualties in Ukraine probably around 50.000 easy already but more if you count the war started in 2014.

We are engaged in a shadow war with Iran at the very least. Iran-backed rebels in Yemen thought they’d launch a few cruise missiles at Israel but they were easily destroyed by our anti missile batteries aboard a couple navy destroyers already in the Red Sea. Dozens of A-10 Warthogs arrived in the region, ostensibly to take out the hundreds of Iranian missile and heavily armed gunboats massed on the Lebanese coast if they should decide to attack the fleet in the Eastern Mediterranean. Not to mention the all the other assets we have in the region.